Early Valentines Gift- An Orchid

heidiiiii

I wanted to let you all know that it is still alive and it still has the flowers on it. I neglect it like you said to do. When I remember, I turn the shower on and give it a bouncin and behavin hair-do.

It has squigglies growing up from the pot. Tomorrow I am going to take pics of them and the pot the plant is in. I want an idea on if I should keep it in the container it is in.

Yeah me! I havent killed it!

• 4 weeks later...

OMG! I have a major problem with the Orchid.

It is doing fine except for one thing.

There has been this increasing smell here in the diningroom. I thought it was the dead cactus. So I threw that away out back. Still the smell. So I put the cactus in a garden bag and threw out to the curb. Still the smell. I sniffed the fish tank..Nope. I walked over to where the Orchid is and screamed out loud.

A dead mouse. We have deducted that MF must have killed the mouse and played with it. Threw it up in the air...into the Orchid.

So after Fred was teasing me, he took it outside and got rid of the corpse.

Now the problem..It smells like a Death Orchid. I filled with water, emptied it out, repeat. Still smells like 200 yr old Mickey. I know Gina you told me NOT to put it outside but I had to. It reeks.

What can I do?

Where could i put it if I have to leave it outside for awhile to air it out?

Help! It still has all it`s flowers and it is starting to grow stuff (that I need direction with).

I did not want this plant to die so I called my favorite garden center. I gave the woman a really really good laugh. She said I have to completely clean out the soil and replace it.

I told her I have no clue. I am a plant person but this is my very first Orchid. So she told me to bring it in on Saturday and they will show me what to do.

I can leave it out on the porch during the day today because it is warm and there is no breeze. But I have to bring it in this afternoon. I will keep it in the basement.

It really really reeks! Badly. Even on the front porch is smells like death.

Go to the plant store and get yourself a bag of orchid bark! Soak it in hot water for about 2 hours. Then cool water. Take your orchid out of it's pot and take all the whatever out of the plant roots and throw all of that stuff away. The squiggley things growing from your plant is either another flower stalk or air roots. If they have green tips they are air roots. Get a new pot.......one no bigger than 1" larger than the old pot. Rince the orchids roots, air roots, entire plant in tepid water. Then put some of the bark in the bottom of the pot, put the plant in and by hand Heidi, start putting the bark around the plant as it was when you got it......if the roots are not currently in the pot don't force them into the pot....they will find their way to the pot eventually. Then let the plant sit back in its customary place and things should smell better....LOL

Mice rot lovely don't they?! BLECH!