10/26/05 Family & Dollhouses

Minis On The Edge

I personally don't have any family or friends that are into miniatures (except your wonderful ones I met here online) and was wondering do any of you have family that are involved with miniatures? Who was involoved first, you or them? What was your most weird reaction from a non-mini person when they discovered you "Play with dollhouses" . :p

It's funny that lost of my friends think I play with dollhouses all day long and when they actually "see" them then I get ohhs and ahhs. My most weird reaction was no reaction at all, the person looked at my house and looked at me and said nothing at all. It was an akward moment :blink: . I often wonder what was on there mind that made them decide not to speak :p:D .

I often wonder what was on there mind that made them decide not to speak

Tracy, they were probably in "awe" and were speechless!! I have one friend who came over one time to visit and she just looked at the house with her mouth open and her hand over it. That was worth a thousand words! :D

I don't have family or friends (except the ones here :D ) who are into miniatures. My best girlfriend, who visited in September, was VERY supportive though and smiled and nodded when I went about babbling about everything I'd done! :o Tracy, you met her at the Chicago mini-show!

I tell my sisters about what I'm doing and they just 'poo poo' me! Some people just don't get it!! ;) I feel sorry for them! :D

My most weird reaction was no reaction at all, the person looked at my house and looked at me and said nothing at all. It was an akward moment  .

That's funny. One of our friends only rolls his eyes when he comes over. :o

I don't think that there is anyone else in my family who does miniatures. I didn't really know that people actually turned it into a hobby untill I found this board. Now I don't feel so silly! My sister has an old shabby handmade house that she found in a garage sale. She keeps it on the top of her pantry in her kitchen just as a decoration. I keep trying to inspire her to get it down and fix it up, but she doesn't seem to have any interest in doing so. She has three sons and no daughters so she feels she has no real reason to fix it. She just doesn't understand that dollhouses are for grown up girls, too! :D

My weirdest reaction.. hmm - probably when I'm out and someone asks "what are you going to use that for?" and I tell them depending on what it is "I make dollhouses" or "I make scale figures".. which of course I have to explain cause I get that blank deer in the head lights look at the term"scale figures" .. "..you know.. dolls.. dollhouse dolls" and that blank look changes just slightly to one of.. yea ok let's stay away from this guy.. he plays with dolls. lol - no one has said that yet but you can see them start to back away slowly lol! Occasionally I do get the opposite reaction though of wow that's so cool I always wanted to make a dollhouse or Oh I make dolls too!! (usually bigger kind and I've not yet run accross another man <in person> who'll admit it :o )

No one in my family was interrested in miniatures - most though I'd lost my mind till I showed them some of the great miniature stuff out there.. of course I have an aunt who thought I'd lost my mind After I showed her some of the cool miniature stuff out there LOL - but they're a pretty accepting bunch - except my dad who no longer asks any of those questions like "what are you doing" or "what are you going ot use that for" he just assumes it's something he doesn't want to know about. My sister however is starting to pick up the bug from me.. she's decorated a few pieces of mini furniture and has started making ACEO's (finally she's working on ACEO2's - a smaller size that will actually work much better in 1:12 scale houses) and she's starting to show some interrest in building.

-David

None of my family is into miniatures, except for those family members that I have given a dollhouse to. I have a friend that I gave a Laurel too, and she built it herself and loves it! I recently gave my Allison to my next door neighbor ...

The weirdest reaction that I get is "that look" when you tell them you do dollhouse stuff ...

I mentioned one time before that a male friend came over and when I showed him the house I was working on, he smiled and said "hmmm, going through your second childhood?" I just told him that I'd always been a child at heart.

My daughter had no interest at all in dollhouses but it's funny, now that she has her own girl, all of a sudden now I have to build one for my granddaughter.

But everytime I do something new or make something for one of the houses, I make sure both her and my husband hear all about it. I force them to sit down and take notice!!

Wendy

My best girl-friend (I know her since I'm 6) also loves dollhouses and she has one too. My mom has some dolls but no dollhouse, there's noone else in my family who's into minis. Most of my friends don't know that I'm collecting miniatures - maybe they think I'm just keeping my old toys. :o

The weirdest reaction was when another girl-friend came into my room the first time, looked at my vitrine and asked, " Is this your mother's dollhouse?" and I said no ... ;)

Most people are also astonished when they see my 1:1 house the first time cause they don't expect me to have such a romatic home! :D Even my best male friend (who is a very cool person! :D ) thinks that my house looks, "soooo cute"! Too funny!

I don't have any family members who are interested in dollhouses--they think I am nuts!! When we go on vacation, they "let" me spend some time in one of my favorite mini shops, but I always feel rushed! (I would like to spend a couple hours, not 30 minutes!!) If it wasn't 4 hours away, I would just go by myself!!

Tracey, you're right. Some people just don't get it....

I've had many weird reactions when I tell people this is my business, and hobby. One of Chris' friends he introduced me to when we met at the store while shopping was interested, and said, what kind of business? and Chris said, well, we go to dollhouse & miniature shows...and have a website--and he looked at my husband and said, 'so you make money doing that?' I shook my head and walked away........

My mother started me in dollhouses when I was quite small, and later my first 1 inch scale house was built by my father. Before that it was Barbie, Dawns, etc. I started my own stepdaughter into it when she was seven, and we haven't looked back.......my aunt and grandmother love it too, and are always interested in it. I get alot of oohs and ahs when people come over to the house to visit, and that right there is what says it all......... :o

I have one close miniature club member who I mini with, and we are always coming up with new projects, etc. She too, fell into doing work in miniatures with special themed dome projects, or memory vignettes. The most enthusiasm I have had, believe it or not, is the railroaders all about here........and they're men! They love any kind of models, and I have received more support from model railroaders than women, believe it or not. Also, great tips! :D

I have one family member involved and a would-be! I got my brother involved and he is now busily building/finishing the house I gave him. I am trying to get him to come here and join the fun. The other would-be is my granddaughter -- she wants to have a dh painting day where she can help Uh oh!! LOL She's only 4 but there's still lots of time to work on her.

The response I usually get is "another one?????"

Debbie

I also know no one else who is into miniatures.

I make the family suffer through each teeny tiny thing I do!

Dean and Catriona are really nice about making me feel like they care...

I think most people that know I do this tend to think I play and its not work.

and although I enjoy it...it is most definatly work!

specially the punching, sanding and priming of all those trim peices :o

My sister in law in Alabama is now into miniatures because of me and her mom

and my SIL here really enjoys comming and working with me on some of my things. but mostly I am on my own.

well I have all my onlines friends now so I never feel lonely in my miniature addiction.

nutti :D

They love any kind of models, and I have received more support from model railroaders than women, believe it or not. Also, great tips!

This is very true! I know several model railroad enthusiasts and they completely understand the miniature hobby. They also are full of encouragement and valuable tips when it comes to scenery.

Hey Debbie!

Good for you for getting your brother involved! :D My best friend when I was growing up had a dollhouse.. actually her mother had it and it was made by her grandad (unfortunately it went to another sister and left the family)- well now her son (18 yrs old) has decided he needs to build that same dollhouse for his mom - It's nice to see more young folks and men starting in the hobby :o

-David

My step-brother is into model railroading, but that's the extent of my family being involved. My dad "used" to build small scale boats, but not anymore. My dad also used to tell me as a kid, "Someday, I'd like for us to build a dollhouse toether." Well, that day never came, but I didn't let that stop me, obviously. :D Poo poo on dad! He doesn't even know that I've done much more than build a dollhouse...if he knew I had a website and forum dedicated to the entire hobby, he'd probably flip. But since we're not on speaking terms at the moment (another drama within itself)...... :o

TeeHee! My husband and I often compare our "family of origin" problems and try to decifer who has the most messed up family. But he soesn't know all of my family's secrets - so I guess I'm cheating! :D Actually, I'm pretty sure I don't know everything about his father, though! So I guess we're both holding back some craziness. :o

My great-aunt is the one that introduced me to miniatures when I was younger. She lives on the other side of the country so I don't get to see her very often though. She and her husband used to build all the houses and furniture from scratch before he passed away. I don't know if she still builds or collects minis now. My mom thinks the dollhouses are neat, but the rest of my family just doesn't understand. I've gotten my husband involved in the building though and that is great. He's building a log cabin on his own now.

DH & I built a "scratch" house for DGD and then he decided enough was enough, but he let me get my first kit (which I also built for the then older same DGD; she is now a young lady about to graduate high school & never mentions dhs or minis the few times I ever hear from her), and he is tremendously supportive. DS#2 & his SO went with us to see the Washington Dollhouse & Toy Museum (which is no more) & didn't say much, but when we were there last year they took me to Miniatures in the Attic and they both flipped out ("This is what you do, Mom?") & now his lady wants to get started.

Nobody around me does miniature dollhouses...but...my hubby does make miniature tanks and armor. It takes a lot of convincing that NO I don't need a Panzer I tank in the yard of my dollhouse. He's lucky he got to put a man of armor in my store....geez...what can he be thinking?

:o Hi:

Well most of our friends are not into dollhouse or miniature, some are into HO scale trains,(which I am into also) and the others just have different tastes which are different than ours, but they all agree that my dollhouses are great looking. I had a neighbor tell me I could do that, bought a house for his wife, started it and I finished for her, finally told me thank you cause he didn't have the patients or the know-how to finish it and it was much harder than he had thought. My wife helps me with picking the colors (I'm coclor blind) carpet and wall paper. My son on ocassion helps me with making the larger pieces that we sell such as the garage and the wooden deck. Most of our friends want to be shrunk and live in the houses.

you know.. dolls.. dollhouse dolls" and that blank look changes just slightly to one of.. yea ok let's stay away from this guy.. he plays with dolls.  lol - no one has said that yet but you can see them start to back away slowly lol!        -David

<cackle> And that's when you give them a crazy laugh just to watch them cut and run? hehehehehee I get the same kind of reaction when I look up from my needlework and tell people that to relax, I like to shoot guns.

The people who know that side of me are kinda confused about my new hobby/obsession with mini's. One of them is a carpenter and I enlightened him this weekend by showing him that a mini house would open up a new world with his woodworking skills. With a little more time, I think I can convert him. I know his wife would sure love a mini house!

Deb

LOL Deb ;)

Now see in my family it would be the shooting guns to relax that would be normal and the needle point that would make them worry! :D

Seriously Dad is into Skeet shooting and just won a buckle in his age division (seniors)- he was the oldest shooter at the competition and the next high scorer was 15 years younger than him - pop is 75. ;)

-David

Congratulations going out to your dad, David! Anything that a person enjoys to keep them "young at heart"!!

Can anyone tell me . . . my nephews are coming next summer, ages 12 and 9, and I'd like to have them build something because they are both into crafts. I'm wondering, which log cabin would be a good starter home for them? Thanks!!

The boys may enjoy a barn!...My nephew has a collection of Ertel (sp?) John Deere tractors (1:16 scale), and I have thought about building a barn for him, but since it would be from scratch, I haven't actually gotten around to it (kits are much easier!!) I offered to get him a cabin kit, but I think he thought it was too "girlish!"--he is 12 going on 25!

Tappy

Boys might enjoy a castle or a fort or even a treehouse or a mini gas station. I remember having one as a little girl when I received my dollhouse....that was Daddy--he's the one that would give me trains and cars and the mini gas station. :D I still wish I had it- it was one of those metal 60's models that were so popular back then.

My family, current, is into the dollhouses, etc. I guess my grandfather and father started it too--I had a small playhouse as a child built by grandfather, and it was great fun to play in. Then my father built my dollhouse. So in one way or another, have always been involved with minis, of all different scales.

Today was my mom's birthday--I gave her a Buttercup that I had done a few years ago, and she was thrilled! She had given her Rutherford to Amanda when Amanda turned eight, but she loves the little houses, as I do. She's got a wonderful collection of Heidi Ott dolls.