Any tips for a day in Baltimore?

New Day

Hi all. We are driving the kids (and friends) to an event in Baltimore on Saturday, and will have the day free while we wait for them to be ready to head home. We aren't looking for Aquarium/Inner Harbour stuff, as we have done that, and the thought of those crowds on an August Saturday are more than I can handle. But, I was wondering if anyone has tips on say - good used book stores, antique shops, flea markets, etc. I do plan to try the AC Moore, as we don't have one here. Already have my coupon printed out (and one for my dad :lol: , who is going with us). Any suggestions? And of course, any great dollhouse stores? (a girl can hope!)

TIA!

Hm... that's a tough one... the only thing I've ever gone to Baltimore for IS Inner Harbor stuff. Although my daughter's class went to the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore. She said it was better than Washington Zoo. If you've never been to the Science Center or Port Discovery, both of which are located on the outskirts of the Inner Harbor, I recommend them (Science Center moreso than Port Discovery)... Both indoors and both air conditioned and neither get as crowded as the aquarium, I can't even do that aquarium anymore. I go to aquariums to SEE sardines, not to feel like one. Good luck!

Thanks Jen. I think the kids would kill us if we went to the Science Center or the zoo without them, (they work at a Science Center here and looooove it!) so that may have to wait for a different trip when they don't have other plans. Although, I'll bet our membership is reciprocal to that center, so we'd get in free. I'll have to check. We take our field trips and vacations when school is in session, so the crowds are usually a little better. Although, the Aquarium was terrible last time we went and that was a school day. There were so many field trips (and sadly it seems never enough chaperones). Aside from that, I couldn't believe it was legal to have that many people in the building at once. We said exactly what you said about sardines! It was barely enjoyable, really - we couldn't see a thing for most of the tour.

Thanks for tip - I'm off to look up info on the Science Center and zoo for later in the year!

Ohhhh.... You know what, when I first read that I misunderstood - I thought you were looking for other ways to spend time with the kids because you were also in town to do something else with them... I didn't realize you had to kill time while THEY were doing something else. In THAT case, I can suggest the Baltimore Museum of Art... I haven't been there but I hear good things. Also, you could see what Imax movies are playing at the Science Center... that way you're at the Science Center and can see if it's worth taking the kids, but then just go see the movie instead.