I got a Holly-Dolly!!

Deb

<rushing into the forum and skidding to a stop> <panting for breath> Guys!! Guys!! Guess what I got in the mail today? It's a Holly-Dolly!! Holly made this little lovely and because she reminded her of Jadis from the Narnia Chronicles, she sent her to live with me! <throwing arms around Holly in a huge hug>

Jadis immediately noticed the collection of things from the far east in the BH and was delighted. She's making herself at home and doesn't she look great there! Her gown has that richly elegant eastern look (the jewel tones are just mouthwatering) and she looks as if she's just gotten off the ship from a trip to Tibet.

post-329-1192174452_thumb.jpg

I'm still happy-dancing! I have a Holly-Dolly!! Isn't she just beeeeeeeeautiful!!

Deb

THANK YOU for posting the pictures, Deb! I was in such a shock at how she turned out when I finished dressing her I immediately wrapped her for mailing and as we left the PO I realized I had forotten to take the first picture!

She started out originally as a consort for the Jack Frost doll the White Orchid wants to have live in her, but poor Jack shattered while in N GA last month getting his longjohns knitted for him. After I dressed her I suddenly realized she was Jadis, and no wonder poor ol' Jack had shattered. She obviously didn't want to stay with me & live in the White Orchid, and seeing her at home in the Beacon Hill explains a lot of her attitude.

Sculpting dolls one at a time is interesting, because sometimes a distinctly different person emerges from the clay than what I was thinking of. This is why I don't undertake to try portrait dolls that often!

She's gorgeous, Holly ... so ethereal yet grounded. I can see how she took over the clay as you worked. Poor Jack didn't stand a chance! :rofl:

Most definitley what she said!!!! Your new inhabitant looks right at home where she is right now!

Thank you for sharing the eye candy pics, :wave:

Hugs

The new Jack has been kept separate and seems to be surviving just fine. Also I went back to my former baking methods using foil to protect the clay from browning.

Thank you all for your sweet comments, these are my first attempts at fantasy/ whimsical figures and I see why so many doll makers enjoy them, they are pure fun! They also help me play around with improving details, the pointed ears were a lot of fun and the extended fingers are unbelievably fragile!lol

these are my first attempts at fantasy/ whimsical figures and I see why so many doll makers enjoy them, they are pure fun!

And you're good at them too! I think you've got a real knack for the exotic. Not to mention being *exceptional* at wigging!!

I couldn't get a clear picture of Jadis' hair, but she has a gorgeous french twist under her hat. Her shoes with the curled toes are pretty amazing too.

Deb

Because Jack & Jadis are made from a mixture of white & translucent clays and I had read that poly clay cures just as hard baked at the recommended temp for shorter periods in several sessions, I baked them in three sessions of 10 to no more than 12 minutes instead of my usual 25+ minutes for torsos (I do full-body sculpts) to prevent the ghasty browning the bathroom fixtures I made for the USA general store got, requiring me to repaint them. It didn't work! I baked the new pair of Frosts in my regular way, but used Alice Zinn's suggestion and popped a wee foil tent over their body parts whilst they baked, and they cured just like they were supposed to without browning.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I have so been out of the loop!! I missed this posting until tonight. Congratulations Deb on receiving a Holly-Dolly, doesn't she do a fantastic job. The most protective mini I have is my doll that Holly made me.