stucco

luvmypoodle

Hi , here is a pic of my fairfield with the too thick stucco :blink: It is cracking which i did not want it to do :p I think I will add climbing vines to make it look like they are cracking it!!!??? :p what do y'all think?? unfortunately it does not show the cracks

I think it looks fine. In fact, I would give it a wash of paint to accent the cracking before adding the vines to make it look like the house and the plants are really old. :p

p.s. Oh yeah, JJ we're doing an 'anything goes' 1/24th scale swap, do you want to join? So far it's just Tracy and I, and I've sent an email to Terri to see if she'd like to participate too.

luvmypoodle, it looks great. The thicker you apply this stucco, the moe likely it is to crack. I have slight cracks on my green roombox, than on Bannister's doll emporium, and the cracks on that one are under the bay window.

I vote for climbing vines also, or even a rose trellis......use a very weak wash made of burnt umber, or black paint. Your house looks great! The great fun of making something look old is it looks far more realistic than a perfect Better Homes and Garden manse.I love making stuff look old, and I live where it's the norm for a house to be over fifty years old.......so I have alot of examples! :p

thank you for all your nice comments. Do you mean burnt umber or black paint etc etc mixed with water??? I wonder if I can buy a wash?? Thank you for the invite for the swap but I will have to decline for now. My fairfield needs floor and ceiling moulding and the roof needs shingling. By the way does anyone know how much fairfield shingles would cost?? I need to order a bag b/c when I bought it in Atlanta at the HBS closeout store it had been returned by someone with only 1/2 of them :p . After the fairfirld I need to finish the Willowcrest which is 85% done. Then I have tht Arthur, Garfield, and Alexandria yadda yadda .........I am rambling now :p Thanks again for the info and invite for the swap

Depends on how dark you want your 'dirty' wash to be. Put a little black paint in a paper cup, and then add water to dilute it. If you want a brownish looking wash, like soil washed on the stucco, use burnt umber--acrylic paints work the best with this. Test the wash on a scrap of wood, or paper, to get the effect. Not dark or dity enough, add more paint. Too dark, add more water. To have some spots where you want dirt dirt, just dry brush the paint on lightly. Don't be afraid to experiment--it's just paint and can be redone!

Don't be afraid to experiment--it's just paint and can be redone!

aaakkk it is soo hard for me to learn this. :D

my MIL and SIL do ceramics and had me doing stuff with them at one point.

but that was the one thing they said to me ALOT!

I always jump in.... than panic when it doesnt go the way I want. B)

very annoying to me.

cant wait to see what you do! :D

nutti :D

That's the thing with this product, and paperclay and joint compound, some of the stuff you might start looks like mud slopped on, but the key thing is this can't be rushed...so that is where I learned to work fast and furious, one because of the humidity in my area, and two because if I mess up I know i can redo it. the decorating with paint is actually the most fun for me.