ASPCA commercial

Just One More

There's a new commercial for the ASPCA with Sarah McLaughlin singing her song "In the arms of the angels." It makes you want to go and adopt a couple of dogs and another cat. I already have three cats or I would. It makes you want to cry how many homeless animals there are. It's one of the saddest things I've seen. I don't have much money for charity but they will be tops on my list.

It's times like this that Im very glad I don't have TV. I cry too easy over animals and commercials about them. I once wanted to be a dog catcher here in town and turned the job down because I knew I would be bringing them all home.

Wolfie

Hate to say this but I hope I don't see it! That song on it's own makes me cry and all those poor unfortunate animals -- too much! There's another commercial that just tugs at my heart, too -- think it's an IAMS commercial -- where they show the dog in the pound wondering how he got there (cause he's a good dog who just wants to go home). Wish I could adopt all of them!

The one tv program that I do watch most evenings is Larry King. This commercial has been played every evening on that show for the past month or so. I always tear up when I hear the song.

I'd love to adopt another cat, but my 2 girls just won't have another cat in the house.

-Susanne

They always seem to show that commercial at night on cable channels (tnt, bravo, etc). I dont like it. It reminds me of those commercials of the kids walking in the dirt while the guy tells you to forgo your daily cup of coffee to feed them. Fred said once that he didnt like the fact that the guy is letting the kid walk in the muck..pick her up for gosh sakes!

I am not hard hearted (as you all know) but I just dont like it. The other one I dont like uses that animal control officer from those animal planet shows in NYC. Have you seen those?

I take care of my animals and dont want to be reminded that other people can be so cruel and callous.

Just my two cents.

That ad is a serious tear jerker, especially late at night. I actually pretty much hate this ad as I think it encourages well meaning but impulsive people to adopt pets that they will not be able to care for in the long run.

Remember that you do not do an animal a favor by adopting it if you already have to many to give another one proper attention. We have a SMALL in home rescue and we are FULL. It is hard to say no when people call us, but it is the right thing to do for the sake of the animals we have here already (and for our sanity!).

Currently we have seven dogs and 8 cats and 11 kittens, including 2 that are being bottle fed. We also have two other abandoned dogs trapped by animal control in foster care that we pay expenses for. They arrive injured so I could not take them to the shelter as planned. Their non life threatening the injuries would not have been treated at our shelter but I knew they would not be adoptable with injuries.

Two of the dogs have found home but need training and another (the one that had her leg amputated last week) is just waiting for stitches to come out so she can go to her new family. The orphaned kittens go back to the shelter when they are 8 weeks old for adoption, but I usually come back home with replacements. If the kittens are not adopted I usually go back and pull them for rescue before they get to death row. I do not know how I will find homes for so many cats. Why don't people spent the $19.00 is costs to have a cat spayed?

As far as the HS of NY ads, I agree with you Heidi. Do you have any ideal how much money those ads collect for HS of NY? Also while on the subject HS of NY is a shelter. It is NOT the same organization as HU of America, a national organization, which is a spokes group for shelter care advocacy. Shelters with the words Humane Society in their names are not affiliated to HU of NYC either. Neither the ASPCA or the HSA use their donations to CARE for animals, so if you want your money to go to animal care give it to your local shelter. Believe me, they need it more than you can imagine.

Sorry if I got preachy or off on a rant, this is a subject near my heart.

Neither the ASPCA or the HSA use their donations to CARE for animals, so if you want your money to go to animal care give it to your local shelter. See my above post for more info on this. Thanks!

It's also important to spay and neuter our dogs and cats! :wave: That's the least we can do. Too many animals get euthanized because there are simply no homes for them. That tears at my heart :banana:

Neither the ASPCA or the HSA use their donations to CARE for animals, so if you want your money to go to animal care give it to your local shelter. See my above post for more info on this. Thanks!

What is the money used for? I thought the ASPCA was a reputable organization. It's one of the oldest in the country. I guess you just never know where any of this money goes, but if the ASPCA can't be trusted I don't know what to think.

The people I got my new kitty from had two mother cats who each had six kittens. I could only take one. By now the mother cats are probably producing new litters. People who are this irresponsible will not be influenced by anything short of a heavy fine for each animal not licensed and spayed or neutered. I have the three cats now. Two just love eachother. Nell, the oldest. is at least tolerating the other two now. They never go outside. Three takes no more time than one. They don't eat that much and the lcat itter is so improved now you would never know there were cats here. The hair is another story. Oh well.

ASPCA is a completly reliable and reputable organization. I just wanted people to understand where the money goes. It is basically a politica lobbing grouip. It does help shelter animals indirectly but my proble is that they do not go out of their way to explain this. Honestly, progress in animal right legslation is very slow and there is so much money needed to support direct care for injured and unwanted animals that goes to HSA or ASPCA because people do not know the purpose of each organization.

Here in Decatur there is the Humane Society, Homeward bound and another one run by the County. They are all well known and I guess people think the ASPCA is involved at least with the Humane Society and the County run one. No matter what though, we all end up paying for the irresponsibility of those who just don't care. It's really hard to see these animals that will never find homes. I admire you for doing so much. I have thought of just buying an extra bag of food and bringing it to the shelter when I buy for my kitties. :wave:

I havent seen that commercial, and I am glad. I burst into tears when I see any animal suffer, I mean I would make my dad stop the car as a kid so we could move a turtle across the road, still do when I get a safe chance :wave:. Its funny, I get more heart sick over animals most of the time than people. I wont let anyone even watch Animal Planet at my house, unless its Merkat Manor or something like that....I cant stand it...my stomach does flips and I want to rush out and adopt another dog or four. Thanks for the info on ASPCA and HSA and the money deal, I will donate supplies or give directly to them in the future.

Most shelters will take unopened food from anyone and even opened bags from people they already work with.

For those on tight budgets, donate worn towels, blankets, squares cut out of old cotton tees and left over (unopened) bandages are all welcome. As are toys you dog or cat have tired of. Crates of all sizes for major rescues, like hoarder raids, leashes and collars found at yard sales too. Shelters here do not accept cat litter as they used pine chips that can be composted, but call your local shelter to find out what they need right now.

Every dollar a shelter saves with donations is a dollar they can spend to expand and reduce their kill rate.

The NYC shelter is supported by an endowment, meaning they have all the money they need to run, this is why NYC is one of the few cities in the US that have Animal police. It is an awesome organization that I have worked with many times. However any shelter can use the words ASPCA or Humane Society, but none are affiliated with the national organization or the NYC shelter in anyway. In a way this is tragic because so many people think their donations will benefit their local shelter. Again I have no issue with either national organization and donate to ASPCA, I just wish the organization(s) would do more to explain all of this. Alas it work for them, not against them, so why should they?

My main rescue issue is puppy mills - these are large "professional" breeders that breed 100's of dog at once for profit. Many with a complete disregard for the breeding animals them selves or soundness of the puppies they breed. In these enterprises puppies are viewed as crops, just like corn or wheat. I rescue mainly the worn out females after they have liven in small cages and been breed 5-6 times in 3 years. It is HARD and very sad work. Nothing done to these dogs is illegal and the professional breeders are a strong lobby force. The ASPCA, HSA and the AKC have done very little to protect these dogs. It is estimated that in some states 80% of fur pets are born in puppy mills. If you have questions or want to learn more about puppy mills please visit us at NOPUPPYMILLS.com. or prisonersofgreed.comMeanwhile do not buy a pet form a Pet store, NEVER. Tell your friends and family not to either. Go to reputable breeder for a puppy or a rescue or shelter for older dogs (though of course they have puppies as well!). If no one buys for a broker or pet store then puppy mill breeders will move on to another crop.

I am happy to have this opportunity to share non dollhouse information with all of you. Feel free to re post or email this post in whole or part. Thanks, Agnes

I can't watch that comercial either. Makes me sad :p

I wish it only cost $19.00 to have a cat spayed here. It cost me over $100 Each to spay my 3 females and about 80 for my male. But I have all 4 cats fixed.

I can't watch that comercial either. Makes me sad :p

I wish it only cost $19.00 to have a cat spayed here. It cost me over $100 Each to spay my 3 females and about 80 for my male. But I have all 4 cats fixed.

My first two cats were already spayed as I got them through a shelter. The third one I got free and she had no shots, no nothing so I took her to our vet and they said for a years policy at $21.99 a month she would get all her shots, spayed, and anything else that could go wrong is covered. After the year you can cancel. Spaying here is $100 plus anesthesia, etc. For the first year with a kitten it's a good deal.

To me, if that commercial gets to any of these people who just let their pets breed every six months and it wakes then up, then I think it's OK. My kitten came from two litters totally 12 at the same house. I kept thinking of all the cute kittens I couldn't take and it really got to me that people can be so irresponsible.