Jenn's Mini Worlds: A Dollhouse Miniaturist's Blog

Jenn's projects, progress, hints, and mini travails

Jenn's Mini Worlds: A Dollhouse Miniaturist's Blog Search 

Main menu

Post navigation

PreviousNext 

Beacon Hill: Front porch

Posted on October 4, 2016

The porch! This step is where I could have used lots of pictures and diagrams! It’s a bit confusing.

img_6910

First–this was my Sheet 23, which has all the porch post trims (about 40 of them). When it came out of the box, it disintegrated, so I had to piece it together like a jigsaw. I managed to find all the pieces, thankfully.

img_6911

The broken Sheet 23 goes back into bags and a shoebox for later use (the front door and some window trim is on it as well).

img_6912

These are the pieces of porch post from Sheet 26 (which thankfully was intact). Note–there are two of Sheet 26.

Tip: By the way–I found it very useful to go through all the big sheets in the box and mark their number with a sharpie (in a corner so it doesn’t get on a piece you need!) The numbers on mine are very faint, and I got tired of searching for what number was what.

img_6914

Three of each post pieces are glued together, stacked on top of each other, to create four posts. Masking take was a good clamp.

img_6917

The edges of the posts are a little raw for me, even after much sanding, so…

img_6928

I smoothed them out with spackling. (The post in the picture is pre-spackling–I gave it a base coat of gesso). (Explain to me my spell checker doesn’t like the word spackling? That’s what it says on the jar!)

img_6915

The porch post trim pieces (from my ill-fated Sheet 23). Middle post trim (the long ones, four per post), and the bottom trim (four per post).

img_6921

The spackled post waiting to dry, and the trim pieces getting a coat of paint.

img_6918

The post on the left is what they all will look like. I decided to experiment with one first to see if I liked the colors. I like the dark base with the lighter pieces glued on top.

img_6916

The bottom row is the “mid post caps” (one large, one small for each post) which slide down the posts from the top. I had to sand down the spackling to make them fit!

img_6919

A finished post in place, with the caps–large one first then small one on top of it–in place.

img_6930

The porch-roof trim. These pieces gave me problems, and there were no good photos to guide me! Laid out here from bottom to top are pieces A, B, C, and D (D is the small one).

img_6939

A, C, and D glued together and painted. This part was fairly straightforward. When this is flipped over and glued to the underside of the porch roof, the long piece will go against the right side of the house, the shorter piece on the side with the front door. (I show this in place a couple of photos down.)

img_6931

It was piece B that drove me crazy. I put the roof down under the trim and tried to figure out where B went. Like this? No, apparently not. I even had it glued, took it apart, flipped everything around wrong, glued it again, took it apart … Until I finally figured out ….

img_6942

That piece B goes like this. It rests flush with the top of A (actually the bottom, but we’re flipped over right now), with A’s big rectangular tabs sticking up. Like this, B forms holes for the posts to go in. So B, in this picture, sits about 3/4 of an inch off the table. Who knew?

img_6944

Another shot of B correctly glued to A. This will show on the underside of the porch roof (got all that?).

img_6948

Here’s how the porch trim / post (A-B-C-D) support will fit on the house. Porch roof will go on top of this.

img_6950

Now that everything’s painted (2-3 coats) and given a coat of DuraClear Ultra Matte varnish, it’s time to put it all together. Port posts go in the holes first. I only had to enlarge one hole, which made me feel good.

img_6951

The trim in place with the porch posts pushed through the holes, held in place temporarily by tape. The house, BTW, is on its back, which is why the photo looks a bit odd.

img_6955

A shot of the porch posts in the trim, from the side.

img_6968-1

The porch roof itself in place, with the top trim painted and glued on. I went with red for the top trim.

img_6956

Now for the porch foundation. This is the smallest foundation piece on the right after it had been knocked loose by the furry assistant.

img_6959

Here is the furry assistant complaining that he should be able to unglue things whenever he wants to.

img_6961

The right porch foundation glued back into place. It took me a while to figure out it went to the left, toward the porch.

img_6963

The longer right side foundation piece goes under the porch floor, against the post sticking through, and back into the piece I glued in the photo above.

img_6965

Small foundation piece on the left side of the porch. It too goes against a post sticking through and back to the main house’s foundation.

img_6966

The long foundation piece goes against the bottom of the porch posts that stick through the porch floor, and against the edges of the left and right foundation pieces.

img_6967

img_6970

Here we are–porch posts, roof, trim, and foundation in place. This took days!

The colors might be too stark for me. I might soften with a yellow or blue, or “age” the house, or do greenery … I’ll see what it looks like when more is done!

Next I’ll do the kitchen bay setup, then return to the roof, which I’ve been avoiding.