This time I am only blogging the changes that I made to this Gorgeous doll house kit. The Mckinley has been my favorite since Lisa from Greenleaf asked me to make one 4 years ago. This is something that a newbie can do if they have the patiance but, this blog is really for the advanced builders who can look at these breif comments and make the changes.
I started the building of this house a few weeks back. I started out pretty much like everyone else. You'll notice easily that I did start a little bit out of sequence. When I have built a kit several times, I don't view the instructions as much. I have been wanting to bash (Alter) this kits' design since I completed my last one . I started on the back wall since I knew I was going to bash it by extending the roofline. I took wood that Greenleaf uses for their kits. They sell extra sheets but you have to call them for plain sheets that are not punched out yet.
When the original roof is finished, it is only 4" high. Mine right now is bashed to have a 9" high ceiling. ;)
The next big change was that I wanted to change the kitchen wall so that the opening would be in the front of the room, not the back. I did this by cutting this wall into three sections so that most of the tabs would still be in most of the right parts of the floor for stability. I figured this out through trail and error and it took me over an hour to get it staright & right. I also moved the kitchen wall over by 1" to make the kitchen larger.
I then had to attach it to the rest of the structure that I had already assembled:
It ended up looking a bit like this:
My next change was to alter the look of the Mckinley's front door. I did this by using 2 strips of wood that is 1/16" x 1/4" x 36" . I then added a lion head knocker to it that I hand made.