Carpet and Tile

Anette

Hello Everyone!! As some may know I am currently getting ready to begin building my Arthur. I've searched the forum on carpeting but I'd like to hear it from the pros themselves. :ohyeah:

I don't know if I should order dollhouse carpet or go to Joanns and try to find something I could use for carpet. I don't want my house to look like I just used random fabric for it. I want it to look nice and like a real house with real carpet. :) Has anyone ordered dollhouse carpet online?? What were you happier with the appearance..dollhouse carpet or regular fabric type stuff??

I hate that there are no dollhouse stores in my area because I have to order mostly everything online and I hate waiting for it to come.

Also, with the tile...I guess I have no choice but to order online. Where do you all recommend I get tile from??

Thanks in advance! I'm still a newbie as this is my 2nd house I build. :)

I have found several fabrics that I have used in Dollhouses

upohlstry fabric is very useful for this.

suedes also....just go looking...the dollhouse carpet looks like over priced felt to me.IMHO

as for tile...Greenleaf carries some nice natural colors at the online store

I am using B&W tile for flooring that my DH cut from a full size B&W tile leftover from our kitchen remodel.

hope I was helpful!

Happy Building

nutti :ohyeah:

I use upholstery fabric as I have found the dollhouse carpets do not hold up very well to cleaning. I choose textures and weaves I like. You can carpet a whole house with 1/2 yard as it is usually wide fabric. I made a pretty nice tile floor out of paint samples squares. The store have very large one, I bought home a pile to pick new colors for our family room last year. Of course I did not throw them out. I cut up 3 shades of sage green and made a nice bathroom floor. It turned out they even had peel off sticky backs that I had not notices until I was cutting them up. I glued them to a light card template of the floor and put two coats of spray sealer on the completed floor before installing. It came out pretty nice.

upholstery fabric
I used waleless corduroy for the bedroom carpet in the Coventry Cottage: post-8-1181478662_thumb.jpg
nice tile floor out of paint samples
That's what I used to pave the impluvium in the atrium roombox: gallery_8_8_37337.jpg

I've used some fabrics in my San Franciscan. I also have used scrapbook paper as tile floors in the San Franciscan. I got one of blue tiles at Joann and have seen it there recently again. I just put a seal over it with a gloss to make it look shiny. You can look in my gallery for pictures of the San Franciscan.

Thank you so much everyone!! I feel much better :ohyeah: I think I will run down to Joanns today and see what I can find. So, if I use wallpaper for tile, what is the sealer to make it shiny called??

I am using B&W tile for flooring that my DH cut from a full size B&W tile leftover from our kitchen remodel.

hope I was helpful!

Happy Building

Nutti, for your B&W tile how did he cut it? and what did you use to stick it on with? And will have to check out greenleaf for the other tiles.

Bec

I usually use doll house carpet and tile and I :ohyeah: love it . It works well for me . I have bought one of those little sweeper adjust ments from HBS and it cleans very nice. The ony exception was my haunted house and I used felt which works well.

Nutti, for your B&W tile how did he cut it? and what did you use to stick it on with?

he cut it with a large carpet cutter and I peeled the backing off and stuck it down.

yes we used peel and stick tiles in our kitchen. but we preped our floor. for the dollhouse I did not prep it.

I like using small scale corduroy for carpeting. If you go to a fabric store and look at their selection, some of it can resemble loop carpet.

I've also used Delta's flocked FabriCraft. I love this stuff for carpeting, but I can only find it online. Walmart used to carry it, but doesn't any longer. I did a few houses with this material.

Again, thanks to everyone for their input.

I ended getting some nice fabric remenants at Joanns that I think will look great as carpet. I've updated the blog in my signature with pictures from my Arthur progress that I did today. :blink: As for tile, I actually went to home depot and bought some of that tile with the adhesive on the back. I know the pattern isn't mini but I think it will look cute anyway. We'll just have to see! :)