Miniatures Helped My Personal Life

:wave:Yay for you and your dad both Gina, and thank you so much for sharing with us! This is TOTALLY the right place to share stuff like that for sure!

Gina, thank you for sharing this precious experience with us.

My grandfather was a cabinetmaker in Bohemia. My father worked in wood as a hobby. He passed before I started doing minis. I miss terribly not being able to share the joy I receive from my own mini woodworking with him.

My heart swells with happiness for you and your father. {{{hugggssss}}}

You know, I had a similar experience with my dad, though our relationship is a little better than what you described. But he seemed to only care about things I did that he could brag about - like getting my degree, working at an Ivy League university, etc. He was very upset when I quit my job to be a stay-at-home mom. When I was a kid if I got an "A" he would ask "How come it's not an A-plus?"

Anyway, he has shown the same kind of enthusiasm for my dollhouses. He just gets the biggest kick out of it all and is so amazed that I made them. It really is a bonding thing for us. Maybe it has to do with perfectionism... doing these things on a small scale really impresses those perfectionist fathers?

Anyway, I'm so glad that you had this experience with your dad. Thank you so much for sharing that story. It's encouraging to know that there is more to this hobby than just satisfying our creative urges - although that is enough by itself to justify the time and money IMO!