Seeking advice about aging a copper roof

nutwife

I recently acquired my first dollhouse, which has a rather epic copper roof on both parts (it is a two-sided dollhouse with a turret, some gables, a deep covered porch--a lot of roof, basically).  I would like to repaint the teal siding in some shade of purple, and was thinking that the copper roof would look lovely with some sort of a patina on it.  My question is whether anyone here has any experience doing patinas on copper?  I am finding lots of information online about FAUX patina work, and some instructions about putting patina on copper by placing the copper in a sealed container overnight with salt and vinegar . . . but what I am really looking for is information on a solution that you can paint onto the copper, and I am not sure if that will actually work (although I did find one article about using Miracle Gro with water for a blue patina, and Miracle Gro with red wine vinegar for a green patina?).

Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't want to just "wing it" and accidentally ruin this beautiful piece, but at the same time I DO sort of have my heart set on changing the whole look of the outside of the house.  😉

I think KathieB experimented with various ways to achieve the verdigris of weathered copper on a copper roof.  If you study color photos of RL copper roofs (such as those on the 17th century municipal building in the old part of Quebec) you can try mixing the colors.  I would use acrylics or other water-soluble paints, in case you decide later to restore the roof to its original glory.