Mini Drywall

evervescent

I'm building a framed house using foamcore on the outside attached to a wood frame. I need ideas for the material to use as "drywall" on the interior of the house. If I use foamcore here, it will be way too thick. I need something sturdy, but thin. I've considered using sheets of basswood, but that would cost me a fortune.

Any ideas? I've heard of gatorboard, but I don't know how thick that is.

post-508-1188245295_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A really great job on this house. The photo is great. Not many folks dare to try to build as realistically. Too bad you must cover up the great structure with wallboard.

Having said that, I am about to suggest my favorite mini building material: Illustrator's Board. It is just about right thickness to approximate the usual 5/8" wallboard used in full scale houses. It is strong and stiff. It is easy to cut. It can easily be sanded to fit the doorways and windows. It takes paint well and can be covered with wallpaper if you seal it first (otherwise it soaks up the glue). It is readily available in office supply stores, and best of all, it is cheap!

I also use gatorboard and even the thinnest is a bit too thick for your design. It is also expensive unless you have a graphics company near you that will let you relieve them of their scraps. That's where I've gotten mine. Next time, scrounge some gator board and use it instead of foamcore for the exterior walls. Once you do, you will never go back to the foamcore.

Please let us see how the house progresses. Photos are welcome.

Dave

Your house is wonderful and congratulations on doing it the hard way! Brave you are! And when I need wallboard, I use 1/16th" cardboard. Works like a charm - and would even be better with the framing like you have done!

Wolfie

Your house is GREAT! And someone already sais matboard. It takes paint and paper well and you can even faux finishe it ti look like wood. If you know how to bevel and score, you can make great baseboards, crown molding etc with it also. I have one of those big paper cutters that cuts long slices and can make pretty small "sticks"

Thanks so much for all your comments and support. I think I will try all of the suggestions here and see which one works the best. :p

I have more pictures on my website, www.minipalooza.com, under BARTON COTTAGE. I'm not very far past what you see right now, but I hope to get some work done on it this holiday weekend. I'll post some more pictures if I actually get to make some progress. :p

Thank you for posting the pictures and starting this thread, Andrea. I've been wanting to try stick-building for a "scratch" build, too. What are you using for the framing?

I'm using 1/2x1/2x36 inch square rods like you get from Lowes. I think they're probably pine. I think you can get them made out of basswood if you order from the hobby supply shops. You can also get them into smaller sizes, but I wanted to represent large timbers since I'm recreating a 18th century house. :p

Your dollhouse is coming out great! You are very talented to tackle a project of that size. If I didn't know any better, I'd say from the pictures it looks like a full-scale house being built! There is amazing accuracy and realism in every part of the house.

Great work! Keep it up, I can't wait to see more!

Christine

When I decorated the inside of the attic in the McKinnely, I used cardboard in a grey color. It was from the inside of cereal boxes. I then added dots and seam lines with drywall compound and sanded lightly when dry. You can see a pic in the Mckinnely building blog.

Melissa

I actually got to make some progress on the house this past weekend. :joystick: We cut and attached the remaining windows and I made a kitchen for the house. The actual movie doesn't show a kitchen, but I can't have a house without a kitchen. It's the most fun room to decorate for me. And this one will be fun because I'm going to leave the rafters open so I can hang some herbs and meat from them.

I updated my photos. Barton Cottage

Such a long list of things to do its a bit overwhelming right now. I think I'm just going to try to make a list of everything that needs to be done and try to figure out what order to get started.