The Orchid

Hi all, I am assembling but not decorating an Orchid for a friend of mine. She wants it completely put together but not painted or anything. She wants to do all of that herself. My question is how should I handle the windows and trim so it is easy for her to paint later? She has never had a dollhouse and I don't want her to get discouraged by trim woes. I thought about going ahead and finishing the windows in white but I don't know. Does my question make sense? It's hard to put into words what I am getting at. :blink:

That's a good question, because the Orchid's double-hung windows require a little bit of assembly. If it were me I'd just leave the trim on the sheets and give it to her with the house to let her deal with it.

because the Orchid's double-hung windows require a little bit of assembly. If it were me I'd just leave the trim on the sheets and give it to her with the house to let her deal with it.

I agree part of the decorating is the window trims inside and out.

I would put one together without glue use the sticky wax

to show her how they go. because she may want to stain the inside trim.

what a neat gift to do with your friend.

I am doing one with my sis in law...the one who helped with my Haunted House display.

nutti :blink:

Is the tacky wax the best way to temporarily affix the windows to the house? I'm just worried that if I were to just leave the trim off for her to do, then she'll just leave it and never finish the house. She can get discouraged very easily if someone isn't right with her to talk her through it. However, if I did a temporary assemblage, then she could see how they went together without getting over-whelmed.

How about priming the window trim and then making a play date with her when the windows are ready to go in? That way she could decorate and when she's ready you could go on over and help her with the windows. I think both of you would enjoy the company working on the dollhouse together and it would make it much more special! :lol:

It would be great to get together but our schedules are so different, it's near impossible. Maybe we'll both have some time come January, so that might be a possibility. :D

I have the shell together and I am at a point where I need to read the directions. I hate reading directions :blink: so construction has been stalled for the moment. ;)

I have primed most of the house pieces (not trim) and the house is going together like a dream. There was a wee bit of warping but that has straightened itself out.

As long as those instructions don't have math in them, I'll be okay!! I'm a stickler for details so instructions are my saving grace!! :blink: Although, I wonder how that's going to work doing a bash? Hmmmm . . .

I read my instructions atleast 100 times and then look at the peices talk to myself a bit LOL. As for where bashing goes I write myself little nots all over the instructions lol.

Lyn :blink:

Well ya know, the porch has about 50 pieces and since this isn't a halloween house, I kinda need to reference the directions. Otherwise it will LOOK like a halloween house.

I made the mistake of thinking about working on the house, and now I have a cat sitting in my lap. <_< She seems to believe that she's being helpful. :rolleyes:

I would sugest not adding the roof trim for sure. No matter how great it's packed it will break. I have had several customers tell it broke off so I would absolutely not add the roof trim. The other parts I would just do as the others said (Use the tape).

:rolleyes:

This is a cute house for sure! I LOVE the window & porch design!

Thanks, Lyn! I'll have to remember to write notes to myself for the bashing! It seems I'm getting older by the minute . . . I'm forgetting things as soon as I think of them! Yikes!! :rolleyes:

well poster tack is blue and can be found at Wal-marts in the office products section. its like clay but is tacky. it is used in place of tacks for posters and things. we use it to put and keep small items in their place or to temperarily put something up we may want to change later...like pictures

the waxy tack is ina small round container and does the same thing

I personally do not like how it feels on my hands when using it but it does work well.

can be found online. I got mine from Hobby Lobby in the miniature section.

some say if left for a long time the blue poster tack leaves a residue.

havent had that experience yet but I am fairly new to Miniatures.

just 3 yrs so far so maybe the stuff I taked up hasnt been there long enough.

I hope that helps!

nutti :rolleyes: