10/25/05 Dollhouses

Minis On The Edge

My favorite movie is "Gone With the Wind". As of yet, it hasn't influenced anything I have done with my dh. Although, have a Colonial that I thought might work as a Civil War-era house. Would love to do something like Tara.

Debbie

My favorite movies are from Jane Austen . . . Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility. I have been thinking about doing a house in the Regency period, but nothing has come of it yet! :blink: It influences me because I like the soft romantic look. I hope I'm achieving that in my Beacon Hill! :p

I also like 'Under the Tuscan Sun'. A little more modern but with an old world feel. Love the villa she bought in the movie!! Bramasole!!

Favorite movies........well, I would have to say, Gone with the Wind, Titanic, and Age of Innocence....they are all set in romantic eras, and great story lines. Also the Agatha Christie movies that had Peter Ustinoff in them, and the Miss Marple movies were also good. BBC had a wonderful Miss Marple.

I guess that would be the only movie that has influenced this little house, Miss Marple movies and books w/ that character by Agatha Christie. Oh, Rebecca is a favorite by Daphne Du Maurier? that I read in high school, got a kick of how creepy it was.

I don't have "a" favorite book or movie, although Peter Jackson rendered three of my faorite books into beautiful movies which haven't influenced my minis at all. My favorite author happens to be one of my best friends from shcool days, Lucia St Clair Robson, and I've just started her newest book, Shadow Patriots, which is getting me all inspred to try Georgian/ Colonial.

Fave movie(s), The Usual Suspects, Steel Magnolias, The Thin Man Series, Life With Father. I'd say Life With Father influenced my interest of Victorian dollhouses.

Fave book(s) are The Mitford Books which influenced my interest in having an absolute blast on my Duracraft Farmhouse 505! Of course, that's after I finish the Pierce for my girlfriend! :blink:

Lynne

My favorite books are the Harry Potter series, also. So far, I've only made a miniature HP book for my dollhouses. However, I would really love to turn a Harrison into a Three Broomsticks. One of these days... :blink:

I'm not sure what my favorite movie would be. I recently watched Ordinary People for one of my classes and really liked it.

I love the movies from the 30's and 40's...Judy Garland, Errol Flynn, Frankie, Fred and Ginger, Greer Garson. Just saw a movie not long ago, "Random Harvest"..one of the best I'd seen for a while. Inspired me to do something with the house they used...not the fancy big mansion, but the little cottage just over the creek bridge! Influenced me enough to grab a camera and take a picture of the tv screen! My Greenleaf Pierce is loosely based on "Meet Me in St. Louis" I custom made the front doors to be pretty close to the interior ones in the movie. The exterior is painted with similiar colors and I am also making dolls to resemble Rose and Ester. Please take a look at my work I have done so far...so many of you have also helped me and don't even know it! :blink: Keep in mind when viewing, there is still more to be done and hundreds of little touches not even in there yet!

http://Community.webshots.com/user/foreverchristmas1904

I forgot to mention what I like. My Favorite movie & book is the Count Of Monte Cristo.

I Love to read Books about knights and shining armor or anything to do with castles so I have read about 20 of Jude Deveraux books.

So far, I have a tower in the works and it reminds me of certain settings in the book The Velvet Promise by Jude Deveraux.

I read more books than I watch TV and so far only the tower has been inspired by a book.

:blink:

Tracey, you might have already read them, but you sound like a Jean Plaidy/ Victoria Holt kind of a girl. I have a large collection of these historical novels, and the best part is the description of the castles, medieval life, from the Plantagenets to the Tudors to the Stuarts........you actually see the clothes, smell the food, and live in the castles or manors with historical figures, the way she writes.

Lord of the Far Isle is by Victoria Holt, you might enjoy that book, great storyline, about a rags to riches heiress who doesn't know she's rich, inherits a castle, etc.

Reading everyone's posts I remembered that when I had my own dollhouse as a little girl I was very influenced by Frances Hodgson Burnett's Little Princess and the Secret Garden.........I remember acting out the story line with my dolls. I think Amanda does the same thing with her bratz in my old dollhouse(if walls could talk! :blink: ) because of the conversations 'the dolls' have with each other! :p

Can I add a few more? :p I love the Anne of Green Gables series. I also love all the old black and white movies, you know, that actually had plots! :blink: And I love the old black and white movie "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"! I think some day I'll base a house totally on that movie! :p

Tracy, If you like stories of knights & castles, I'm sure you've read Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur and/ or Longfellow's Idylls of the King; I was always a King Arthur nut (still am, I keep finding nonfiction books about archeological searches for the historical Arthur.

I love the "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"!! I watched it just about a month ago on TMC channel :p .

I will look into those of those books Lisa & Holly mentioned. I am having a fit cause I am finished reading my books already that I just got this month. :blink:

Now that I think about it, I'm going to see if I can buy that movie and watch it whenever the mood strikes! :blink:

I just bought the book "Chronicles of Narnia". I feel like a 7th grader, but up in Canada it wasn't required reading! I'm looking forward to the movie coming out in December. :p

My favorite movies are the Harry Potter films and books also

now My favorite Arthur is Dean Koontz he does not influence my miniatures but I bet he affects my spooky endeavers for Halloween.

someday I would love to have a castle and a borrowers scene...

nutti :blink:

Favorite movie......."Arsenic and Old Lace". Cary Grant was a riot and yep, I loved the house! And the graveyard next door. And such sweet little old ladies they were too!

My favorite author is Stephen King but I don't think he's going to influence my mini decor. :blink: But a book that *did* fascinate me as a child was called "The Velvet Room". I don't remember who wrote it, but I think I still have a copy of it somewhere. The velvet room was a window seat in the tower of an old house that became a sanctuary for a little girl. The reason I selected the Pierce was because of the little tower room. It reminded me of how much I longed for a tower room to hide in when I was small.

Deb

I just bought the book "Chronicles of Narnia".  I feel like a 7th grader, but up in Canada it wasn't required reading!  I'm looking forward to the movie coming out in December.  :blink:

Oh, the Narinia Chronicles are a pure delight! I loved them as a child and I still occasionally go back and read them as an adult. It's like sitting down and visiting with old friends.

Deb

But a book that *did* fascinate me as a child was called "The Velvet Room".

omgosh!!

I loved that book...soo much in fact I did an ebay search for it one day last year and ordered a copy of it for my daughter...and ohhh wow

the next house Im doing is the McKinnley perhaps it will get the red velvet room I have had in my head since I was 14

thanks for reminding me of this!!

omgosh!!

I loved that book...soo much in fact I did an ebay search for it one day last year and ordered a copy of it for my daughter...and ohhh wow

the next house Im doing is the McKinnley perhaps it will get the red velvet room I have had in my head since I was 14

thanks for reminding me of this!!

A kindred soul!! It's so nice to know that you've passed along the story to your daughter. Do you think back to the book and sigh with happy memories of the first time you read it? I can remember sitting in a tree reading it and loving the whole concept of a special place to hide away. Nutti, you've made my day in sharing the memory of that book........and knowing that someone else is fuflilling the dream of the velvet room in minis.

Deb

My personal "tower room" was actually over a port cochere when my grandparents & I visited my DGM's best friend who had married well & lived in a mansion. That was my favorite room in her huge house, and it was where I found & read John Bunyan's The Pilgrims's Progress the first time.

One of my favourite movies is James Cameron's Titanic and it has inspired me a lot. As a child I loved the films "Casper", "The Addams Family" and Agnieszka Holland's "The Secret Garden" and I still can't stop watching them to be honest! :p They have been also a big inspiration to me and my miniatures. I also love "The Others" with Nicole Kidman, "Amélie", Roberto Benigni's "Life Is Beautiful" and "A Beautiful Mind".

My favorite books are "Destined To Wittness", "This Boy's Life", "The Beach" and two Swedish books by Peter Pohl. But none of them had an influence on my minis! :blink:

Oh, the Narinia Chronicles are a pure delight!  I loved them as a child and I still occasionally go back and read them as an adult.  It's like sitting down and visiting with old friends.

Deb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for bringing this book up, It is in my kids book order for this month and my 10 year old he has problems reading and I was thinking of buying him this book for christmas. As for my favorite movies and books. I will have to say for movies Gone with the Wind,Legends of the Fall,Troy,Under the Tuscan Sun. For my favorite book is Horse Whisper and right now Iam reading a series of books about Native American tribes. So far none of my movies and books reflect anything about my house. I have always loved big Victorian houses and Farm houses.

Lyn :blink:

Hi everyone, I see that they are coming out with the movie, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I absolutely loved those books (Chronicles of Narnia) as a child and I can't wait to see the movie. My all time favorite movie would have to be The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and Madame X. (Wouldn't a court room scene be great). I finally read Peter Pan for the first time just recently and I truly loved it. I had grown up with the movie version but the book was so much more interesting. I also have all the Harry Potter books, loved them. Unfortunately, I can't think of any movie or book that has been an inspiration for my dollhouses.

Wendy

That's why I'm reading the 'Chronicles of Narnia' now. I want to have a "one up" when 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' comes out in December.

Hubby read all the 'Lord of the Rings' books and it helped immensely when we saw the movies. He was able to "fill in the gaps" for me! :blink:

He also read all the 'Harry Potter' books to date, but I've found with them that you can watch the movies and not miss out on anything in the books, they followed them so closely! :p