What happens on my first day back to dollhouses? I end up in the ER

Ms. Mini

So yes today was the big day i was going to dive back into working on dollhouses. yesterday i cleared my work bench, moved my Emerson row to the bedroom and gave the whole counter to my moms suprise tennyson im building. Last night I go to get my sand paper and glue out and notice that my glue is all dried up. So I leave the house this morning at 8 to go to michaels to get some glue. They are closed, they dont open tell 10 on sundays. i had a gift card for michaels which is why I wanted to go there and not walmart etc. so i go home, pout for a few and then decide to try to "cut" off the dry glue with my exacto knife... (im sure you can see where this is going to end up, lol). So im pick away at it. Holding the bottle in my left and and using the knife outwards. The exacto slips and goes straight into my left pointer finger. (this is where it gets a little gross)

I didnt "slice" it, I "stabed" this knife into my finger. I look down and instantly see that I can now "see" into my finger. stuff I dont really want to see. I press down really hard on it and go out to the living room and told caleb I did something "really stupid". We put a paper towel on it and I held it down for about 10 mins before I would even let him look at it. I got the knife and showed it to him. you could see the blood on it for how far it went into my hand. About an inch in. yikes.

I called my mom the nurse and had her come look. she said i def. needed to go to the ER. So off we went. I dont do well with blood or pain and almost passed out a few times, im sure i was a sight to see lol. the docter says he blevies i sliced into my tendon but that it was to early to tell and since I could move my finger i was ok for now. there biggest concern was infection. He numbed my hand up pretty good with a few injections and opend it up a little to clean it out. Stiched me up and told me that I need to not use this finger and keep a serious eye out for infection, which he said woudl be VERY likely for me to get. I told him that the bottom of that finger was kind of numb when we went in and he told me thats usual a sign of minor nerve and tendon damage. So now I just have to wait and see.

So much for starting on the house today! lol. this weekend has been very dangerous for me LOL. Yesterday morning I fell down our outide stairs carrying out laundry basket in the rain. I landed on my right side and elbow and have big bruises to show for it, and today I get stiches. lol. My mom said they come in 3 and I needed to stay indoors for a few days. haha.

work should be intersting tomorrow.

anyways just wanted to share my day with you all! hopefully I can get back at the work station soon!

this weekend has been very dangerous for me LOL. Yesterday morning I fell down our outide stairs carrying out laundry basket in the rain. I landed on my right side and elbow and have big bruises to show for it, and today I get stiches. lol. My mom said they come in 3 and I needed to stay indoors for a few days. haha.

<going around the room and picking up all the sharp, pointy things> <wrapping all the corners of tables in foam> I know exactly what you mean Jenny. I have times when it seems like for days and days I'm walking into door frames and tripping over nothing. Your mother's advice is excellent about staying indoors. Maybe reading a good book?

I hope your finger gets better faster and with no infection. Take good care of yourself.

Deb

Oh my - it happens all too easily - and quickly, and then takes far longer to heal. How long are you supposed to let the finger/hand rest? You must be getting impatient already - I know I would be! When will you know if the tendons and nerves are okay? I will keep my fingers (safely) crossed for you, and remember this thread every time I pick up my exacto knife.

STAY SAFE!

We miniaturists really live life on the edge. :)

Jenny I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune!!

There is one kit that I suffer terrible wounds from every time I build it and I am due to make another one for a friend :) (I will try to be as careful as I can but I must say, I am a bit nervous).

Be sure to keep brand new blades for your exacto knife in stock at home. A dull blade causes terrible wounds because you end up putting more pressure down on the knife when you are cutting things which can injure you if it slips.

Take it easy and keep the pain pills close by while at work.

good morning everyone :) im doing ok today. my arm is still very sore, but I'll manage :D The area around the stiches is looking a litte red today, i dont know if that is from it just being irriated or if that is a sign of an injection started.

How long are you supposed to let the finger/hand rest? You must be getting impatient already - I know I would be! When will you know if the tendons and nerves are okay?

The doctor said 8 days. but we'll see. im already feeling antsy to work out and be active. I can only bend my finger slightly. Im hoping there is no perminent damage. Im keeping my fingers crossed. the doctor said if i still dont have movement in 8 days they will open it up again and see whats going on.

im gonna see how long I last at work today! lol

AWE! Poor kid!

that is just awful!

I am always afraid of cutting myself! coz they sure dont make cut proof gloves you can work in.

do be more careful from now on! Dollhouses cannot get built if the help is out on medical leave!

I hope its just sore and you didnt do any real damage!

take care of yerself!

nutti :)

Oh I hope you get better soon I am sorry for you! I know what you mean about being accident prone! My son had his kindergarten shots the other day at pre-school. So I took him home and he was crying and princess Rhubarb was crying because brother was crying. I was trying to get the princess out of her car seat I lost my footing on the gravel and my ankle twisted. She and I flew up in the air and I landed flat on my back hitting my head on a big rock in the process!

Thank goodness the princess landed on top of me! I had such a thunping headache after that! I am lucky I didn't knock myself unconcious! I am sure the babies would've been running the streets naked if that were to happen! :)

Oh Jenny that sounds horrible, I hope you recover quickly and your finger doesn't get an infection. Please take it easy.

I have times when it seems like for days and days I'm walking into door frames and tripping over nothing.

Deb, I thought I was the only one that did that :) .