Sanding

sammything

Newbie here!

Hey yall! What grit sandpaper do you use for the main walls/floor? (As a very first step). Also, having just taken sandpaper to my house (the reverse side of the floor) after a few swipes it's smoother, but looks scratched. Is this normal, or did I blow it already? Advice?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lori

with the yet-to-be named Coventry Cottage

I put the sandpaper that comes with the kit on my sanding block, so right now I can't tell you what grit it is. You can remove the scratches with 0000 steel wool followed by a final "sanding" with a piece of brown paper grocery sack. Generally once the wood is sealed the scratches don't show. I use my DH's wornout teeshirts for tack cloths.

Depending on the type of wood you are sanding and how much wood you want to remove would determine the grit you need. If you are just looking to smooth the surface in preparation for painting, I would start with a 120 grit for rough spots then go to 240 to remove any highly visible marks. Paint will cover anything that is left. For wood that will be stained, I would start with at least a 300 or even 400 grit. This paper is very fine and will not leave any marks. Follow Havanaholly's advice and use steel wool. Steel wool will leave slivers behind so be sure to clean the surfaces before painting or staining. A tack cloth works great. You can use a paper bag or any undyed paper for buffing.