60 year old house from Rich Toys

Just One More

I have a really nice house from Rich Toys. It's 60 years old made of masonite and held together with nuts and bolts. The outside is in great condition except for the edges of the side roofs being worn down. It's painted gold and has bushes painted on front and sides. It reminds me of the Glencroft except it has the chimney in the front which is painted to look like stone with a large "S". It has two little wooden pieces on top of the chimney. It is tudor style with the original, probably celluloid windows. The front door has painted hinges and opens. There is a little roof over the front door with a wooden porch light on both sides. The inside had water stains and so far, other than cleaning, I've just painted the entire inside an off-white and sealed the outside roof with burnt umber to match what it used to be. Except for a little warping of the upstairs floor it's in great shape for it's age. I'd like to decorate the inside and put some simple furniture in it. The rooms are small and maybe a little smaller than 1/12 but the furniture I've tried doesn't look too big.

I wondered if anyone else has decorated this kind of house. I thought maybe making patterns and papering on card stock would be better than putting the paper directly on the walls. I'd like to keep it original but the walls and floors just white doesn't look very good. The nuts and bolts are very noticeable so I'd like to hide them as much as possible. I wonder what kind of furniture was in it so long ago. It would be nice to find some. If I can figure out how to get a picture in my gallery I will but lately I must be doing something wrong because I can't get the pics to go where I want. If anyone has any of these old houses I'd like to hear your ideas.

It sounds like a real find. Perhaps you can cover some of the nuts and bolts with draperies making "faux" windows look - not having windows beneith them. Or using a real window with a scene behind it with the draperies on either side hiding the nuts and bolts? Furniture with no backs over the nuts and bolts? A bed against a wall can hide a lot of stuff! LOL

Thos old masonite dollhouses were very lovely and you've evidently found a beauty!

Wolfie

I've had this one for awhile. Furniture would cover a lot of the nuts, etc., and they are mostly against walls. I looked up Rich Toys on the internet and this one may even be older than 60. They moved to Clinton Iowa in 1935 and the label on the house dates to then. I can't find a picture of mine but they had some other larger ones and I'd love to find one of those. The outside is in such good condition. The metal houses from back then are nice but can't be decorated as well. There are quite a few of those on ebay. It would be fun to start a collection of these houses. They are not too big and some of the plastic furniture for them is well made, especially the kitchen and bath sets. I'm running out of room for the bigger houses. I want to start working on my curtains and bedding sets again. I also want to try making the mini doll clothes. There's always new things to try in minis. :yes: