My Willow

Just One More

I decided not to use the original stairs afterall in my Willow. The problem is the stair opening is really large to put in average-size stairs. I filled in the space with 1/8 inch wood to fit the new stairs. The problem is, the floors were stained and now the filled in area of course doesn't match. The floors in all the rooms are stained and look pretty good so I don't want to have just the second floor stair area look really different. I have a velvet hall-sized rug with fringe and it hides the patched area. Here's the problem. I know it's there and it screams patch job. Should I glue the rug down and in a hundred years who would know or care, or should I just go back to the original stairs or should I put new floor down and change all the other floors to match. I have a dollhouse book from England and she says if it doesn't show don't agonize over it. I go through this all the time with the windows. They never look really good to me unless I upgrade. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

I have a dollhouse book from England and she says if it doesn't show don't agonize over it.

I think the author of this book is a very wise person.

I wouldn't glue the rug down. You may want to take it out sometime down the road for a good dusting/cleaning. But you could hold it in place with tacky wax so it won't slip and give up its secret.

I put the original stairs in and have the narrower stairs to the attic. I didn't put in the fireplace/bookcase wall in the living room and just have a Jamestown fireplace so there is still lots of room even with the wider stairs. Last night I used my clamp on light to see into the house and finish the windows. I was surprised how nice things look even in the bright light so the windows, etc. that I wasn't happy with, are OK afterall. I have to make a bunch of curtains and do the shingles next.

I have a lot of 1920's style kitchen things so will probably decorate in that era. I have a Bodo Hennig Victorian stove I found at a garage sale awhile back for only seven dollars so it's time I used it. I closed up the windows in the attic so don't know what I'll use those rooms for. The smaller room over the living room has three windows and that's kind of a lot for a bathroom. Maybe I won't have a bathroom and just have more bedrooms.

I thought about putting in dormers but have to figure out how to make them from scratch. I don't think the ones ready made are the right pitch. Has anyone made dormers for the Willow?

should I put new floor down and change all the other floors to match.
Since I just saw this post & the problem seems to be solved, I suppose my observation is moot, but your second floor hall floor doesn't have to match every other floor in the house. In my houses, as in ral houses, I use several different floor tretments in a single house.
I go through this all the time with the windows. They never look really good to me unless I upgrade. Does anyone else have a similar problem?
No, because I work with what's there & I learned after the first couple of kits what seems cosmetically necessary in one build doesn't in another, even with the same kit. This is a hobby, Pat, and meant to be FUN! There is no agony in FUN unless you're a "weekend warrior"! If you build it & decide you'd rather upgrade your windows & doors, you pop out the ones you don't like & make the adjustments (I've done that). It might mean "extra" work, but building a dollhouse & making things are all "extra" work!lol