The Progression of the No-Longer Unknown Colonial

MamaV

So upon finding out that my colonial is a Skil Craft Colonial, I'm trying to figure out what to call it besides the Unknown Colonial. 

Anyway, I updated it's gallery, but here's the gist: 

IMG_5471.jpeg

The windows had to go, which led to the siding releasing, so I just stripped the whole thing. Note the sizable split on the side; there's another on the opposite side as well. However, they seem to be mostly cosmetic, as the interior doesn't show a sign of them. The shingles were remarkably intact considering the rest of the house, but I didn't like them, so off they came. 

My hope and plan is to go to a local hobby shop and pick up replacement parts (windows, doors, shingles for starters), and by seeing those, get an idea of what style this house will have, and what title it will take on as a result. I also want to scrub up the inside, but I think that's a project for another day. If you have any suggestions, PLEASE let me know! 

• Like 1

I just love me a blank slate!  The house will start to tell you the story of what it wants to become, in your hands.  If the splits are actually there in the outside layer of the plywood, whatever exterior treatment will cover them up; and depending on what you go with, you can always fill them with wood putty or joint compound after priming (or before) and sand it smooth.  You could make non-working windows and pin-hinging doors isn't all that difficult with a nice bench vise and a magnetic gluing jig.

• 2 months later...

Hello all, I'm back and I'm stuck. The entire house is deconstructed, but also very crusty still. The glue is stubborn and the wallpaper even more so - to the degree that I may just leave some of the sections and paint/spackle over them completely. However, the biggest hang-up is all the detritus left from the deconstruction; the jagged wood edges and lips left, glued to the walls, mainly. I've tried prying it off, to pretty much no avail...the glue is hard as a rock. I've tried a little alcohol and a heat gun, neither did anything noticeable.  Do I have to sand ALL of it? What's the easiest, laziest way to reconstruction?? Of course it also has to look perfect, so there's that too, tee hee 🤭

But seriously, do I just whitewash the whole thing as best as possible, dry fit it to make sure the ugly bits are re-covered, and just go for it? I'm a "do it right or do it over" person and I sure hate doing it over....

Sanding the worst parts might make you feel better in the long run, and I tend to zone out doing repetitive routine stuff like that and have conversations with the house.  By all means dry fit to see where you might not have to sand as much.  

• Like 1