Majorly cutting some apron strings

heidiiiii

I just sent off the payment for Chelsea`s big adventure..She paid for it/used my debit to make it.

She is going to D.C. on Sept 15th for a march on washington. She will be with a group of adults from our area on a bus from here to DC. Basically a 24 hr trip. She wanted to know if I wanted to go but I couldnt handle that physically.

I was very antsy about it until I found out that it is very organized and she will be helping out with flyers and such in D.C....I dont want to get a phone call.."Maaaa! I missed the bus home!!!!" ROFL

I am only mentioning this not because of the reason for the march, but because you all know i have been worried about kicking this chick out of the nest. I think she is going to fly instead of bounce on the pavement.

It is so important of kids to develop a sense of the world and their place in it. This is a GOOD thing. She is not hitchhiking like we did "back in the day"!

My son is so changed by his trip to Honduras this summer. He went to build some classrooms a water purification system and some latrines at an orphanage. He live just as the residents did, including 4 houses of farm labor on his "days off" of building. Now he has not just seen but lived in poverty.

You would not think that a month of this would have much of an impact but he is now so grateful for everything he has. Indoor plumbing, dental care, parents. The biggest realization he came home with? Orphans have a far BETTER diet and education that the average child in Honduras.

What is the march about, Heidi? Here in Canada, we miss alot of what's going on in your country. She's going to be just fine, it's mom we have to worry about!!

You can go to this website.. www.answercoalition.org

They are not only an anti-war organization but a anti-racism org too. She found out about it from a flyer that was hanging on a telephone pole downtown.

She goes to weekly meetings.

I want to go but I cant. The bus leaves late at night, then drives straight thru to D.C., supposed to get there at 7am, then the march is at noon..they will leave D.C. at 5pm and drive all the way back to CT.. Ugh! I would definitely need a cigarette after that trip!

She also found a vegan group! There are about 8-9 vegans in our city (that are known) and she has been invited to join their monthly vegan potluck supper.

Arda,

She is 18 yrs. I cant lock her up anymore. I still made sure I found out whether it was an overnighter or not, that there would be responsible adults around, that they were making numerous food stops, and that the group would stay together. So I feel better. And she will have a nice adventure to add to her memories.

It just keeps getting better...

Chelsea went to a meeting last night (the above organization) and she met some of the people that actually work for it.

They asked her if when she goes to D.C. this weekend if instead of going home on the bus would she like to stay until Wednesday (she would drive back with them) and do some field and office work. They have housing for the volunteers. THEN they told her since she is not in college right now, would she be interested in doing an internship with the organization. Their offices are in NYC. She would take the train down and stay for a couple days (they have housing for volunteers there too) and take train home. I have to have her find out all the logistics and such. But it could become a job. My baby..sniff sniff *watching her fly away from the nest successfully*

Oh here I forgot to tell you this one. We went to *Back to school night* at the high school and I forced Chelsea to come with us (i am mean like that). The high school consists of two schools..the public high school and a science magnet school.

Well the principal of the magnet school (he used to be principal of high school) saw Chelsea and he started asking her about what she was doing. He said he mentioned her to a photographer at our local paper. Well he said he would pay her to take pics of school events!! And even provide her with a camera and access to the equipment at school. Natalie is going to see him today to get information for Chelsea.

Okay this is a total bragfest but I am entitled!

And I am making sure she gets all the information so she is not homeless or hungry on her adventure in D.C.

I'm not a parent...so take my view on this with a grain of salt...

but I think an 18 year old is quite competent enough to travel like this, stay in Washington, do the job in NYC, all that. You've checked, it seems like there are responsible adults around, I think she'll be fine. Many 18 year olds go off to college at this age, and are gone FAR away, for a LONG period of time. When I was 18 I went to college..and except for a few days on holidays, was never under my mother's roof again. I participated in all sorts of anti-war rallies and activities, never even asking my mother for permission, drove war resisters to Canada (this was during the Viet Nam war), organized women's rights rallies, all that...without her knowing anything about it (she would have been VIOLENTLY opposed), and live to tell about it. By 20 was living in my boyfriends apartment (again, unknown to her), by 21 married. That was 39 years ago. He's still here. :p

Ann,

I am not opposed to this AT ALL.

She has been sheltered and this is just what she needs to giddy-up her adulthood. I used to run off to NYC with friends w/o parents knowledge when I was younger.

It is just happening so fast...We have to run out and get some stuff for her to pack (toiletries, snacks, etc). I didnt have a moment of dread or fear when she told me about this. I just wanted to know that she would have a place to lay her head and a ride home. Other then that...Go for it Girl!

Heidi, Chelsea has some wonderful opportunities available to her. She will do well. I still have a couple of years before my oldest leaves; she is stretching the wings though. Mabyn has a job at a fast food place. And saving part of her earnings. I don't know how I will feel when it is time. Her graduation date is scheduled on her birthday. The school district will know for sure by the start of 08-09 year. We have joked about buying her luggage.

I didn't think you were opposed..just want to make clear that 18 is old enough for such adventures, in case others might have doubted it. From what you've posted here, I think your daughter will do just fine in the world! Good job, Mom! :p

I always feel so guilty when I read this thread because I have spent os much of my parenting energy pushing my boys out the door! DH would still have them all in footie PJ's. The first major fight of our marriage was because I took off and threw away our oldest son's training wheels. He had (and still has) GREAT balance! BTW, he was riding on two wheels the next day.

Agnes,

Dont you in any way feel one bit guilty. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldnt have coddled them so much. Chelsea more then Natalie. You get lazier with the next kid..you all know what I mean..LOL

NOW I must train them for life, I should have done that earlier.

I feel like I did a disservice to them by not getting them out there and independent. I also have to agree though that Chelsea has always (i mean since a baby) on the shy side. I think this will make her blossom.

Heidi, it's great that life seems to be pulling together for Chelsea. The more doors she barges through, the more she'll find on the other side, eh? :blink:

By the way, I'm glad you know that the group is well organized, but I wouldn't worry if she misses a meal or two or doesn't have a place to sleep. Even if she has a place available, that doesn't mean she'll use it. She'll survive and thrive -- for sure!

Grrrrrrr! :)

I am NOT going to kill her. I am NOT going to maim her.

She is leaving tonite and is being a you-know-what. I hate know it all teenagers..I really really really hate them.

I am venting here because I dont want to argue with her and ruin her last day here before she is gone for 5 days.

Breathe in....Breathe out.

Nat is going to be gone for the weekend too! WooHoo! Dh and I have the whole house to ourselves.

Heidi Teenagers act that way so when they do finally leave we are not standing there bawling our eyeballs out...we are ready for them to go out and find their own way!

Catriona is behind in her antics though I will cry when I see her set out in the world.

how exciting you and DH will ba alone for the weekend. have you made any plans?

I will be surrounded by teenagers for about 4 hours Sat night...send positive vibes our way!

nutti :)

She is gone. We found out at the last minute that they had to carry their stuff with them at the march! :) So we stuffed a backpack, cut out the non-essentials, and I sent her and her pregnant looking back off to D.C. Hope she doesnt kill anybody when she turns around.

I told her to wave in the MSNBC cameras. LOL

She stopped being mean after the 4th hour of our errands to run. She appreciated me taking her to the laundramat to get a load washed of her *good* jeans. She has healthy snacks to munch on tomorrow so I wont worry about her keeling over.

I wonder what movie Fred and I should go see tomorrow? hmmmm

I really want to see 3:10 to Yuma but I dont think he will want to. (he doesnt like westerns..I do) well there is always Shoot em up or The Brave one.

She is going to call Saturday nite to let me know she isnt maimed or arrested and then I told her she doesnt have to clock in unless she wants to.

I cant wait to get up there and CLEAN HER ROOM!

Ahhhh!

What a wonderful day. Chelsea called this morning to say she made it to DC fine. She will call later on when everything settles down. Natalie is off for the whole weekend at her friends house. So it is just me and the ole man.

We went shopping, had a nice long lazy lunch, went to the cider mill to get our first taste of fall (sweet cider, hard cider, pumpkin bread, and a couple homeade donuts), walmart and then home. Now he is lounging on the couch and I am here talking to you. I also found a nice recipe for bruschetta that I am going to be making shortly. I am in the mood for a light dinner..maybe a salad and/or soup. It is so nice and breezy today! LOVE IT!

I am not nervous at all. It was one of those days that reminded me of when we were younger..we just got tired faster and we have more money..LOL