Screen resolution?

Mini Man

What screen resolution do you keep your monitor set to?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What screen resolution do you keep your monitor set to?

• 640 x 480
    • 800 x 600
    • 1024 x 768
    • Higher than all of these

Hello! I wanted to take a quick poll to see what the average member has his monitor set to. If you are unsure, in Windows you can check by right clicking on your desktop and selecting properties. A window will pop up and if you select the tab titled “Settings”, you will see a section called Screen resolution which will provide you with the info.

Thanks!

Dean

I answered the poll, but hafta say such polls make me nervous... make me think people are looking to change their website. So forgive me if I jump in where unwanted or un-needed, but please don't make the web site any wider that it is. ;)

I have a 21 inch Digital LCD monitor set at 1600 x 1200... but people make their web sites too wide and it's impossible to read sentences on this screen (even with the browser window significantly reduced). Optimum line length for readibility is 11-12 words.

Again, forgive me for offering unasked for opinions (particularly since you haven't stated why you wanted this info), but while I love my monitor, it makes it really tough to read some web sites.

Jivvy

I was hoping this was a test to make sure features weren't requiring resolution that was too high! :lol:

If not, here's another vote for not increasing width. Although my screen resolution is higher than the three alternatives, I use a laptop computer exclusively. So sites designed for high-res on a desktop screen either (1) require scrolling sideways ;) or (2) stack so much junk at the top of the page that I have to scroll down a full screen just to see if there's anything new to read :lol: .

I agree Jivvy! There is nothing worse then having to use the scroll bar when looking at a site. The good thing about our forum is that the width scales to your screen size. If you hit the size down button (the button with two little boxes in the top right of you title bar between the minimize and maximize buttons) you will see what I mean. If you adjust you browser window to around half your screen width it will give you an idea of what someone experiences when they view our forum at 800 x 600. The minimum screen resolution support by Windows XP is 800 x 600, so that is the minimum resolution I work with for our websites.

What sparked my curiosity was a situation I came across at our Gallery. The Gallery will automatically resize a photo when uploaded to predetermined maximum dimension. I had this set to 800 x 600, but silly me, I didn’t take into account the forum boarder and since I too run a high screen resolution, I never notice a problem. Well I just added a new Gallery, Off Topic, and someone running 800 x 600 pointed out to me that they needed to use the scroll bar to view the pictures. I have correct the problem by setting the width to a maximum of 680 (the software will only scale back the picture if it exceeds this width), but some of the pictures that have been previously uploaded could potentially be too wide for some members. I have the ability to batch convert them to the new max width, but I’m a little uncomfortable doing so. I was just curious to the percentage that might be affected.

Thanks!

Dean

I was hoping this was a test to make sure features weren't requiring resolution that was too high!  ;)

That’s pretty much the situation Wende… I’m concerned that I might have overlooked issues only present at a lower resolution.

whew. ;)

In all honesty, I hate the whole "liquid design" method of message boards. My standard browser setting is fine for sites that are locked in at 800x600 (lots of nice white space), but message boards (they're all liquid these days) are too wide -- no scrolling for me, just long lines of text.

But I don't expect anybody to do anything about it. I read a dozen or so message boards daily (no wonder I can't get anything done) and only ONE of them is designed to my liking. Apparently, I'm in a teeny-tiny minority.

It's okay, though... the content of the message boards is way more important than my nitpicking of the designs. :lol:

Hi Linda! Try right clicking on your desktop and selecting properties. A window will pop up and if you select the tab titled “Settings”, you will see a section called Screen resolution which will provide you with the info.

I hope that works!