"Bashiing"?

nikki

Kitbashing = taking the parts of one or more kits and adding, deleting, or combining parts to get a unique result.

My best personal example isn't from a Greenleaf kit (ducks). I bought the RGT Victorian Cottage Jr. to be a bakery with small apartment above. The kit offers very deep rooms on a small footprint (which is why I bought it) but the head space on the upper floor turned out to limit how much furniture would fit up there. I wanted to add an extension, but how to match the premilled siding? (This RGT line uses 3/8" MDF (like particle board, but smoother) with the siding cut right into the board.) So I got this kit and persuaded my father, the Man with Power Tools, to do some clever cutting so that the combined result is this: exterior.jpg (It's not done because I'm repainting it pale yellow and dithering about the window colors.)

Greenleaf kits are way easier to kitbash, since you can cut the wood with a sharp craft knife.

ahhhhhh! I see! ok! Thank you so much calamari. I hear (read) everyone chatting about kit bashing, and really didn't know exactly what they were referring to. Now I know! You always come to the rescue! Thanks again!

n

HI Nikki,

Somewhere I have photos of my first kitbash (which still isn't finished :D ) but what I did is take the spiral staircase which I thought looked awefully flimsy and had no hand rail <I'm a firm believer in handrails even for my dolls lol> - wrapped it in wood, then in paperclay and turned it into a stone staircase - then I cut out the area that was supposed to have a bay window so I could install a huge beam hearth - the hearth is the part I haven't finnished yet. I didn't like all the gingerbread trim the house came with so making it stoney and adding the big hearth I'm making into a house for a witch or wizard. Bashing is lots of fun - and I really like that you don't have to just color inside the lines - so to speak. You can take a kit, change it and make it specifically yours, not just in paint and paper choices but in house construction and make a standard kit absolutely unique!

-David

My best personal one is the Emerson Row, where we added 3 inches to the bottom of the house and then changed the interior walls, deleted staircases, and turned it into two separate townhouses/apartments.

AND kit-bashing is a lot of fun. You can really personalize things and let your imagination run free.

AND scratch-building is even MORE fun!

I find 3/8" plywood kits the easiest to bash and use that plywood for scratch-building.

I bash everything and sometimes end up in a lot of trouble :D , but it always works out in the end!

You don't need a lot of experience -- I bashed the first dollhouse kit I bought (the "Orginal Rowbottom Manse on irismarch website) -- just have a dream.

Try it -- you'll be hooked! ;)

:lol:

Try it -- you'll be hooked! B)

That's an understatement. :o I'm obsessed with building from scratch now. The only way I see myself building another kit is if it's a gift for someone else because usually time is a factor. Scratch builds, in my opinion, take much longer than just assembling a kit per the directions.