5/27/07 Rudest Comment about Your Minis

My significant other has made several negative comments about my miniature houses since I got back into making them. I felt very upset about that but kept it to myself. Some people are just not creative and do not appreciate time and space and money wasting. ( I don't consider my hobbies any of that). It it wasn't for my hobbies and interests I would be ready for a rubber room. They keep my mind and spirit active and happy. The space issue was also brought up and since I live alone in my Own house I thought the comment was pretty funny. I think people who make comments are jealous. :)

Gals,, If you think you got it rough - try being a guy in this hobby , I never had any negative comments- but I had the feeling from people when they learn you are working on a dollhouse. that I must have been run over by a turnip truck- but I used to that I have been doing interior decorating for many years back when guys didn't do thing like that. I did a lot of show home work I did 99% of the work my self including the floral arrangements .. the best part was to sit back and watch the reaction from people when they found out who was behind it.. a guy who is just as comfortable building floral arrangement, working on the car, fishing, repairing the kitchen faucet, or doing anything else a " REAL MAN "is suppose to do.. you will find my fishing rod right next to my last dollhouse. but the bottom line is it all worth it to see the look on someone's face young or old, male or female when they see a "dollhouse" for the first time. I am also very lucky I have a very under standing wife.. one last word to all you guys out there try it you mite like it. I know I do.. and please don't past judgment until you do...

wow Roy! I personally love the shows and seeing men doing the whole thing along with wives and in Denver I had my booth space next to Jim Polder who does the most amazing lamps I have ever seen! I love it! I also have a friend of my husband's, a guy who prides himself on his wood working skills. Has a huge shop for his machines and tools....when he first saw my gypsy wagons and little wood things I make he was immediately sucked in! I could see his mind just clicking away with intrigue! He even offered to help cut out a bunch of pieces for my kits last year so there are men out there and personally I love that aspect of miniatures, that some of the best artists are men.

Caps are for the pronounced emphasis that I hear in their voices ....

I've gotten all the usual "what are you going to DO with all that STUFF?" and "how can you spend that much money on THAT?" and "are you ever going to get rid of that STUFF?"

And then from my grown kids - "what are WE going to DO with all that STUFF?"

I tell them that, at least, it keeps me out of their hair !!

:lol: I can foresee a large dumpster parked outside the house after I die and the thousands of dollars of wonderful valuable "STUFF" lying smashed in pieces waiting to be drug away. I try not to think about it because it breaks my heart but I'm sure that will be the final outcome. :(

Some of my grandkids have had passing interests in it but who knows what they will think by the time they are grown and doing their own things. With them it's a longshot because life has so many options for them.

I recently came across this quote. I'm thinking of putting it up on the wall near my miniatures and my many other arts and crafts to aid those in need of speaking negatively about my hobbies.

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

• Like 1

My DH hid behind the line, "A real man does whatever it takes to make his wife happy, if that means building her a dollhouse, and being her hero, then bring on the kit!" I heard him tell off one of his friends wives, when she suggested him building my Strawberry Patch, and choosing the paint colors, was a very "feminine undertaking."

As for what will happen to my houses, after I pass, it's already agreed that each child will pick one if they want it, and the rest will be sold off. DH says one will go on my grave, after he weathers it, and he intends to keep the cabin in my memorey, 'cause dollhouses, were me.

Haven't really had any negative comments - maybe because I keep it to myself most of the time.

Visitors just assume its for my granddaughter - that's acceptable.

Son is very supportive - don't know if he'd want to keep anything after I die though - I'd like to think so.

I have been doing mini's for a couple years now, and didn't really get a rude comment that bothered me until recently - I am making a wedding scene for a gal I work with who loves minis, but does not have any. A co-worker said to me 'you talking abut minis again? I am SO over it'. She has said that a few times. I was hurt, but didn't let her know that. If she says it again, I will just tell her it is something I share with my friends.

And then from my grown kids - "what are WE going to DO with all that STUFF?"

Make a will, and and list people you want to leave your miniatures to. My daughter, although she doesn't do miniatures, loves them and dollhouses. I know my stuff will be in safe hands.

DH delivers our packages to the PO every day. He's about 6'5", and the guys behind the counter asked him how a big guy like him got into selling dollhouse furniture.

Nowadays, if faced by someone who thinks dollhouses are just toys, I explain that it's actually a form of artistic expression, just like painting or sculpture. That usually makes them see it in a whole different light.

Laughing at Wolfie...that was a GOOD ONE!

The rudest comment I've had was when someone thought my house was SO fascinating they took interest in how much some of the items inside cost. Although I really thought it was NONE of their business, I wanted to brag on my chandelier. It's the most beautiful piece and I love it; when I told her how much I paid for it, she was like, "YOU PAID WHAT FOR THAT LITTLE THING? OMG, You ARE crazy."

That's okay though, because I feel sorry for her; she doesn't have anything to treasure!

I had loaned my magazine article for making a 1:12 "Tin Lizzie" to Mike and just got it back, and DH began to look at it, and I mentioned I really wanted to try making it for Mildred; he just finished reading it and had "that" look in his eye... I'm perfectly willing to let him make minis, too!

I didn't get any real rude comments on my hobby('s) although the family from my husband always want to see my hobby room to comment on the rubbish there. I must admit they are right but as long as it doesn't bother me ......

I have comments from people who really like me having a hobby and are sorry for themselves because they can't find something to loose themselves in. I have found it's difficult for some people to really enjoy something without that having a real reason to be done. A good friend of mine who was brought up in a home with a sick mother who she helped from an early age on, and a very strongminded dad, has this problem now her children are out of the house and her husband died. But she's never inpleasant about my hobby.

I do remember the time when I had a meeting and saw a collegae look at the pink paint on my hand. I apologised because I was painting the walls this weekend and didn't get it al off. He said you painted your walls pink :congrats::congrats: , I said yes, something like that. Ofcourse it was my dollhouse wich got painted pink :D

The rudest comment I've had was when someone thought my house was SO fascinating they took interest in how much some of the items inside cost. Although I really thought it was NONE of their business, I wanted to brag on my chandelier. It's the most beautiful piece and I love it; when I told her how much I paid for it, she was like, "YOU PAID WHAT FOR THAT LITTLE THING? OMG, You ARE crazy."

All right everyone, let's get out our brooms and beat her with them! (all right, we'll be nice and use the Mini brooms :congrats: )

• 2 months later...

Worst comment I ever heard was "flame on." I've got a wife and two kids. I've also gotten the "you've got too much time on your hands." If I had too much time on my hands I would have built my houses in 6 months, not 6 years. Then again, my own mother has called my paintings "roach feed." Making comments without knowing what one is talking about is a good way of showing one's ignorance.

Guys who build plastic model kits don't get flack for building them, but building a miniature house is somehow different? I thought it was little kids who had the stereotypes that "cooking is for girls," etc. But I guess I was wrong.

• Like 1

...this wasn't really rude, but I showed a piece of furniture I had made to a friend of my DW's. The piece was completely finished & the woman asked, :lol: with a perplexed look on her face, "You're going to paint it right?" I guess the shabby chic paint job confused her?

On another note & this is probably more offensive to me - I guess people hear the word dollhouse & assume you're just playing around? (well I am playing, but not 'just' playing :idea: )

My EX-boyfriend (note the EX) once referred to my House of Miniatures collection as "all of that dollhouse crap!" Needless to say, this did not go over well as I was very proud that I had managed to collect an entire set.....this took quite sometime and a good bit of money. I tried not to let it bother me because I love my hobby; and quite frankly I find it to be quite challenging at times and requiring a great deal of talent. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Stereotyping hobbies, like stereotyping occupations, is the process of a shallow mind expressing its ignorance. My DS#3 sums it up this way: "Better to keep silent and be presumed to be ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

• Like 3

I have been doing mini's for a couple years now, and didn't really get a rude comment that bothered me until recently - I am making a wedding scene for a gal I work with who loves minis, but does not have any. A co-worker said to me 'you talking abut minis again? I am SO over it'. She has said that a few times. I was hurt, but didn't let her know that. If she says it again, I will just tell her it is something I share with my friends.

Miniatures are classified as Artisitic Expression! Anyone who doesn't understand that is to be pitied. If the above-mentioned "friend" is "SO over it" then she is not an artist. Her interest in minis was a passing fancy; just like a little girl with her toys. Artistic talent takes many forms and recreating real life in miniature is one of them. :groucho:

• 4 weeks later...

"But what do you do with them?"

"Oh that would make a neat porch decoration."

"Don't you have anything better to do?"

Those are some of my favorites. My replies were tailored to each person and situation, and most of them contained an explicative in a sweet, little voice. I will spare you the naughty bits. :D

Another one, "Aren't you a little old to be playing with dolls?"

My answer is generally, "I'm younger than you."

Edited by MiniKat

I often hear "What do you do with them?". I breathe, smile, and murmur something appropriate. Unless they're truly interested, I don't like to waste my time and breath explaining!

Then there's the dreaded "Good for you!" As if I'm somehow "slow" and must be patted on the back for having an interest, no matter how "childish". They're trying to be nice, but it's rather insulting.

"Good for you!" is right up there with "Good job!!" - as if I were a toddler who just had a successful potty chair moment. You're right, Rosalind, all you can do is take a deep breath, smile, and move on. They'll never, ever understand....and never, ever know what they're missing!