Roof Assistance

jennywren

I would like to recreate this little addition.  I am not quite sure how to go about creating the roof with this angle.  Has anyone had experience w/a roof like this that would be willing to offer up some guidance?  Thanks!!

Here is the link to the picture.  It won't upload a photo for some reason.

http://ns.minishop.com/motts/shopexd.asp?id=58666

I would try this in cardstock first and I would first draw and cut it as if it were not going to have the deck but just a pitched roof. Then cut your height later. 

This is clear and easy in my mind but I'm not sure my words will make sense. 

I'd take the side measurement of your base wall on the chimney side for creating the base of a triangle piece for starters. I'd take the front wall measurement and make a rectangular piece, not worrying about the angled end yet or heights at this time. 

After you have your base house sides together, lay/tape the two roof templates  together creating the angle with the triangle piece sliding it down behind the rectangle. Mark the angle on the back side of the rectangle piece that you desire.

Decide how tall you want it and make your horizontal lines on the back of both pieces. 

Cut and test fit along with another rectangle piece for the back side. Create your opening cut out to the room if an attic is needed or desired.

Measure for your square deck area after you have the 3 roof angle pieces lined up. 

Cut out of wood or foamboard using your templates, attach, and add your decorations. 

Fingers crossed this makes sense. It shouldn't be too difficult. Good luck. Post pictures when you get it made please. 

• Like 2

Oh my gosh....thank you all so much!  This is perfectly explained now and I can visualize each step!!!  I really appreciate it.  I had two projects in mind for this kind of addition but there was NO WAY I was going to spend the money for the Lawbre addition!  :)

• Like 1

Oh my gosh....thank you all so much!  This is perfectly explained now and I can visualize each step!!!  I really appreciate it.  I had two projects in mind for this kind of addition but there was NO WAY I was going to spend the money for the Lawbre addition!  :)

Jennifer I re-did my drawing to better illustrate it...hope it helps.