self-stick wallpaper

Hi Greenleaf Forum!

I'm new here. I've purchased a few sheets of self-stick wallpaper but wondering about the best way to install them. I see a lot of posts using wallpaper paste and mod podge. Is there somewhere I can learn about applying self-stick wallpaper? Or should I keep the backing on and use the traditional wallpaper paste or mod podge.

Since this is my first dollhouse and first post to the forum, all advice is welcome.

Tracey

By self-stick, do you mean the kind you wet the back of and it's supposed to stick?  I tried some once; I also tried the shelf "paper" (really sleazy plastic) that I peeled a backing off of.  The latter is bad about wanting to bubble and not lay flat, and it shrinks over time; the self-stick (mostly border papers) just didn't want to stay on once the stickum dried, so I now know to use my premixed wallpaper paste from the hardware store.

Since you're brand new, why not post us an intro in the Newcomers' section of the forum and let us know which house you're building/ decorating.

Edited by havanaholly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

By self-stick, do you mean the kind you wet the back of and it's supposed to stick?  I tried some once; I also tried the shelf "paper" (really sleazy plastic) that I peeled a backing off of.  The latter is bad about wanting to bubble and not lay flat, and it shrinks over time; the self-stick (mostly border papers) just didn't want to stay on once the stickum dried, so I now know to use my premixed wallpaper paste from the hardware store.

Since you're brand new, why not post us an intro in the Newcomers' section of the forum and let us know which house you're building/ decorating.

Ah ha. Yes, I should be better with my word choice. It is a peel-and-stick wallpaper that I bought from Tiny Papers on Etsy. Because I bought enough for mistakes, I'm guessing I should cut a small thin strip, reaching from floor to ceiling, and see how stickable and movable it is.  That might give me enough confidence to install.

Thank you for the prompt to introduce myself in the Newcomers' section. Done!

Tracey

• Like 1

Good idea to test first.  If your walls are primed with a flat paint or gesso and sanded smooth it shouldn't be a problem getting a peel & stick to stick.

Try a small piece see if it sticks to wax paper. If it doesn’t cut a piece to fit and put the peeled paper on that with just a little of the top edge showing. Then square up the top edge with the ceiling and stick it down then pull the wax paper down an inch at a time smoothing the paper to the wall 

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:24 PM, jaxenro said:

Try a small piece see if it sticks to wax paper. If it doesn’t cut a piece to fit and put the peeled paper on that with just a little of the top edge showing. Then square up the top edge with the ceiling and stick it down then pull the wax paper down an inch at a time smoothing the paper to the wall 

Stealing this idea!!!