OH BOY!

IAK

So I've been mulling around the french door on the second floor of the Beacon for awhile now and with a little encouragement from my buds Bec and Sharon I took the plunge and bought a dremel. Doing the happy dance...instructions have been read have my saftey glasses all ready now I just have to work up the courage to actually cut the opening bigger... :D

Here's what I got:

post-663-1189076222_thumb.jpg

Need to drink a pot of coffee first to make sure I'm awake :lol:

Great!! I bet it will really come in handy!

My DH told me I could use his--he won one but doesnt' use it--now I know why, we can't find it....must be why he said I could use it,lol

Enjoy your new Dremel :D

ps. what's the best type to buy?? I don't think I want absolutely every possible accessory (right now,lol) But I want to make sure that I dont' buy something that I'm not going to like in a year....know what I mean?? ( I see there's a 300, a 400, and a couple others)

If I were going to go buy one, I would get the 400 RXP. It does comes with alot of things, but once you start using them, you will quickly find yourself glad that you did buy that one. It has the power wand with it, which makes it even easier to use. On sale, you should be able to get the kit for about $89. A cordless one is great also, for using in the house, etc., and that would be the second one I would buy!

The 400 kit comes with a variety of bits, but I think you will end up using them all. I know I do, and it was the best Christmas gift I had received, since I had gotten the Pierce kit one Christmas!

The 400 kit comes with a variety of bits, but I think you will end up using them all. I know I do, and it was the best Christmas gift I had received, since I had gotten the Pierce kit one Christmas!

Yep that's the one I got....stood there for like 15 minutes last night in HD while my DH went and did he own thing. Decided on the 400 with accessories...was 79 bucks the saw attachment was 29 (just had to have it!) I didn't want to get the cordless stylus..wanted a plug then I didn't have to wait while batteries charged plus the 400 is the most powerful one. So ready to see what I did so far?...Hee Hee...

post-663-1189095704_thumb.jpg

Scored and removed the shingles first

post-663-1189095714_thumb.jpg

cut the opening and installed the french door

post-663-1189095731_thumb.jpg

Veiw from the inside

post-663-1189095750_thumb.jpg

Now it matches the side door

Did I tell ya how much I love this dremel?

Great job, Irene! They do look good. Gotta love the Dremels - they are a life saver sometimes. I also just recently bought the little mini cordless - just for hard to reach inside jobs.

I have a drill press someone gave me, that sits on my workbench. I have the power cable hooked to it, and that way, with I can use it for either a drill press, or cutting, or sanding, or whatever is needed! They are a mini house builders best friend.

You made a wonderful selection with the 400XPR.

As a long time user and six years as a demonstrator for Dremel, I have used and still own most of the Dremel products. I have to say the 400XPR is the most versatile/useable model yet. I doubt that you will need the planer; although, I am sure someone in this group will find uses for it. (It is great to relieve a sticking door in you RL house.) If this tool becomes a super popular item, there will be more attachments to help the users do most anything. Keep your eye on www.dremel.com.

The only item I would add to your Dremel stable right now is the workstation which combines a hanger for the tool when using the flex-shaft, a great drill press that can be rotated for angle drilling and for use as a tollholder for detail polishing. I have this rig and love it.

I would also suggest the right angle drive that will let you work on a side wall inside the dollhouse. (Actually, I reserve this chore for the new Stylus now that it is available. I like that one so much that I have two of them. No charging problems like with the older NiCad powered tools. I just set it back in the dock when I put it down and the tool remains charged. Set it aside for weeks or months and it still has enough charge to do your job.)

Regardless of what this memo sounds like, I am not an employee of Dremel. I just have a lot of experience and like to pass it on.

You will love that Dremel 400XPR set you have.

Dave

The only item I would add to your Dremel stable right now is the workstation which combines a hanger for the tool when using the flex-shaft, a great drill press that can be rotated for angle drilling and for use as a tollholder for detail polishing. I have this rig and love it.

:D Yes I saw that at the store last night and was eyeballing it....definately a future purchase :lol:

Congrats on your newest toy...errr...tool. My hubby has a cordless Dremel and I use it occassionally. I thought about getting one for myself, with all the bells and whistles, but I honestly don't think that I would get much use out of it. I am not much of a basher, and it seems that that is what it would be most useful for. Glad to hear that you got a good deal on one.

I'd like to add thatDH got me the router table Sears had for the rotary tool and I do like it four routing slots & grooves despite Larry Marshall's poo-pooing it! I just don't quite have the nerve to try the hand-router...

Irene, a suggestion for making your own wood putty (I've posted this elsewhere, too; it's a tip I picked up from Dr Bob's pst to Small Stuff Digest & should be in ther archives). Save your sawdust! Mine goes into an empty yogurt container. You can mix it with a bit of wood glue or tacky glue and whatever stain you're using on the piece you want to fill and you're hot to trot. You can sand it and it's already stained.