Confused about priming..

MichelleG

Ok, Ya'll,

I'm finally working on my Tennyson, yayyy! I've sanded and used the Sanding Sealer on the shell. On the first floor where the living room will be I scored the wood and used Minwax polyshade stain.. looks really nice! The other side where I'll have a kitchen I just used Sanding sealer as I'll tile it when that arrives in the mail. I scored the porch and used a clear Shellac. I'm missing a couple pieces a wall and roof, but Mini Me is sending me a tracing of it so I can duplicate it. If I use foam core for those two pieces.. do I use a sealer or primer on it???? Or should I go up to the lumber yard and see if they have this type of wood?? Also. since I'm using Sanding sealer on the shell and walls,,, do I still use a primer on top of that before I paint?? I'll paint the exterior a medium blue satin latex w/ cream colored trim. Interior will be wallpapered, after I wire it. Ok, so the question is.. Prime it or not???

Thanks!!

And as soon as I get the pieces and get the shell up, I'll start taking photos for you all!!

Michelle :(

You don't really need to prime foam core board. It's already white, and its paper surface will readily accept paint or wallpaper paste. You may want to prime the walls you used the sanding sealer on so that they, too will be white, so if it shows through the paint or wallpaper, the walls will be consistent.

Ok, Thanks.. I'll prime it then, I found a can of kils primer in the shed today, hopefully it's still good, it's been in there a couple of years. Gee, I don't wanna make another trip to the hardware store.. ughhh.. I'm there almost every day for something. My family owns a True Value Hardware store, so I get a discount!! But still. This is costing me more money than I thought it would. I've got some goodies coming in the mail from Ernie,, should arrive next Tuesday. circut wiring kit, a few lights to start off with,, wallpaper,tile, some other little goodies.. can't wait 'til they come!!

Thanks for all your help so far.. and don't go anywhere!!... I'll have lots more questions soon.. wiring, etc...

This is costing me more money than I thought it would.
Oh, heck, Michelle, that's the nature of a hobby. However, you will have the tools & materials to go on & build the other houses that will come from your attention into your possession. I read somewhere that the definition of a hobby is "an activity that takes incredible amounts of time, costs inordinate amounts of money, and makes no sense whatsoever to anyone not sharing that hobby"

If you're wallpapering or painting, the primer coat is a must. As already mentioned, the wood colour can show through, and a white primer allows for a fresher, truer colour in both paint and wallpaper.

You might consider using gatorboard, rather than foamcore, for your missing pieces. It's much sturdier (which is important for structural strength). If you do use gatorboard, then priming it would be good, because it's brown, not white like foamcore.

Thanks Rosalind,

I am now convinced that I must prime before painting..(even tho I sealed).. And your right, I don't want to have to put 3 or more coats of paint because the dark wood or knots show thru.

Now.. what's this about gatorboard? Where do I get it? Would my local lumber yard have it or do I have to go to a craft/hobby store?

Gee .. I think I'll Google that up!! Gatorboard.

I sure learn something new everytime I come here.

Thanks!!

Michelle

Gatorboard is also more expensive than foamcore, if you have very active children who will be playing with the house unsupervised & very roughly you may be happier with either the gatorboard or wood.