Mouse house

robedsaul

I have another question -- the thought of making a mouse house really appeals to me because years and years ago, my grandmother made a really cute one that hung on the wall, no deeper than a shadow box. My mother had it, but no one is sure if it is still around, packed up or whatever, because no one's seen it in years...Is there anything like that still out there that we could make ourselves?

Thanks so much!

Heather

Heather, read one of your previous posts--mouse houses are fun. One with plans how to create it was in Nutshell News years ago......do you by chance collect the Fitz & Floyd Charming Tails? :lol: I have a few, not as many as I would wish. My mother began to collect the little hallmark mice years ago that were only $2-5 each, each one was for a different holiday, and we still have them. They stopped making those and started with the Charming Tails. I have a couple that are real dear to me, and my mother buys them for me also.

Have you thought of places mice would live? How about a small sugarplum cottage, or a buttercup? Another thing you could do is start with a vignette scene like an artificial birds' nest, with the mouse curled up inside sleeping, and fairy watching or a little mouse living in a shoe! Most of the Charming Tails mice fit in nicely with a 1 inch scaled scene, and they are always doing something. I would start from there, and decide what your little mouse should be doing, one hoeing a garden in a terra cotta pot on its side would be cute also! :)

By the way, my family is from N.C. too! Most of them live in Rutherfordton, and Shelby, or Polkville thereabouts.

LisaN,

Thanks for replying -- no, I haven't even heard of the Fitz & Floyd Charming Tails, but I did look on the site, and the figurines are simply adorable! Luckily, the site said that my local Hallmark store carries them, so I may just have to go and check them out! Thanks for letting me know about them! I've decided to just go with an Arthur and do a regular-looking house, only have mice as the residents! :blink:

I'm keeping your other ideas in mind, though -- they sound really sweet and cute as well!

Heather

I love the mouse house idea. There are also some cute mini stuffed mice that you can buy. I don't know how to attach a photo to my posts, so I put one in my gallery album a few minutes ago ... entitled Matilda Mouse. She's only 1 1/4" tall. She'd make a good resident mouse. Earlier I was looking at World of Bears and saw a bride and groom mouse much like Matilda.

I guess that would be okay if you wanted a married matilda mouse in your house. But now I'm wondering, if several cats are a pride of cats, and dogs run in packs, what are a group of mice called?

Susanne

I am finding the idea of a mouse house really sweet, and I can envision this in a large boot, sort of like from the "Borrowers" book. Perhaps an old army boot could be used? Hmm, I know we have an army surplus shop half an hour drive from here, perhaps they might have one of those huuuuge ones there? I am thinking one could treat the surface with mod podge or some sort of a sealer, cut a side part out of it and treat the inside as well, add the pieces of furniture "borrowed" from the RL sized things like caps and sewing thread spools for plates and tables, perhaps a stuffed mitten for the comfy chair. Placing it on a tray and decorate with silk flowers etc, could be a nice window sill deocaration?

Or I could bring it wit me to school and use it when telling stories about the little bad mouse who doesn't want to learn and meets the wise Mrs Owl....

Oh those ideas are so tempting, must stay focused, must stay focused so that I can get a project or two finished before diving into yet another one LOL

Hugs

Anna, I really love your idea of creating a scene along the lines of the Borrowers for a mouse house. The stuffed mitten chair sounds so cozy.

My New Year's project is to renovate a 2-story, four room house that I'd bought off of ebay. I'd had thoughts of it being a home for stuffed mini bears, but the mouse idea is also tempting.

As I type, one of my cats Trinity is lying on her "blankie" next to the keyboard watching me type and occasionally burying a pencil under her blanket, and then retrieving it. I'm working on persuading her to sit on her blanket rather than parade over the keyboard. Her little feet love to upset the computer, but her favourite tactic to get my attention is to roll on the computer mouse when my fingers are poised to click.

Trinity is always very interested in what I'm going. I can't go and fiddle around in my dollhouse unless she's sound asleep. She follows me around most of the day, and when she's tired and wants to sleep she "peeps" and wants me to settle in one room so she can curl up and sleep soundly.

Susanne

Susanne,

Which album is Matilda Mouse in? I couldn't find her!

I just bought a collection of little stuffed mice on clearance in the toy dept. of K-Mart a couple of days ago, but I can't remember what they are called! (My MIL has them -- they're part of my Christmas present!) I'm curious to see if they're the same as your mouse.

Thanks!

Heather

Heather: I've put Matilda Mouse in the Gallery (on this Greenleaf site ... at the top of the page ... Forum Home... Guidelines ... Gallery). She's in the first gallery listing entitled "Matilda Mouse". Let me know if you see her - she's a darling!

Susanne