Tool inquiries

MamaV

Hi everybody, 

I'm replacing some dollhouse pieces and I need to cut them out of thin (1/4 cm or even a little thinner) basswood planks. What tool would you recommend for that? 

Also, I have to disassemble the Unknown Colonial a bit, and can't tell if pieces are held on with hot glue or old, old wood glue. Suggestions? 

I'll keep digging, but I figured I would start this thread so I would remember what I was researching in the first place! Thanks!

For cutting basswood, I generally use a regular utility knife, or an easy cutter (mitre cutter) if it's super thin. If you take a hairdryer and put it at whatever wall you want to disassemble, turn it on high heat for a few minutes, then attempt to move/remove the wall-if it moves, it's likely hot glued. If not, it's likely regular glue.

• Like 1

Thank you! I feel better about wanting to use the utility knife, I was worried I was just picking the most handy tool! I'll have to borrow my Mom's hairdryer to test it but I'll do that as soon as I can. 

• Like 1

For straight cuts I have a 6" and a 12" steel ruler with cork backs that I use with my Stanley utility knife (preferred by me because I can retract the blade as soon as I stop using it).  The cork back holds the ruler in place on the wood.

• Like 2