Installing Lights

Hello Everyone,

This may be a stupid questions but here goes...I am ready to begin running tapewire in an Orchid and I need to know what you do with the length of the brads. The walls are thin and the brads will go right through the wall..won't they? Do the brads come in shorter lengths or do you just break off the brad at the tip once it goes through the other side of the wall? The only other house I have wired had thick walls and I did not have this problem.:woohoo:

Hi,

Are you using the brads that came with the lighting kit? They are SO tiny, I can't imagine them going through the wall to the other side. Maybe you should test out one in the wall and see how it works. Or, you can skip using the brads as much as possible and fold the wire. It uses the tape wire up much more quickly, but then you have a continuous power source. That is what I did in the Windy Ridge....I used the fold as much as I could, but I still had to use the brads for some connections because I started to run low on the tape wire!

Don't know if that helps...maybe someone else can offer a tip.

Good luck!! :woohoo:

Hi, Mark and Darlene ... I ran into this problem with the Orchid when I used a pound-in outlet and grommets.

Pound-in Outlet

Grommets

I clipped off the ends of the pound-in and filed down the ends of the grommets (not wanting to pinch the grommet, as it had to take the pins from a pin-in-lamp). In this case, there was a stucco finish, so I just piled more stucco on top to hide the popped-out places.

The brads I used were 1/8", so there was no problem with them poking through. You may need to get some smaller brads, if that's your issue.