I am getting another dh

heidiiiii

I want to make window boxes but I have no clue (or handy capabilities) to do it.
Invest in a packet of popsicle-sized craft sticks, cut three pieces the length of your window width + trim, glue two of the pieces at right angles to each other (one long side & the bottom), cut two pieces to fit the "L" and glue them in, then glue the third long piece on for the other long side. Paint or otherwise finish off your windowbox. I usually "plant" my flowers in styrofoam I have cut to fit in the windowbox & glued in place, I paint the edge of the styrofoam that shows with different shades of brown paint for the soil.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a package from Greenleaf yesterday (Thanks Dean! Thanks Lisa!)

Now I can get the front door worked on and the trim that I am missing. This is a honey of a house. I didnt actually build it but if I am going to build a house for a little girl again, this is the one that I will build.

Must remember to call Salvation Army today.

Thank you Holly. I have craft sticks so I think I will give that a try.

I called the Salvation Army office and I am going to have to wait until early November to find out if they will accept it as a christmas gift.. She said they might not.

They are taking applications soon and the children are supposed to put 3 gifts that they would like on their list. Then I guess I can call to find out if any child wants a dollhouse. They dont want to give a child a dollhouse as a gift unless they asked for one.

If they dont have a child there, I dont know what to do with the house. I guess I can call our local infoline next month and see if they can help me.

Isnt it funny that it may actually be HARD to give this house away?

It will not slow me down..I am *stainglassing* the windows as we speak.

Carrie thank you for the idea.

I emailed the officer in charge of our Toys for Tots at the Sub base in Groton. He emailed me right back and was thrilled. He told me to email him when I was done with the house and they will pick it up for the drive!

I want to finish because I think I am going to rehab the Orchid and send her off as a Christmas present too!

*this is me being giddy... :D )

Heidi, ALWAYS think of Toys for Tots! I began donating the rehabs last year, but every year since we moved to Gadsden County DH & I start the day after Christmas and buy toys all year long to donate!

I had life going on so I didnt get much work done this week but I did a few things today so far. I have the front door done and i found these primitive hearts that I painted white and glued to the shutters.

Going to post the pics of the door in gallery.

Nat said I could donate the Orchid. I had to bring it downstairs because of something MF was doing. He was climbing on the Kozbro house and I could hear the wood breaking on the second floor. He was determined to break it I swear!

So the Kozbro went up where the Orchid was in Nat`s room and the Orchid is down here for me to rehab.

Now I have to figure out how to get the twine off the roof!!!!!

I have the Orchid out and I thought I would add a picture for posterity.

I am going to have to go to the dollar store. I dont think I will have enough stuff to put in both of these houses without drastically depleting my own stash (horrors! Cant do that!).

Now I have to figure out how to get the twine off the roof!!!!!

The Ochid is so neat looking already - couldn't you leave the twine in place and paint over it? That way, you would still have the look of the twine's texture. If you varnished it after painting, it would be "wipe-cleanable", and smooth enough not to scratch a child's sensitive skin.

I didn't get a response when I posted on Freecycle, so I will have to try again next month. :) I won't be able to do one for a child's Xmas gift, but maybe for some other occasion.

• 2 weeks later...

Shy..That is a great idea! Thank you!

I am going to do just that.

The Arthur is moving right along. I have been posting pics of the progress so far. I still havent really dug in my boxes of goodies to see what I am going to add.

I have made up ziploc baggies with the name of the rooms on the outside so when they get the house to give to the child, maybe they can set it up for her to see it in all it`s glory. I still have to make a vine and flowers for the arbor i built on the side of the house.

I have completed the inside of the Arthur. I have to do a few touches to the exterior but I am basically done.

(pics in gallery) I sent off the address of the gallery to the former owners so they can see what was done to her.

It is now time to conquer the Orchid. I dont know if I will paint the twine or not..I am afraid of what it might look like. :wave:

I need to repaint some of the trim and re-attach. Then i have to see what I can donate to this house. Pickings are getting slim. I dont want to get rid of some of my core pieces for the MHM. I will just have to bite the bullet and get it over with..LOL

Heidi, the house is perfectly pink and precious - just right for some lucky little girl! The former owners will be so surprised at the new (old) dh now. I like the latticework on the front step and base. :)

Thank you!

Yes, I was surprised how girly I was able to make it. I usually have a hard time really going all out girl in any part of my life. I was never a pink lover and neither were the girls.

I was worried it would turn out to be a Pepto Bismal nightmare but the color was just right..not chalky at all..hehehe

I dug thru my minis and found some things for the Orchid. I emailed the man in charge at the Sub base to tell him that I am ready to have him pick them up.

I sacrificed a few of my swap items for the cause on both houses. I hope no one is miffed that I am giving them away.

It's so nice to see a little girl's eyes light up with a dollhouse of her own. A year ago I moved from NJ to SC and the truck we rented was too small (hubby wouldn't listen to me, told him we needed bigger). Anyway, I has a huge Alexandria that I built and we just couldn't fit it. So I had it out front while we were loading the truck and a policeman came by and asked about it. I told him I just couldn't fit it in the truck. He said he had a daughter that always wanted one. So I told him he could have it. Later he came by with his daughter to pick it up and made her day. That house was a lot of work and was expensive to paper and trim, but I felt good about giving it away when I saw how happy the little girl was. :giggle: Bea

These are not my first houses to give away. It does feel good to see the delight on their face.

I need these houses OUT of here. They are taking up room and I cant work on the Jefferson until they are gone.

I dont know if I could sacrifice my MHM. That is my treasure...I think the couch would end up on the curb before she did! LOL

The Orchid looks lovely - I really like the sky and the clouds - is that paper, or did you paint them? The colourfully dressed doll is a nice touch too. Heidi, I just know that some little girl is going to be THRILLED to get it!

The Orchid looks lovely - I really like the sky and the clouds - is that paper, or did you paint them? The colourfully dressed doll is a nice touch too. Heidi, I just know that some little girl is going to be THRILLED to get it!

That is scrapbook/memory paper from AcMoore. I think it was like 25c a sheet and there was a discount on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Just giving an update. I emailed the guy in charge of the Toys for Tots drive at the Navy base twice over this past month. No response. I called on Thursday and left a message with his *live* voice mail. That was funny..I asked the guy if he had a voice mail I could use and the he said "Your talking to it.." We both laughed.

I cannot deliver it because they havent gotten the boxes for the toys yet. But he took my information (address also) so hopefully I will be hearing something soon.