© MikeP2011

Siding Tutorial

mesp2k

I use 3/4" x 1/16" thick pine strips - I cut them myself. I like the thicker siding strips.

Day 1

1. Use a tack cloth to clean any dust off the wall to be sided.

2. Measure & mark guide lines on the walls for the positioning of the siding, (1/4",3/8" or 1/2"H.) Measure vertically, draw lines horizontally.

3. Cut carpet tape into narrow strips (about 3/16" wide or so.)

4. Glue a 1/8" - 3/16"H strip of siding to the bottom of the wall (let dry.)

5. Paint any trim that will be going on the wall - corner, window, door, etc.

6. Paint the siding. (I also use the carpet tape strips to hold the siding & trim on to an old cutting board while painting.)

8. Let the paint dry.

9. Glue on the trim, let dry.

10. Stick the carpet tape on the walls from the very top - down to the starter strip at the bottom (line it up vertically only) & about a 1/4" away from any trim. (Space it about 2" or 3" apart horizontally.)

Day 2

11. Butt a strip of siding against the left corner trim & bottom (or edge of the wall) align the top of the siding with the guide line on the wall then mark the siding on the right end where you're going to cut. (I use a craft knife to mark the cutting positions - creates a fine line & no pencil marks.)

12. Cut the siding with a sharp craft knife. (for straight or 45 degree cuts you can use a miter box/saw.)

13. Apply enough glue to the wall for a few strips of siding - be careful not to get glue on the tape & make sure you apply narrow beads of glue at the edge of walls & near the trim.

14. Firmly stick the siding to the wall. Working from the bottom to top - repeat steps 11 thru 14 until entire wall is completely covered.

The tape will hold the siding while the glue dries.

Day 3 - Finished !!

Note: Don't cut the carpet tape strips too wide - you won't be able to reposition the siding - its very sticky stuff.

Copyright

© MikeP2011

From the album:

Siding Tutorial

· 1 image
  • 1 image
  • 0 comments
  • 2 image comments

Recommended Comments

Thanks for sharing this technique. I have a house that needs to be resided and this technique will make that job easier.

Deb