Wallpapering - sanded good enough?

MamaV

Hi everyone, I'm trying to determine if I've sanded enough to wallpaper yet. 

image.png.8149d0c9f55967ada69c34fb66569632.png

Clearly it isn't pristine but I'm so tired of sanding...am I being lazy, or is it good enough? The old wallpaper is on good and tight so I think I won't have a choice in terms of leaving it where it is - it seems like more damage, time, and effort to get it off. Thoughts? 

Try wetting the old wallpaper with a 10% solution of white vinegar in water and leave it on for an hour or so and then scrape it off with a metal putty knife and let the wood dry thoroughly, then give it another sand, wipe it down with  tack cloth and give it a coat of primer.  If it isn't smooth when the primer is dry, give it a thin coat of spackle or joint compound and when that's good & dry, sand it lightly, finishing it off with a crumpled piece of brown paper bag.  Wallpapering over old wallpaper could loosen the old wallpaper and make the new paper look messy.

• Like 1

Fabric softener and water is my go to. Mix equally in a spray bottle then score the paper (make marks in the paper with something sharp so the softener mix penetrates the surface of the paper and gets to the glue) then spray enough to wet the paper but don't over do it to mess up the wood underneath. Works quickly but longer you let set easier it is to get off. You can pull it up by hand it works so well but I use a narrow putty knife (anything similar would work) being careful not to gouge the wood. Wiping with a damp cloth and a final sand when dry should remove any softener residue. 

Edited by FurMama
Spelling
  • Like 1