7/3/07 VHS or DVD

• 2 weeks later...

I own both a dvd player and a vcr...as far as buying movies...well....if I were going to buy one (and that is not a likely possibility), it would probably be on dvd (can one still buy movies on tape??). I do not usually buy movies...I used to, but discovered that once I have seen them...they tend to sit on a shelf and gather dust...I do however belong to netflix, so if there is a movie I want to see again, I will just put it in my queue, so there really isn't a good reason to buy it...

This is 2007, is that really a question? VHS is a significant part of history, but I don't want a steam powered car either. :wub:

LOL, for us it is DVDs all through, we do own a VHS machine and it sits upstairs in a box in the closet just in case we might need it :giggle: but it is very unlikley though, we do have a HD dvd player and the computer hooked up to the tv system as well so prepared for blue ray depending on which system that catches on the most. HUbby is an avid movie-ist so he collects the films he enjoys the most and some we buy just becuase thye are "cute" :wave:

Hugs

• 2 weeks later...
LOL, for us it is DVDs all through, we do own a VHS machine and it sits upstairs in a box in the closet just in case we might need it :p but it is very unlikley though, we do have a HD dvd player and the computer hooked up to the tv system as well so prepared for blue ray depending on which system that catches on the most. HUbby is an avid movie-ist so he collects the films he enjoys the most and some we buy just becuase thye are "cute" ;)

Hugs

Amen! Though with our DVD collection, has to be well over a thou, we'll go with a scaling DVD player. No desire to replace all those discs.

I'd be cautious about blueray, same platform as the PS3. Backward compatibility has been more than a little issue for these guys. I personally like sound.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

we bought an HDTV and a blue ray player and the difference is unbelievable so we stopped buying regular DVD's. the regular DVD's aren't made for wide screen TV's so they look squished on the screen, yeah I know it sounds funny but it's true.

that's why regular DVD's are going down in price, they want to trick you into buying them knowing that when people upgrade to HDTV they will want the better quality DVD's too! my grandchildren won't know what a video tape is just like my kids didn't know what an 8 track player is! by the way..I still have my 8 track player and it still works great! lol!

I have both a VCR and A DVD player. Some of the movies DH wants haven't been transfered to DVD's yet, so I'll buy the VHS tape occasionally. If we rent a movie it's usually DVD. VCR'S are still sold at the WalMart here for $39.00.

• 1 month later...

both. most are dvd now. had a lot of vhs with movies i taped from tv but after 10 years they seem to get weak or something and they break. you can store 2 dvd where 1 vhs sits. with over 200 movies it takes a lot of space so i save that with dvds :yes:

• 1 month later...

We have both dvd and vhs. andrew hates vhs so he won't watch them but i still have a vhs collection and i still watch them although i prefer dvd. when my vhs eventually dies i'll get rid of the tapes. I just bought a scaling dvd player, mostly because it was region free, but maybe in the next year or so i'll upgrade and get an hd tv.

All my tvs are now HD. I have WAY too many dvds to worry about switching to blue ray. I have been told to get a couple of regular dvd players and put them away. Right now the new blue ray players will play the regular dvds but in the future, they won't. With 3000 dvds, I would be bummed to not have any way to watch them.

DVD and Blu Ray all the way. I replaced most of my VHS a long time ago. I still have the tapes but the VCR is in a box in the basement. I am not replacing ym DVD's for blu rays though because the older movies it does not make much difference. But my Blu ray player plays DVD's so I am not worried. With the movie companies supporting Blu Ray, the HD, Blu Ray format war is over, and I actually picked the right one this time. Last time my family bought a Beta VCR and did not bother with VHS until Beta finally went completely obsolete. But from what I have been reading Blu Ray is losing to upscale DVD players so maybe I did not pick the right one.

We have been buying DVD's for quite awhile now. We have probably 150 DVD's....about 500 VHS movies.

At Christmas we bought a new widescreen TV, DVD player..then as an afterthought my husband went back to the store and bought a DVD/VHS combo, too. Our VHS player was on its last legs, and you can't get them anymore, so he figured it wouldn't hurt to get the combo as well.

I have to say, I much prefer the DVD's...not only ease of storage, but the wonderful picture and ease of navigating the DVD.

I figure one of these days, a movie will be the size of a thumb drive or less...just plug it into the tv. Probably be able to store 1000 movies in a cigar sized box.

I have a combl VHS/DVD machine in the family room and the older separate DVD and VHS in the bedroom. No HD TV yet but my PS3 system will playback Bluray if needed before I get a dedicated BluRay machine. I love the SONY outlet for goodies.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
No HD TV yet but my PS3 system will playback Bluray if needed before I get a dedicated BluRay machine

Be careful playing blu ray movies on the PS3. Right on the box it says that other media other then PS3 games might destroy the machine. I know that Sony says it will play them but it will wear the laser out a lot earlier then if you were just playing games. That is why we have a seperate blu ray player and a PS3.

No HD TV yet but my PS3 system will playback Bluray if needed before I get a dedicated BluRay machine

Be careful playing blu ray movies on the PS3. Right on the box it says that other media other then PS3 games might destroy the machine. I know that Sony says it will play them but it will wear the laser out a lot earlier then if you were just playing games. That is why we have a seperate blu ray player and a PS3.

If you can't find the "delete" button at the left end of the buttons in the bottom righthand corner of your post, you can PM an admin to remove the duplicate for you.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been sold on DVDs since they came out! They are a great visual research tool! As a costumer, one is always trying to recreate things down to the smallest detail. I can go frame by frame, zoom X4, and pan within the frame. Some details can only be seen for a fraction of a second. You can look to your hearts content!

This does have application to creating anything in minis!