John William Godward

John William Godward (9 August 1861 – 13 December 1922) was an English painter from the end of the Neo-Classicist era. He was a protégé of Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema, but his style of painting fell out of favour with the rise of modern art.

Godward is hands down my favorite painter. Sadly he committed suicide in 1922 reportedly leaving a note that a world that revered Picasso had no use for him

About 3 x 4" cherry frame with birdseye maple veneer trim

The white effect is, as usual, due to my lack of photographic skills

50huQ9j.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

This one is thought to be a self portrait. Not a lot of info as Godward was a very private person and his family destroyed a lot of his records when he ran off to italy with one of his models and they essentially disowned him

I am thinking of a clear lacquer over oil on this cherry wood frame - the picture isn't mounted permamently yet

YLafAgT.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

I had given away most of the framed pictures I had done for the Salon I am doing so I thought to frame up some new ones and finish this off hence the spurt of new framing

Mine is less fancy than the European Salons sort of an American version maybe I will do one with all American artists sometime these are mainly Victorian Classicists, Godward and Moore so far. I may add a Leighton

bTOkjol.jpg

Joel, what are the dimensions on that one?  (and is that the model he ran off to Italy with?)  My grandparents had a couple of textured prints framed, and those frames were relatively ornate and at least one was gilded.  They sort of "disappeared" after Grandma dies.

Posted (edited)

around 2 1/2 by 4 3/8 to the outside edge of the frame

there is a really good article here about the model he went to Italy with

https://www.sothebys.com/en/articles/mysterious-muses-the-beauty-scandal-and-tragedy-of-godward-and-tissots-favoured-models

and also the Pettigrew sisters were favorite models of his. The also modelled for Millias, Roussel, Whistler, Hunt, Leighton, Poynter, Sargent, and others. I need to look through my book on Moore to see if he used any of the sisters

https://eclecticlight.co/2018/01/21/it-takes-two-the-pettigrew-sisters-and-aestheticism/

Edited by jaxenro

That is so lovely.  Swap out the second picture on the left, middle row, for the one on the bottom to see what you think, since you're going to be swapping around.