Garfield rehab

GrammieCal

Either I got lucky on Craigslist - a mostly built (unbuilt parts available and intact) Garfield for pennies - or I am about to begin the Rehab from Hell project. And this when I have a perfectly nice, pristine Westville sitting in its box, waiting ....and that cute little Brookfield, neither of which could be anywhere near the trouble I sense this Garfield might be.

So, ladies - you who have far more experience than I - how do you go about rehabbing a house that someone else put together? My first thought is to surgically remove the stairs for access to paint, wallpaper, etc, then properly finish them and add a runner and reinstall when their removal has served its purpose.

I would love to have your input - this is a lovely house and well-built as far as they went with it, and I just can't stand to see a beauty like this put out on the curb for trash pickup, which was about to be its fate.

Thanks for your help!

Carol

Oooo, the Garfield is a LOVELY house (mine is in my gallery!) Yes, I'd remove the steps as there are lots of areas around them that are inaccessible once they and the roof are in place. I'm guessing that the roof is on already? Get those rooms and roof dormers wallpapered or painted, before you put the steps back in. And you've probably discovered the hallway coming in from the kitchen door which is a challenge, too, with the wall in place :banana:

We'll want to see pics, of course! :ohyeah:

Removing the stairs form the second floor may be difficult. I got a partialy built gued with hotglue Garfield free from freecycle last year, It had to be taken complet;y apart and rebuilt. All I have acomplished so far is the main walls and the staircase. Then we had a small kitchen fire and it is currently suffering form smoke damage and lose walls as I had not completly glued it all togehter before i started moving it around during the remodel part of fixing our RL house.

Melissa

Congrats on your Garfield, it's a wonderful house. I would suggest taking off what you can (without much damage) to decorate. When I built mine (first house ever and way before the wonderful people here) I built the whole thing and then decorated it. Talk about a major pain in the butt :ohyeah: . It turned out okay but I would definitely do it differently now if I had the chance.