I AM SO ANGRY I COULD SPIT NAILS!

SallyG

Sally, I worked for an association of golf & country clubs (including some very exclusive ones) for nearly ten years. During that time I came to realize that golf and country club boards, although generally made up of successful businessmen, lawyers, doctors, etc., do not operate in a businesslike way. Don't be disappointed if you contact them and they don't think it's important or don't care. This isn't a business to them, it's recreation.

Think about it. How long was the food really bad before they got around to doing something about it? And then they hired an incompetent and left it up to the hired help to solve the problem. Obviously, she didn't solve it. One of the board members is going to know someone who needs a job or has a favor to repay or something and the staff will go through more changes. But if it's an average club, none of the board members are likely to get directly involved.

Sally, I worked for an association of golf & country clubs (including some very exclusive ones) for nearly ten years. During that time I came to realize that golf and country club boards, although generally made up of successful businessmen, lawyers, doctors, etc., do not operate in a businesslike way. Don't be disappointed if you contact them and they don't think it's important or don't care. This isn't a business to them, it's recreation.

Think about it. How long was the food really bad before they got around to doing something about it? And then they hired an incompetent and left it up to the hired help to solve the problem. Obviously, she didn't solve it. One of the board members is going to know someone who needs a job or has a favor to repay or something and the staff will go through more changes. But if it's an average club, none of the board members are likely to get directly involved.

You are right on all counts. My husband has been specializing in country club for a long time and when you say they are not business-like, you are exactly right! They want and need certain things, but are unwilling to do what it takes to accomplish that. If they ran their business the way they run their clubs, they would be bankrupt.

It's an unpleasant situation, and when you add in the economy, it makes it even worse. All I can keep telling myself is that there is something better just around the corner. That keeps me from having a nervous breakdown!

The thing is, my husband was recruited because a member of the club he worked for up in Maryland also belonged to this club down here, and was anxious to get him down because of his culinary talents. He was so chummy with my husband you'd think they were best buddies.

Now, once my husband called him and informed him of what had occurred, he said he was going to "investigate" and get back to him. Needless to say, we have heard no further word from him. Not even a call to say "how are you doing, any leads on a job, etc.".

I can't say I'm surprised...