Staircase Woes

blue_moon992

Oh so frusterated or however you spell it lol. I've been working on my Willow and trying my hand at making furnature and stuff (made some kitchen counters and a fridge, pretty proud of myself) anywho.....So I'm at the point in the living room that I have to get the stairs in and in the way so I can lay my floors and carryon etc etc.........so last weekend got the stairs all together, painted, carpeted and looking quite nice for my first full scale set (after I glued the top part of the stairs to the bottom....thank you Mr. Exacto knife lol) but alas, that was the only real problem. :D

Until it's time to put the assembly into the slot. :lol:

They always make it sound soooo easy don't they?? ;)

The directions state "you will need to turn the stairs at a strange angle in order to achieve this, Be very careful and patient when attempting this"

So.....according to the directions you are supposed to be able to fit a huge stair assembly that is about 3 centimeters to wide into a slit into the 2nd floor. I do believe they are crazy cause it just wasn't happening! :(

So after about 2 fun filled hours of manuvering, snap went the first peice. No big deal, nothing glue wont fix.

20 more minutes goes 3 more pieces...so I'm thinking 'okay, it will fit now darn it'

Yet, it still dosen't :lol:

So before I fling the staircase to the dogs for a new chew toy, I gently set them aside and run off to AC Moore.....ah, premade new stairs are just the ticket......will be much easier and life will be good and I can start laying my floors.

Yeah, right :lol:

So get home, all excited about my stairs, see the pretty little banisters and the rails and thinking this will look even better.......then the thing is like 4 steps to tall :lol: ;)

So Mr. Table Saw and I will have an afternoon tomorrow and will work on the edge cut. Hope it goes good!

This will be my first attempt at an angle cut.....anyone have any pointers cause I sure don't want to spend another $20 bucks on a new set of stairs :lol: :lol:

But I did go to Goodwill today and found a living room set kit for 2 bucks, so it was a good DH day I suppose....

Oh, here is the counter I made......the fridge is still wet so will add pics later, still need to get the handles on it....

post-700-1156645448_thumb.jpg

Hi Amy --

That is going to be a fantastic kitchen -- can't wait to see it come together. the b&w with the red walls really pops and your counter is terrific. Good job!

As to the stairs -- I don't think I want to go there ;) Sounds like you had a dreadful time with them and I hope your cut works out smoothly.

Oh, and remember the chant: "This is fun. This is fun. This is fun." :lol:

Amy, Nutti and I had a problem with some stairs in the Lily. I chopped off the tabs thinking that would solve the problem and it still seemed too tall so I cut off another peice and it hit me as I did the final cut....I had added the floor already to this room which made things NOT align correctly :lol: Too bad, I had to fix the stair problem by adding more at the base of the stairs to make them high enough cause after my final cut, I realized they were also too short then ;)

Sleep on it and chant "this is fun" like Charlene said

;)

It may help you.

Thanks for the warning ;))

I've got the stairs lined up on the bare floors.........I want to have the steps in before I lay my hardwood...I've got it squared off at the top, so it should *crossing fingers* come out even with the bottom of the floor........if for some reason it comes out short, I'll just skinny stick it and cover it with the carpet that is going in the top hallway anyway :lol:)

ah but yes, this is fun....this is fun....this is fun.... hehe