SAN FRANCISCAN decisions- I just bought the San Franciscan

Ginnydoll

I have just bought the 557 San Franciscan dollhouse. It will arrive in about a week. I bought this one, because of the lovely scrolling over the porch and the scrolling over the peaks. It reminds my of a heart. nThe older ones have a plainer look to them, to my eye.

I have been reading all the blgs here about the MDC wood being difficult to work with. I plan on doing some kit bashing. I want to add a curved bay window with a balcony and french door above it, on the side that does not have the tower. How on earth can I bust out the sides with this MDC wood.

My question is... If I also bought the older San Franciscan 550 or 555, does it have the same measurements on the porch, I could use the wood model, except for the scrolling over the porch and peaks, still doing my cuts from wood. And than added that heart shaped scrolling from the 557 to the 550. Can that be done?

I am wondering about this from all the members who have worked with both kits, or just with both the wood and MDC.

I know it seems like a waste to buy both kits of the same house, but each has its good and bad points.

I can use some of the parts of the 557 to make the tower higher and to make the top floor higher, so, it would be nice to have more parts.

What do you guys think?

I just wanted to add, last August I joined and was deciding what to do with my Joseph Angel house. Right now, its sitting in a friends basement. I have finally decided I must part with that big. big dollhouse. I have a tiny 2 room apartment now, and for a long time figured I could not fit any dollhouse. But, the San Franciscan is narrow enough for my space. It is smaller version of the queen ann look that I love so much. The dollhouse I envisioned would have had to have a porch and a tower. So, the San Franciscan is the answer. I am almost tempted to keep both, now that would be really silly, but I wish I could.

I'm the wrong one to advise about working with medium density fiberboard/ MDF; my druthers lie with wood. I built the all-wood SF555 for the oldest granddaughter and added gingerbread from HBS. Can't help you with dimensions.