Christopher Cole 'The Beauchamp' Georgian terrace- missing stair

lavenderlilliput

I'm renovating a 1/24 scale doll's house I've had since I was a kid. No-one in my family remembers where it came from, but some Google sleuthing indicates the model has existed since at least 1975. According to this source it's called the Beauchamp, and was made by Christopher Cole. I would have gotten it in the 90s/early 2000s but it's possible it was second-hand.

The stairs are ones you can take in and out, with little slots to fit them into. There should be two sets of stairs, but one of them is missing. I'm not sure what's the best way to approach this. Trying to find the exact right stairs seems like a long shot. Also the two rooms are slightly different heights; the kitchen is 5 6/8 inches and the living room is 5 1/8 (this is the missing staircase).

I was going to order two stair kits and just make them both, but obviously now I would have to order two different kits, or find one that would work for both. The other option is just ordering one stair kit and keeping the original set I do have, but then the stairs would probably not match. Also, the stairs I do have don't have a banister. I don't think they ever did, but I'd like to add one, and ideally I'd like both sets of stairs to have matching banisters.

I am UK based. Does anyone have any suggestions about:

• Kits I could get that would work for both heights, or brands/sellers that have multiple options that would work
  • Places I could get both a staircase kit and just a banister that would match
  • Finding an original of the missing staircase (unlikely, I know)
  • Ways I could DIY both sets of stairs
  • Any other suggestions

The house is meant to be a Georgian terrrace but I'm furnishing it for a 1930s setting, so as long as the stairs don't look obviously post-30s I'm not fussed. This is my first doll's house renovation and I'm very much learning as I go, so patience is appreciated. 

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a picture of the stairs? (You need five posts before you can start an album, but you should be able to attach a picture to your posts in the meantime.)

There aren't a lot of options in half scale, so the standard staircase is this one: https://miniatures.com/1-24-scale-staircase-kit-by-houseworks/

It comes with spindles and a railing, but you can also buy these separately:

https://miniatures.com/1-24-scale-staircase-spindle/

https://miniatures.com/1-24-scale-stair-and-landing-handrail/

(I don't know if miniatures.com is the best source for you in the UK, but these are also available in UK shops like Melody Jane.)

You can reduce the height of this staircase by cutting off a step, or add a step (made from basswood) if you need to make it taller. I think the staircase is made for a 5" ceiling height, so it might work to replace your missing staircase if you just add a piece of 1/8" basswood to the bottom of the first step.

Those stairs look pretty blocky compare to the Houseworks stairs. If you want the staircases to match, I suggest replacing both of them.  You should also double-check the width in case the Houseworks stairs are wider than the hole. That can be fixed by enlarging the hole or notching the top step to fit in the hole, but it's a consideration.