Storybook Cottage Second floor .....again!

Roxxie2

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27846&hl=%2Bstorybook+%2Bcottage

I was thinking of building the Storybook Cottage ( already in my stash) and after reading many posts about the second floor attic floor issue I am not sure. What I really wanted to do was lower the second floor because the attic floor isn't really of much use. If I just leave out the second floor that comes in the kit and make my own floor, will this be a problem with the construction of the porch and the front of the house in general??? Opinions please! Thanks

I would have to put a small wall partition on the first floor to support the second floor most likely, right?

In the second Ye Cozy Cottage that I built I dropped the ceiling/second story (because the first build of it that I did had a very short living space upstairs like the Storybook Cottage seems to have) and dropping it worked well (though I'd do it a little different if I did it again). So, I looked up the Storybook Cottage and found an image that has the ceiling/second floor dropped sort of like I did with my Ye Cozy Cottage.

The Storybook Cottage with a dropped ceiling/second story is here: http://nancysworld.net/mydollhouses/storybook.html

It can be done and turn out nicely. Good luck. I know you can do it. Go for it.

That's sort of how I felt with the first Ye Cozy Cottage I built. The first floor had so much height while the second floor was so short. I worried how the little people would be able to move around comfortably up there. In the second build I did drop that ceiling/second floor and it balanced it better. My only issue (that I would not do again) is that I made the tab openings on the walls lower then the middle support wall so the ceiling/second floor has a slight curve to it. But the little girl loves it. By the time I had realized it had the slight curve the house was glued together. It didn't show up when I did the dry fitting. If I ever build another one, I would just cut the tabs off the second floor and glue it in.

Oh, I had to cut out a piece in the second floor piece to use as the porch roof. This created a knee wall/bed/shelf on that second floor. Also something the little girl liked about the house.

Good luck! Hope to see what you do with the house.

What did you make the second floor out of? I have foam board. I was just going to make a floor and glue it in. I hadn't thought to make tabs. How did you support the second floor? I put partitions in my Buttercup on the first and second floor. It seemed to work out ok. Thanks for the input. :)

No, not my house. That is a Storybook Cottage just like you are building. Mine was a 'Ye Cozy Cottage'. I wasn't trying to confuse you (happens to me all to easily). I saw that the flooring/levels in the one you are building is similar to the 'Ye Cozy cottage' houses. So, I was just trying to give some input. And I had found the picture of the same house you are building, so, thought I could show you it can be done. She does pretty good work, doesn't she?

I used the second story floor that came in my kit and just cut a piece of it out as that floor/ceiling also made the roof of the porch. I could have dropped the whole thing, but then would have a had a huge gap on the front wall under the roof and been cutting walls and (oh nevermind - it would have been lots more work).

It had tabs already. When I dropped the floor, I cut new tab holes in the wall to put these tabs in (after measuring and measuring and measuring again). Yet I somehow managed to get them too low. I should have just done what you are talking about and glued it in after I took the tabs off. Then I would have glued trim/molding under the edges along the walls to help hold it in place and I think it would have been fine.

There was foam board in the build, but not for the flooring. I had to make a taller wall in the second floor because I had dropped that floor and I used foam board for that. And I used foam board to make a sort of half wall on the first floor.

I supported the second floor with the stairs and part of the original wall the was to go in the first floor. I had cut it down a little to accommodate the drop of the second floor, but apparently didn't cut it far enough and that is how I got the slight curve in the second floor.

I don't have a picture of my second 'Ye Cozy Cottage' build posted on here. It was my Independence Day house because I started it on July 4th. All red, white and blue, inside and out, with a little bit of faux hardwood. If I hadn't promised it to the little girl, I would have kept it. It's address was/is: 7476 Freedom Way and the name plaque above the address says Liberty. BUT I do have an Orchid that I will build someday as another Independence Day house, using the same red, white and blue color schemes.

I apologize for confusing you. Hope this helps. If not, I will try to explain better.

• Like 1

I wish it were possible to drop the second floor of the Sugarplum Cottage, but even bashing the front window to make it work, the finished house would have to be 1:16. It absolutely would work in the Storybook, and I'm looking forward to the results.

• Like 1

Vickie! It makes perfect sense to me now :p I haven't done a lot of "bashing" when I do its because I made some kind of big mistake while building! ha

I never thought to use the stairs for support!!! I noticed the floor of my Orchid is drooping a little. Oh well, it is what it is! Thanks for taking all the time to explain the whole thing! I couldn't find a lot of pictures of the Storybook cottage on the inside so the ones you sent are perfect! :)

You are welcome! I'd like to build a Storybook Cottage someday, but that will be awhile. But if and when I do, I will remember it has the same issue with the upper floor that the Ye Cozy Cottage has and maybe then you can give me some advice. :)

Good luck!

As for your Orchid floor sagging, could you take a half inch dowel or 1/2x1/2 inch square balsa-type trim piece and make a post to support it? Paint it and/or decorate it to blend in with your decor and place it just near the edge of the floor and ceiling as a support? Making it look like it is supposed to be there?

Just an idea.

My Orchid has a wall support all the way across the center ( almost center) on the first floor. I think the floor is a bit warped. Its not that noticeable except to me because I am so picky I see everything much worse that it is. I am my own worst critic sometimes. The Sugar Plum is the same way but since its a Fairy House and its covered in moss and "stuff" its not that noticeable. I just measured my Orchid and the Storybook is actually an inch wider. There is plenty of room to divide the first floor with some kind of support wall. I often do short divider walls and put fireplaces on the wall as I did in my Mouse House. The more I build, the more I see things I like to change :)

• Like 2