Alison Jr

Since the flood I've put off working on the Beacon Hill. I want it to be really special and am just not up to doing the stairs right now so have to wait on the rest. I have the Alison Jr almost finished. The stairs came out nice and I have the stair carpet ready to put in. My railings finally came a couple of days ago from HBS. The problem is the rooms, except for the third floor, are so small. I tried my dining room set on the first floor by the stairs to the left of the kitchen and tried a small parlor upstairs from that. If I leave out a bathroom I could make a sewing room, small library or extra bedroom above the kitchen. I made a large bedroom with a wall to separate it from the stairs on the third floor. My question is would the dining room look strange where the living room really should be because of the entry door? A Victorian house really needs a dining room and I have a nice set I've had for ages. There is no room in the kitchen except for a Chrysnbon stove, an ice box, a sink with a pump, a pie safe and a work table. I've had this house on hold trying to decide what to do about the dining room. What do you think? I put a door onto the upper porch from what will be the parlor. Except for being so heavy, I love this house. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Alison Jr. (front-opening) I don't know if the front-opening is different, but I divided the 1st floor so that on the left is a small kitchen and next to that is a fairly good sized dining room (I hadn't thought about the front door being a problem. I was concerned with the stairs. :giggle: ) 2nd floor is divided equally for the most part into a living room/parlor above the kitchen and a sitting room/music room. The 3rd floor has the 2 bedrooms. There should be pics of room placements in my gallery to help visualize what I'm talking about. Hope you find this helpful. :)

I just added the addition to my Alison Jr and am happy now with how it lookks. I put the extension on the right side and now there is kitchen, dining room and sitting room down stairs, another sitting room with door to the upper balcony , music room in the middle and bath over the kitchen upstairs and on the third floor is an enclosed stair area and large bedroom. I have pics in my gallery. Thanks for answering my post. I think the front opening house is a little different with the enclosed tower, etc. I may put a door out to the roof of the extension, add a low railing and put some wire furniture out there. It does look a lot different with the extension.