What's everyone working on?

THmini2

Almost done with the Rye -- installed the shingles (yay!) but creating the vinegar/metal solution to use to weather the shingles once the glue has dried.

For tonight, probably just stain the molding for the living room and let that dry. That way, tomorrow will just be installation and applying the weathering treatment before officially stating that I'm done.

Then again, might go ahead and start prepping the next project (the RGT Tudor)....ah, decisions, decisions!

I'm recuperating from the Spring Fling, and soon to resume work on the Creatin' Contest for HBS. I put that aside for awhile, and now need to pick up where I left off. However, there are some oversized RL projects clamoring for my attention. Yuck! ;)

organized much of the mini stuff in the new basement workshop area. Sorted out some goodies for my son's girlfriend's little daughter to go through. Got the BH parts in a gigantic lawn bag and propped up for easy access in a corner near the table. Took time out to work on a mini room box rehab. Stopped to flop on the sofa and finish a good murder mystery book ("The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag", by Alan Bradley).

Finishing scraps for supper, so don't have to cook. Kellan's wonderful warm chocolate pudding cake from last night will give us just enough dessert.

I managed to get three floors completed today, one room wallpapered and wallpaper templates made for another room, now I'm just waiting for them all to dry before they can be installed. I'm not finished yet though, just taking a break and then I plan to start working on the hardwood floor for the masterbedroom. I'm trying to make up for lost time, because in a couple of weeks life is going to get very busy and the dollhouse is going to have to take a back seat for a while!! I'm getting very excited about the move now, but am not looking forward to the packing and unpacking part, however it will all be worth it in the end.

I've missed everyone on this thread! :laughbounce: I am done with the Spring Fling, but I've been trying to get the details of the build posted on my blog.

In other news, I've gotten back to the Newport. Hurray! It was weird going from being messy and making everything look over a hundred years old to being precise and making things pristine. I am just about done with the first floor, well, not decorating but building. Soon, I will move on to the next 5 rooms on the second floor. Here's a sneak preview of the more contemporary fireplace I'm building...

post-4679-1275322904_thumb.jpg

Well I'm super happy with how the kitchen and batroom floors turned out, I used scrapbook paper and modge podged it to cardstock and then varnished it and wow what a beautiful floor it makes!! It took me a while to find a scrapbook paper I liked for the bathroom but low and behold when the right one appeared it jumped right out at me!! I'm getting very anxious to get started on the siding but I'm trying not to rush it there are a few more things I need to do before I get started on that!!

Wow! That's gorgeous, Brae! I had to look closely, and still couldn't really see that it wasn't a non-mini room.

We have a very tropical stormy afternoon, so I'm inside working through mini kits. Have made a quilt stand, almost done with a canvas beach chair, finished a set of shelves for the yarn store, finished a HOM mirror a previous owner tried to put together. It has some issues, since they used putty and poor judgment, so it will go in with my 'antique shop' items. I have some plant/flower kits from SDK I might start for the greenhouses. Other kits I pulled out: wedding veil, wicker baby/doll carriage, garden room table, picnic table. I'm having fun! Suddenly got very(!!!) dark outside, so the next thunderstorm is about over us. Going for a few flashlights, just in case. Since the library is closed today, I need to go empty the bookdrop this afternoon. We're supposed to have a rain break around 4.

I managed to get motivated enough to measure for the wallpaper! I think I will use a printie chair rail that I reduced from a real site. I don't know why it took me so long to figure out I could do this on my own. :laughbounce: I am getting ideas for my "americana" folk art type decor. Furniture for the most part will have to be homemade but I love stenciling and quilting so I plan to decorate with a lot of that....maybe you won't notice the furniture.

Amazing work Brae!

I like recessed lighting, but I'm concerned about the logistics of replacing the lights after they burn out, so I haven't implemented any yet.

I have the first chimney shaft form built for the attic. It adds an additional 19.5 inches of height and about 2,000 bricks to the chimney. I underestimated the amount of bricks needed to finish this house, so I'll have to order more before the last of them sell out.

Thanks, Jeremy! These are Novalyte LEDs, and are supposed to have a "a typical life expectancy in excess of 50,000 hours of continuous operation and are not affected by shock or vibration." That's according to the website. They are pricier, but the light they give off is amazing...regular lights just don't compare. I like having these in addition to the dollhouse fixtures. They were very simple to install - drill a hole, pop on the finishing ring and feed them through the hole. They wire into the existing 12V system. :laughbounce: Easy peasy.

Thanks, Jeremy! These are Novalyte LEDs, and are supposed to have a "a typical life expectancy in excess of 50,000 hours of continuous operation and are not affected by shock or vibration." That's according to the website. They are pricier, but the light they give off is amazing...regular lights just don't compare. I like having these in addition to the dollhouse fixtures. They were very simple to install - drill a hole, pop on the finishing ring and feed them through the hole. They wire into the existing 12V system. :laughbounce: Easy peasy.

Ooh, I'll have to try that. :wub:

Bank holiday over, spring fling all put away and back to my Garfield lighting problem. I've had to tear off part of the roof, lift the floors and rip off some trim - how depressing but it has taught me such a lot. I will not make the same mistakes again. I thought I had made the junctions easy to access but there are 2 that aren't and guess where the fault is - yes.

Ah well back to demolition. I can understand why people move on to a new project, I have felt like doing that with this one.

Last Friday I visited with a group of friends for a couple of hours...something I do maybe once a year. Since then I've had a sore throat that just won't ease up, and last night I realized I've come down with a summer cold!!! Rats !!! My eyes are running so hard, I can't see clearly. However, before I reached this stage, I did manage to put in a slate floor in Orchid #1. I love the irregularity, and using dry-wall compound, it was easy to score when almost dry. I did have some sanding to do, but the compound is so soft, it's easy enough. I painted a base coat of light blue for the seams (my head is so stuffed up, I can't think straight...can't think of the right term) then a coat of dark blue on the stones, then a dry brush of dark green, finally a wash of black over-all. I'm going to spot test using paste wax, hoping to get a nice soft sheen. But that's going to be later..right now I'm going to go back to bed..coffee first. How come I can't post the emotioncons? I want the green one. Bleh !!! Oh, yeah...this cottage has decided to be a pub! Who knew?

Oh, Patricia, condolences from one who is still battling a summer cold. I hope yours passes quickly!

The floor sounds great. Can't wait to see photos.

And by the way, you did get the yukky green emoticon on your post. :laughbounce:

Told you I can't think straight !!!!! I didn't see it up there...how come some people can put them at the end of their posts? That's where I was looking. Thanks, I appreciate your help. Whew !!! :laughbounce: Whoops ...how'd I do that? I feel like Alice today. :wub: Ha !!! Did it again !!! (now I'm really going to bed.)

Bank holiday over, spring fling all put away and back to my Garfield lighting problem. I've had to tear off part of the roof, lift the floors and rip off some trim - how depressing but it has taught me such a lot. I will not make the same mistakes again. I thought I had made the junctions easy to access but there are 2 that aren't and guess where the fault is - yes.

Ah well back to demolition. I can understand why people move on to a new project, I have felt like doing that with this one.

The Spring Fling may be over, but WOW what a job you did with it. I'm always amazed at the level of imgination and detail that the folks on this thread put into their work. JoMed, Otterine, Jeremy, Holly, Sherry and countless others...I just sit in awe of it sometimes. My thinking is a little too "inside the box".

Granted, I'm just getting started with my mini-ing, but I've got to learn to stretch my thinking a bit more. Your fling piece is fabulous! Otterine's piece was perfect in it's simlicity, and yours...just the opposite - perfect in it's abundance of detail. The workshop, the kitchen, the visitors outside...and the bathroom - OMG, you just know if you went to some far away, off the beaten path place that the toilet would look just like that, right down to the worn toilet seat and the grimied up floors.

For me it seems to always come back to the same question...how long have you been doing this? This kind of expertise does not come overnight or on a first or second or even a third try. How many years have you guys been doing this?

Judith, I'm really pleased you liked my spring fling. I worried that folks might think it was gross (well it is, but its kind of supposed to be) In answer to your question about how long I have been doing this, I decorated a simple doll house for my grandaughter in November 2008, it was a Christmas present. It was already built I just painted it but that little introduction sowed a seed. I started my first house in January 2009, a Garfield, and I'm still building it (am I the world's slowest builder - I may be). The spring fling scared me a bit because I am so slow, I never thought I would finish on time so I went at it like someone demented. I managed to finish in good time and now I am back working on my Garfield.

I don't know about expertise, I think if you have a passion for something just have a go, if its not right try again. That's been my approach.

Got my electrics fixed today (I feel good.... der der der der der der dum, I knew that I would now.......) It meant a bit of demolition work but I'm really relieved that they are working again so I don't mind putting walls and roof sections back together. I look at it this way, it might be better second time around. Can't wait to get this one finished as it will be my first completed doll house - woohoo.

Yea Jo, on getting your lights working!

My husband went to get the truck fixed this morning, had budgeted several hundred dollars for it. Luckily, it just needed a small adjustment of something that the last guy that worked on it had knocked loose, and he didn't charge us! We needed to drive it 100 miles though after that slight adjustment before we could get emissions test done on it, so Brian took me to the closest dollhouse store (45 minutes away) and bought me wallpaper for the Beacon Hill (since we had "extra" money after not paying for a repair)! Now I really have no excuse not to get busy on it...

I have started the baseboards for the Faifields; just the two rooms I've done show me my brain was definitely not working when I debated with myself whether to bother; wow, what a difference!

Baseboards really are a pain, but they add so much to a room once in place. :wub:

Jo - fantastic news on the electrical gremlins. Chase them out...shoo, shoo, shoo!

Congrats on the paper acquisition, Tracy...now hop to it! :laughbounce: We want more eyecandy...

i'm still in fling fallout :D

Now my craft room is done it looks so pretty i dont want to mess it up :wub:

dabbled in a few furniture kits and got the 1/144th beacon out again...managed to finish the base :laughbounce:

Still building the wood form for the 2nd chimney shaft through the attic. Also bought a gallon of Elmer's glue today. I wonder if I'll use all of it on the Tudor? :pcwhack:

A little Flinged out right now but I have a 1/2 scale lighthouse and the HBS contest in the works. Need to figure out where I'm gonna put the Spring Fling building so I have room to work on the other two.

Until I get "unflinged" I need to do some much neglected house cleaning and reorganizing of my many mini items.

I'm working on a vintage Lundby dollhouse. All the divider walls had to be re-glued. That's done now.

Next step will be either new wallpapers or perhaps repainting the trademark trim. The vintage Lundby dollhouses have wooden trim, so the main challenge is to find/mix the right shade of cream white. It might be a better idea to deal with the trim first, and do the new wallpapers after.

For me, Lundby dollhouses are the perfect solution for small apartments. They brilliantly combine a small footprint with generously sized rooms.