Can anyone identify this house?

IrishMist

My home nurse rescued this house from the garbage and would like to know if anyone recognizes it and can tell her anything about it.

I haven't seen the actual house, so I don't know what type of wood, or anything besides what you can tell from the pics.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Carol

post-285-1133736976_thumb.jpg

post-285-1133737021_thumb.jpg

Congratulations! I think your friend has a one-of-a-kind homemade house. Here's why I think so:

--The depth is unlike anything that I've ever seen in a kit. A one-room-deep kit house is almost always in the range of 8" to 15" deep. 25" is just too far off the norm. I'm assuming from the placement of the side windows that this isn't a house that opens both back and front, with two rooms depth. (Then I see something through the windows that looks like a back wall. Weird. What I can see of the floor plan still isn't consistent with a kit, though.)

--The front windows are smaller and fewer than you'd usually find in a kit house. Kit designers put lots of big windows on the front because that makes for a pretty facade. A guy with a saw and a dream will tend to cut fewer windows because they're a pain to cut. He also usually makes them smaller and higher (possibly to make it easier to put furniture against the walls).

--The shutters are held on with staples. That's not anyone's recommended construction method.

--What I can see of the stairway construction looks like what a home-builder would do. The bits of stair that form the vertical face of the steps are glued between the slanty pieces and come down to meet the bottom of the slanty pieces. There isn't that sort of saw-tooth shape that the slanty pieces on kit stairs have.

--The trim under the roof gable would be very unusual in a kit.

--There's no "glass" in the windows, nor any sign that there ever was any. Nor are there window frames other than the shutters. It would be unprecedented for a kit to provide trim under the eaves but no window frames!

I can't get a good enough angle on the doorway to tell what kind of wood he used, and the large dimensions of the house are throwing off my sense of scale anyway. The builder may have used some mass-produced components, such as siding and shingles, on a largely original house. The siding does puzzle me a little -- judging from the color of the wood, some of the pieces are almost new, and some are 20 years old!

Calamari, I agree that it's homemade, but I think it may have been based off of a kit. Like they had parts of a kit, and modified it. I don't know what kit, but it just reminds me of something ...

Linda, does it by any chance remind you of the Worthington? I see a similar shape in the big front overhang and in the configuration of a window on either side of the door and one above it (pretending the smaller upstairs windows of the Worthington aren't there).

I'm thinking "inspired by a kit house" rather than using actual parts...

LOL Calamari! How do you do that? I didn't say that it was the way that the roof peaked and the roof line that reminded me of something, but somehow you knew! You are right, it's reminding me of the Worthington!

post-6-1133790724_thumb.jpgpost-6-1133790735_thumb.jpgpost-6-1133790747_thumb.jpg

Thanks to both of you! I figured it was either homemade or some variation of a log cabin type house...looks like a log cabin with siding to me :D

I especially appreciate the reasons why it looks homemade...gives me some good things to tell her, and to look for in the future.

I wondered what the things in the windows were, and then when I read your note about the staples in the windows I had a major DUH! moment. Wonder why they did that?

Thanks again!

Carol

I have a little more info -

It has a back wall, that does not come off - so you were right.

And the lid lifts off. Any furniture for the lower floor would have to be put in through the door/ windows.

She is going to hinge the roof, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to remove and hinge the back wall. Would that destroy the integrity?

She said to say THANKS! to all of you for the input.

Carol