Question for Greenleaf

When I started to build my Beacon Hill about 20 years ago, I ordered a few bags of "siding". This came in strips and was somewhat "rough" wood, but when sanded looked GREAT. Later I pulled the neglected BH out of storage and finished it. (Well as finished as these things get. We ARE always changing them.) One side of the house wasn't finished and I didn't have enough siding strips to finish it.

I contacted Greenleaf and they said, "Yes, we still sell that" and I bought a couple of bags of the siding strips. But it wasn't the same. It was much thinner and much smoother wood. It didn't really match what was already on the house, and had a greater tendency to warp than the orgininal thicker stuff.

Now in MY opinion, the older stuff looks much more realistic and gives a much better effect. I can honestly say, I haven't bought any of this style of siding in years, but if I KNEW I was gonna get the older kind I'd rather have that than the milled stuff I have been using. The old stuf costs less and looks better in my opinion even though it does require a little bit more work than the milled stuff.

Now in the HBS catalog they do have something on their "save" pages called 40 Rustic Siding Clapboard Strips. Anyone seen this stuff? What does Greenleaf sell NOW if anything along this line? Luckily, the newer kind I didn't like is on the sides of my Beacon Hill while the older good stuff is on the front so it's not all that noticeable. And these days the BH comes WITH siding and shingles. At least it does when you order it from HBS, or maybe from anywhere. But I'd like more of the old kind to use on other buildings that do not come with siding.

Anyone have any useful answers for me? LOL! Just finished fighting with some lighting (and won) and wanting to be a pain for someone. Forgive me, and I'll be back to my cheery self tomorrow.

Darrell

Hi Darrell! Your right, there was a change in the material we use on both the siding and shingles. We started using the domestic birch veneer you’re talking about on the Corona Concepts line back in 1993 which was very well received. I made a decision when we released the Greenleaf line to upgrade these components to the same material without considering the exact situation that you mentioned. We do get some phone calls about this and surprisingly most people actually prefer the old style.

Honestly, I do feel that it is an upgrade to the product. The material cost more per square foot and the sheets come in random length and widths which slows the manufacturing process. I also felt it would be confusing to have one type of material for the Corona line and another for the Greenleaf line. I know that more expensive doesn’t necessarily mean better, but the material is of a consistent quality which is a day to day battle with lumber around here.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience that this might have caused you and others in a similar situation. There is yet another material that I’ve been considering for shingles, but I am hesitant to introduce it because it is radically different from both the other materials. Again, I feel that this new concept would improve the Greenleaf line, but it would further complicate this compatibility issue.

I don’t even have any of the old material left here for myself, but the product you mentioned at Hobby Builders Supply is indeed the old siding.

Again, sorry for any troubles!

Dean

Oh it didn't cause all that much trouble. As I said, it's on the SIDES so not very noticeable. And the painting helps disguise the difference. I was just in a "mood" from having to bend my wrist at an odd angle to put a ceiling light in the McKinley hallway and I kept dropping the infernal little brad. So, I was on a temporary "notice anything wrong" rant. Sorry if I seemed to take it out on your siding. LOL!

I still prefer the older THICKER material. The had trouble with warping with the new stuff and I have to go back and add more glue and tape it down to dry or I get silly bumps all over my house. I'd honestly buy the milled stuff in sheets for more money before using it.

You can see in my post on the Corona Travel Trailer my rant about warping of the thin veneer on the curved portions of the trailer. (mine is still sitting in the corner being punished) While it's true that the new siding and the thin veneers provide a very smooth and uniform surface, they are much more prone to warping unless it's solidly connected over the entire surface. I've LEARNED to seal FIRST now when using thin woods, which is not my habit. I usually build first then seal so that the sealer doesn't affect the quality of my glue joints. We don't use hot glue for many things because we want our buildings to last generations not just decades, and thru all kinds of humidity changes. So we have two opportunities to make it warp. Wet glue and wet paint.

I can imagine the problems inconsistency might cause with thin lumbers and plywoods, and have seen a few pieces of evidence of this not just from Greenleaf but from every manufacturers kits on occassion. I admire the tedious inspections you must go thru to minimize these concerns for your customers and do totally understand the reasons for your decsion. Thanks for explaining it for me.

But I still like the old stuff better. :o

Darrell

Thank you, Darrell, for bringing to Dean's attention the fact that most of us do NOT use hot glue to assemble these kits. I bought a glue gun at one point in my crafting life, but have yet to find anything to use it for! I usually tape everything warpable down with masking tape until it's dry. Even when I stain the shingles before applying them they still warp & curl like wood shavings.

Dean, I truly appreciate the consistency factor, but the kits really do put together better with wood glue. I'm not sure about using alcohol & shellac because I've used sanding sealer under primer or stain and then sealer, and I personally think it makes a better-looking, more durable & professional-looking finished product. I also reinforce the joints, but that's my preference.

I do like the wood siding vs cardboard (because I haven't tried the cardboard, but if I can't draw a straight line with a straight-edge, no way can I cut one! lol), but in my construction paper slates experiment with the Glencroft I found the paper didn't curl any worse than the thin wood shingles. On the other hand, the thin wood shingles & siding are certainly easier to cut to conform to curves, etc, than thicker wood would do (recalling with a shudder the cedar shakes that came with Dura-Craft).

You can see in my post on the Corona Travel Trailer my rant about warping of the thin veneer on the curved portions of the trailer. (mine is still sitting in the corner being punished) 

:o :D

Holly makes a very good point. The thinner, smoother shingles and siding are far easier to cut to a particular shape and fit into place. The older stuff I like had a tendency to split or break entirely where I didn't intend for it to, which means I had to have more than I would actually need to allow for LOSS of some of the material. The siding didn't cause nearly as much trouble as the roof shingles.

So, I guess it's a toss up as they both have their advantages. Personally, I can put up with tempermental wood if it means I lose some of it, but get a finished result more to my liking. However, having said that it took me many sittings to get the roof on the Beacon Hill done with all of its sexy curves, because I'd get to a point I just HAD to get up and walk away before I took my frustration out on the poor innocent house. LOL! It would wait patiently for my return on a new day, with some calmness restored.

I hadn't felt that frustration in all the years since I built it until last night when one of the brads I kept dropping clumsily whilst attempting to wire the ceiling lamp into the hallway of the McKinley which is WHY it came up. Oh it's in and works and looks fine. But my wide hands in such a narrow opening aren't all that compatible. And then I have to get in the fixture, solder, soldering iron AND light along with both hands. It was a wonderful comedy and having had a video camera running would have given you all some good entertainment to keep ya smilin' for a bit. Too bad we didn't have that going on too. LOL!

Darrell

Beacon Hill done with all of its sexy curves, because I'd get to a point I just HAD to get up and walk away before I took my frustration out on the poor innocent house. LOL! It would wait patiently for my return on a new day, with some calmness restored.
Yep, that is exactlly what I meant about the curved roof of the Lily.

Darrell you made my day, I thought it was just because I was a beginner not only with dollhouses but using some of the tools. But to see someone who does such GREAT work get frustrated and have to walk away gives me hope that maybe I can tackle the next house and eventually finished the LILY.

But my wide hands in such a narrow opening aren't all that compatible.

And that's why I still haven't redone the attic room yet, waiting for the patience to not take a hammer to the house when I have to fit these large hands in the opening to paint and decorate.

Peggi

Darrell, I'm using those siding strips you mentioned from HBS (40 to a pack). I'm using them on the interior of my house and was gluing them in one by one . . . and then warpage set in! Yuck!! So I took them out and glued them onto some cardstock and piled a mountain of books on them. That seems to have done the trick. Then I used a template to cut the piece to size and just glued the cardstock with the siding strips onto the wall. Tedious work, but I'm happy with the results.

However, I don't think I'd use them on the exterior of an elegant house like the Beacon Hill. They're very rustic looking (as the description says) and are very thin. . . at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!! :o

• 4 weeks later...
I don’t even have any of the old material left here for myself, but the product you mentioned at Hobby Builders Supply is indeed the old siding.

Again, sorry for any troubles!

Dean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummm.... Dean......

I just got a couple of bags of that siding from HBS that they called "rustic". And it IS indeed different ffrom the "later" stuff I added to our Beacon Hill but closer to that than it is to the (evidently) really old stuff I was using when I started the Beacon Hill. For one thing it's a lot smoother and a lot thinner.

So the stuff I was referring to that I love so much must have come from the Jurassic era. Not sure. But I don't like this stuff either. Though it WOULD make good flooring or panelling. But the rustic stuff Ernie is selling is a lot closer to the later (newer) stuff I bought. It's about half the thickness of the original stuff I was using. Warps wayyy too easy. And isn't nearly rustic enough to be called rustic, IMO.

Oh well, Hopefully I'll find the right wood some day.

Darrell

Sorry Darrell! I breezed over this and had plans on getting back to you, but I forgot all about it. Was my name on the stuff you got from Ernie? I thought that there was just the two types, the new birch and the old style. I'm pretty sure I know what your talking about; it was thicker then the birch, reddish and looked like it kind of had hair. I thought that is what I posted the link to.

How much siding do you need? I have a lot left over from my Jefferson and would be happy to share if you'll cover postage.

Carol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure! I'll take any you feel like you can spare. Just let me know how much and I'll send ya the money.

Darrell

Sorry Darrell!  I breezed over this and had plans on getting back to you, but I forgot all about it.  Was my name on the stuff you got from Ernie?  I thought that there was just the two types, the new birch and the old style.  I'm pretty sure I know what your talking about; it was thicker then the birch, reddish and looked like it kind of had hair.  I thought that is what I posted the link to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah! That was the stuff. Don't know about it having hair but it was pretty rough lookin'. May have had hair at one point or other. LOL! But it WAS reddish in color and a lot thicker.

The packages we got from HBS had no name on them at all. Just 40 pieces taped up in a clear plastic bag. Looks more like the white birch stuff.

Darrell

Darrel,

I'll have someone lug the box out for me tomorrow and figure out how much is left, then let you know. It sure sounds like what you are talking about.

I hate throwing wood out, so I'm glad you can use it.

If you'll PM me your address, I'll mail it out.

Carol

Hi Darrell, I have some siding left over from both the Beacon Hill and the Jefferson but I'm not too sure which one you're interested in. I've taken a couple of macro pics (I love that feature) so you can judge which one you would like. If either, you are more than welcome to have what I have left and if you would pay for shipping then I will send them right away.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy... I thought I might have been a little crazy in my description with the hair comment, but the edges do appear to be a little ragged that could be referred to as hairy. OK, I might be stretching it a little.

Anyway, that looks like the stuff, but I thought it was a little thicker.

Sure Wendy,

I'll take anything you're willing to send too. I have to say I'm in agreement with Dean on it though. It sure does look like the stuff. kinda reddish and rough. But I do think the original stuff was a bit thicker. That doesn't look much thicker than the white birch smooth stuff. And there's quite a bit if difference in the thickness on the stuff I have on the Beacon Hill.

Still, I cannot get enough wood strips. I use them for siding when I have enough, but also (just in case you want to keep some of it) They make good plank floors, panelling for walls and ceilings, etc.

Darrell