ever tried hot glue

fairymom

the directions for greenleaf houses say that they can be assembled using hot glue. has anyone ever tried this and does it work at all? i am hesitant to experiment but if it works that would save lots of time on projects i want done more quickly... -holly <_<

Hi there Holly, I have assembled houses with hot glue and I can say, that was in my EARLY days before I knew better. You should use wood glue and can use hotglue very little to hold the house together as the WOOD glue dries. I like to use probond or titebod wood glue by Elmers.

You can use hot glue to add the shingles because the wood is so thin in those areas it will not pop off. I have shipped houses all over the country using the hotglue gun with shingles and so far not one person has complained about it yet though I must say, that is the ONLY place I would say you CAN use the hot glue gun. Nowadays, I like to use quick grip glue for shingles cause it dries just as fast as hotglue does.

I hope this helps you my dear!

Since I live in a mild climate that's kind to glues, I've tried it and would not do it again as the major construction method. Hot glue does put the house together fast, but it makes squaring corners much more difficult, and no matter how carefully you glue, it's almost impossible to avoid having lumps somewhere.

The one situation where I'd continue to whip out the hot glue gun is that sometimes the base and its supports will NOT go together with regular tacky glue, and it helps immensely to run a seam of hot glue along the inside, where no one will ever see it.

Doogster, it has no taste! Which brand do you get <_< ? I tasted some once because my youngest was found chewing one while she was teething :D I wanted to know what it tasted like so I chewed a piece and spit it out :D no taste!