What's everyone working on?

THmini2

thanks, Kathryn..I just love that floor!!! Do you mind telling me what kind of paper it is? Since I can't sand very much at all, do you think a patternd paper similar to yours would sort of hide the bumps in the wood? What kind of glue did you use, and did you put it on both the wood and the paper? I'm really impressed with your work. Thanks for the help. Hugs

Patricia, you can print wood or tile flooring and wallpaper on lightweight cardstock and glue that to the floor and walls. Won't matter that they're not sanded. Some of the printies are amazing real to life. :blink:

trying to finish a few knitting projects. Only one is a miniature (a pink lace wt feather and fan afghan on size 0 needles). The pinwheel swirl (non mini) scarf is almost finished. I have a pair of lace socks and a triangular shawl still on needles.

thanks, Kathryn..I just love that floor!!! Do you mind telling me what kind of paper it is? Since I can't sand very much at all, do you think a patternd paper similar to yours would sort of hide the bumps in the wood? What kind of glue did you use, and did you put it on both the wood and the paper? I'm really impressed with your work. Thanks for the help. Hugs

It was scrapbook paper, feels about 80#. I used mod podge on the back and the front of the paper. When it was completely dry it felt like really thin vinyl. Then I coated the floor with mod podge and glued that baby down.

Thank you for the sweet words, it means alot. I usually feel like the redheaded step-miniaturist :blink:

No need to feel like that, Kathryn, your work is just lovely, and I'm so pleased with your suggestions. I am really looking forward to using your method. Paper is easy enough for me to cut...I won't have to hold the sissors too long. In fact I have some scrapbook paper...just haven't used it for anything, because I've been unsure of the method. Boy, you've really made my day!!!!! I'm used to Mod Podge, so this won't be too new...it's an application I hadn't thought of. Sometimes I'm intimidated by new stuff, but I feel confident about using this method. One more question, if you don't mind...I'd like to use this scrapbook paper on the walls...but I don't want shiney...would I Mod Podge just the back and the walls and stick it on like that? I can't thank you enough for your help..I was feeling depressed about the whole thing, and wondered if I just had to accecpt that I have to give up minis, but I don't feel like that anymore!!!! Now I can hardly wait to get started !!!!! Hugs

Patricia, you can print wood or tile flooring and wallpaper on lightweight cardstock and glue that to the floor and walls. Won't matter that they're not sanded. Some of the printies are amazing real to life. :blink:

Thanks, Kathie, that sounds like a great idea. I'm certainly going to try it. Gosh, I feel so much better today...it's great to have all this help...I was ready to give up, and that's not such a good feeling. Don't feel like that anymore, though. Wish I could express my gratitude better..There's not a lot of things I can do nowadays, so the minis mean a lot...I am so happy!!!!!!!Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!!! hugs

Patricia, you're more than welcome! By the way, Modge Podge comes in a matte finish as well as glossy. It has a bit of a sheen to it, but it's not out-and-out shiny. I like it for miniature work because it doesn't show the slight irregularities in the brushstrokes or in the wall itself.

You could also protect the colored side of the wallpaper with a matte finish spray fixative instead of Modge Podge if you want a really dull "wallpaper" finish.

Oh boy have we all felt like that at one time or another! I think your floor is great.

I am working on printie wallpaper and flooring for half scale using my PSP program to size. It really works well for most of the patterns, some of them not as much but I work around them. Papering half scale is really tedious because of the size.

Question, do you cut the tabs that stick out off or sand them off? I am not use to working with tabs and slots.

No need to feel like that, Kathryn, your work is just lovely, and I'm so pleased with your suggestions. I am really looking forward to using your method. Paper is easy enough for me to cut...I won't have to hold the sissors too long. In fact I have some scrapbook paper...just haven't used it for anything, because I've been unsure of the method. Boy, you've really made my day!!!!! I'm used to Mod Podge, so this won't be too new...it's an application I hadn't thought of. Sometimes I'm intimidated by new stuff, but I feel confident about using this method. One more question, if you don't mind...I'd like to use this scrapbook paper on the walls...but I don't want shiney...would I Mod Podge just the back and the walls and stick it on like that?

I also used paper floors on my first house. I glued them down and then used Marine Spar Varnish on them. After 2 coats the floors look fabulous, hard as a rock and shiny as glass. Actually harder than the wood strip floors I put in my second house. Scrap book paper might work beautifully with the varnish but don't use anything else to seal it if you use varnish. Just put the paper down and coat it. I used scrapbook paper on my 2nd house, but didn't use mod podge. I find that a good spray adhesive, I use 3M's Super 77, works best. There are no wrinkles or bubbles and it's very forgiving when you first set it if you don't get it on straight. Just a light coat, and it holds beautifully and helps to stiffen the paper so no wrinkles.

Hi Patricia, looks like you have lots of answers to your question but I'll give my two cents anyway :blink:

You'll want to coat the printed side of your paper too with something, it keeps it cleaner and helps prevent fading. Like the others, I also use a spray sealer for wallpaper (it's a lightweight matte spray, the name escapes me). Unless it is to be bathroom wallpaper, then I just mod podge away. I figure I can get away with it in there. I stay away from the heavy duty vanishes and sprays because of my allergies, so I can't say how that approach works.

Papering half scale is really tedious because of the size.

Question, do you cut the tabs that stick out off or sand them off? I am not use to working with tabs and slots.

I love wallpapering in 1/2" scale! Less paper and area for me to screw up :blink: .

Re: the tabs, do you mean the interior ones? Do they bump out from the wall or something like that? If they stick out just a little, then I would sand. If they stick out alot then I would wonder if that piece actually went there.

I had that problem with the Fairfield, but with the Buttercup, it is the opposite. The tabs are recessed a bit making little divots in the wall so I putty them up.

Hi Patricia, looks like you have lots of answers to your question but I'll give my two cents anyway :blink:

You'll want to coat the printed side of your paper too with something, it keeps it cleaner and helps prevent fading. Like the others, I also use a spray sealer for wallpaper (it's a lightweight matte spray, the name escapes me). Unless it is to be bathroom wallpaper, then I just mod podge away. I figure I can get away with it in there. I stay away from the heavy duty vanishes and sprays because of my allergies, so I can't say how that approach works.

Thanks, Cat...the more the merrier !!!!! It's great to get all these tips, and to know I'm still able to play. Since I'm in Canada, sometimes the brand names aren't sold here, so that part's not so important. I feel so good, now !!!! La, la, la, la (dancing around the room)!! (In my head, that is)

Roxy, if you have trouble fitting the tabs into the slots, they may need a tiny trim on the ends with a sharp blade. Sometimes they fit like a glove, othertimes they need a little help! :blink:

It was scrapbook paper, feels about 80#. I used mod podge on the back and the front of the paper. When it was completely dry it felt like really thin vinyl. Then I coated the floor with mod podge and glued that baby down.

Thank you for the sweet words, it means alot. I usually feel like the redheaded step-miniaturist :blink:

I'm wondering could you use this method on a template so it can be removed if needed? I'm trying to do all of my flooring on templates so it will be easier to get at my wiring if anything should go wrong.

I'm wondering could you use this method on a template so it can be removed if needed? I'm trying to do all of my flooring on templates so it will be easier to get at my wiring if anything should go wrong.

Sure. I used simple manila file folders for the template for my farmhouse floor. It cuts easily, is easily glued down, was light enough and very bendable for installation or removal, but still heavy enough to hold it's shape - even after it was varnished. (Pics in my farmhouse gallery).

Sure. I used simple manila file folders for the template for my farmhouse floor. It cuts easily, is easily glued down, was light enough and very bendable for installation or removal, but still heavy enough to hold it's shape - even after it was varnished. (Pics in my farmhouse gallery).

Thanks Judith, I'm going to try this for my bathroom and kitchen floors!!

Well I found out I was trying to put the wrong piece in the slot so the right one fits perfect! ;)

I bought a whole new pack of sand paper and did a lot of sanding before I try to cut anything off that shouldn't be cut. :p

Finally got back from Orlando. EPCOT was better than I remembered. I took lots of pictures of the buildings. Serious eye candy and inspiration for future projects. My wife lost her glasses at the beach on Wednesday, so instead of going to Universal Studios we spent the day getting her a replacement pair. As soon as I get the software for the digital camera installed I'll some of them online.

as I started organizing my mini stuff, I came across a roombox I bought at a yard sale a few years ago. The wallpaper inside was really not pretty, but I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to go with it so I just stored it rather than change anything. Today I stripped what was loose and re-papered with some scraps of a pretty floral I had left from the Lincoln house. The wood floor isn't very well done, but not awful so I'll live with it. This is a simple deep box that opens in front with a sliding front wall that has a bay window. Anyway, until I have the old Newberg 'Emporium' project finished, I think this box will become the yarn store.

Dropped by Home Depot and got the barbecue gift box. It is a cutie. Need to get back on the English Cottage but I am really wiped out today. Did get all of the windows done with Gallery Glass which I finally found on line. Will have to redo the "glazing" on one since the film popped.

I'm back to working on my Victorianna, especially since it was mentioned in the newsletter. That was certainly motivating in a OMG panic sort of way.

I'm having trouble visualizing that third floor. Once I figured I wanted the bathroom up there, that side of things went swiftly. I'm leaning towards a laundry room and a generic "justa room" for the rest of the space.

Templates? I tried those on the Beaconhill and it was a disaster, but when I use them on smaller scale projects everything goes smoothly. I think I need to stay away from 1" scale. It gives me bad Karma.