McKinley

mysallyb

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solution is to just slap a bit of white piant or sealer over the tape before installing the paper and it hides just find.

this is good to know!

I also will try and wire my Mckinley following Darrells diagram

and that wire is on the wall one inch up? or so

and I need to know how Tracy made her attic all one room!

need to know this because dont want to do the attic any other way!

wasnt until after all the talk about it and seeing photos made me wish my Victorianna was like that...more room for goodies!

ok gotta gooo

nutti :lol:

Grumble grumble.

Yes, I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I'd have put those tapes on first. I'm so used to having practically unlimited options on where to run tapes, it never occurred to me just HOW different this house was. Usually there are HOLES in between the floors where the stairs go. TAPE wire can go UP or DOWN there. And usually there are LOTS n LOTS of windows. Tape wire can go IN or OUT there.

Now before anyone says anything running tape in and around and out and around in a BAY type window just doesn't work as well. To many bends, twists and turns which makes it hard to get the tape stuck down nice and secure and FLAT. So eliminating those windows there's ONE usable hole on the first floor which is the doorway. On the second floor there's ONE bathroom window that's usable. That's it. And the stairs don't REALLLY connect the first and second floor so there's no hole there.

(BTW if one looks closely, for the people to get upstairs where they cannot really go, they have to walk THROUGH a solid chimney. Hope they've got their breathing apparatus handy). LOL! I don't mind that though.

So here's what I'm going to have to do. And I'm NOT happy because it drastically increased the number of CONNECTIONS I have to make and also nearly DOUBLES the amount of tape I'm going to have to use. And even then I'm having to drill and cut HOLES in the house for the tape to get from place to place. One hole will be under and behind the stairs/fireplace. This is where power comes IN as well as right back OUT to get to other places. LOL! I'm cutting a hole behind the shelf unit in the bathroom which I had sort of decided not to use but now have to use it or something to hide the hole. Mel has spendy plans for the attic whcih should easily hide any hole I put up there. OH, and to make matters worse we didn't like the door where it was in the kitchen so we SEALED it up and decided we didn't really NEED a door into the kitchen so there's another hole for my tape that's missing. GRIN!

So once again, I say I REALLY REALLY wish I'd have run those tapes on the inside backing piece first. I'm just not used to working on a house where one entire side of it is solid and the floors are also all solid. Now I know what to watch out for. Live and learn.

Darrell

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the house. But the good thing is you've already figured out how to fix it. I on the other hand would have been screaming for help (probably from you, cause your tape wire tutorial was so helpful in wiring myLily) LOL

Good luck and here's wishing you lots of patience with all those extra teeny tiny brads you'll have to use. (them being brass, it wouldn't even help having a big magnet around to help catch them)

Please take pictures, need to see how you run the wire out of the extra holes you make.

Peggi

Thaks Peggi,

Oh I was trying the cuss words in all different sorts of order but no matter how I rearranged them it was apparant I was STILL going to have to do it the other way. LOL!

It's not gonna be pretty. BUT luckily one of the things I LOVE about tape wiring is it's easy to hide/cover etc. So it's not gonna show once it's done.

The main reason I run a tape around all the walls one inch above the floor is based on electrical standards in homes TODAY. While there are exceptions in older homes and in places like kitchens and baths, the "standard" height for plugs in a home is one foot from the floor. Many older homes will have these in OTHER locations. But this works well, because it's low enough to put plugs behind furniture, and high enough so our HUGE hands can plug and unplug things easily without being bothered because it's on the floor or in a corner. AND, of course it matches the "standard".

But I've got a heavy work schedule this week so progress may be slow.

smiles,

Darrell

well the kit has made it out of the closet.

and now I have to make a spot for it...still cleaning up after the last 2 houses.

did get all my Halloween supplies back into the rubbermaid container. so now all I have to do is put up the material and the plants and everything else that found its way to my worktable. what a mess.

and now on top of all this I will be watching the Pixiepoo in the mornings so mom and dad can work.

to all of you with multiple houses...what do you do with the boxes?

so far I have stored mine. as each one has something I may need in it later...lol probably not. should I punch out the peices and ziploc them and put all the bags in one box? I really could use a suggestion...closet is getting full.

nutti :blink:

we keep the boxes and their parts until the house is fully assembled. (No house is ever truly finished, but we do get to a point where it's pretty much as BUILT as it's gonna get) Any remaining pieces are punched out, labled and put in zip lock bags. Scrap parts of usable wood are dumped into our scrap wood box. We file the instructions and parts schematics. And we take a picture of the cover of the box.

We still keep a lot but that takes down the needed space a little bit.

Darrell

Updated the McKinley blog again with yet more electrical pictures. Main reason I'm taking so many pictures of this is to show the versatility of how to wire a dollhouse. It doesn't have to be done this way, it's just the way I'm doing this one. I wanted to show that there is really no limit to HOW you can run the tape wires and as we progress you'll see it totally disappear.

The DIFFERENCE of this house has presented me with some new challenges. And I really like that.

Darrell

Hey Darrell tysvm for all the help so far!

I have just updated my blog with what I have done so far on the Mckinley

spent 2 hours on it today.

I am at step C with basic wiring that works!!

woohoo

now to the porch.

nutti :D

Nutti,

It looks GREAT! See? Not that hard at all is it?

Now, having anticipated your question, tonight we installed a fixture on a "finished" ceiling to a tape wire ON the ceiling. Sorry but I will not have time to post those pictures tonight but will get them onlne tomorrow evening.

We also met another "challenge" in wiring this evening. Mel wanted a little light in the teeny tiny "faux" hallway BEHIND the hall on the second floor. This was fun. And we managed to get that one done and working too.

And finally, we added ONE outlet to the second floor bedroom to plug a lamp into.

There will be pictures of course of all of these. They'll be added to my webshots electrification album as well.

So everyone, if you have any problems with wiring and I'm not available and you need some quicker help, just ask nutti. She's pro now. GRIN!

Darrell

Well we're gonna put a light by our front door. Well not actually BY it. ABOVE it, is where it's going. I'm glad to see you're enjoying honing your new skill nutti.

I don't want to turn the McKinley blog into a wiring blog, but I DID update my webshots electrification album today. I put in pictures and descriptions of three things.

1 - Installing a socket to plug a lamp into.

2 - A method of installing a ceiling fixture to a tape wire actually ON the ceiling without drilling holes to a floor above.

and 3 - Installing a light in an inaccesible area (as far as electrifying is concerned). I put a light into the teeny little fake hallway behind the hallway on the second floor. I didn't want the little people to trip and fall down the stairs in the dark. We won't talk about the fact that they would have to fall through a solid wall and through a chimney to get to the stairs. LOL!

And Melissa has been down with a cold now that she's gotten over the flu. She managed to stay well for almost an entire day. Maybe part of a second one. sigh. But she still worked on trying to fix our fireplace since we're not happy with it.

Darrell

Darrell

as a newbie it is so great for me to find the wiring tips for this house.

you should not worry about being a wiring blogg

because the blogs are ment to be helpful to others comming after who will want to build and electrify this particular house.

being on a wall makes this house perfect for lighting as it really will make it a show peice.

give Melissa big huggzzz for me tell her get well and stay that way.

oh and drink some cranberry juice. its got lots of good stuff in it.

now Im off to blog tonights attempts at getting something done!

nutti :D

• 3 weeks later...

I am not happy with my wallpaper!

this dern house keeps changing its mind. the living room and kitchen just flying togeher...well Im trying to keep it slow so I can get something from the house!

SOON!!

I love the downstairs! post-9-1133371585.gif

but the upstairs is makin me sad/mad

ok back to work! ;) :)

Im such a slave driver!

I have been having trouble insralling baseboard and especially crown moulding. First I put them in and they looked horrible, due to my lack of mitering and installing skills. This is a job for Darrell, but He insits I learn how. I ripped out my first attempt and hope to finish installing it today> So far I am happy with the color of the house and the wallpaper. I am hoping to finish the front door and bay windows, over the next two days, before installing the porch. I think it may be easier to reach it now.

Melissa

I was just thinking the same thing about the windows and door.

I have my kitchen bay finished. will blog after I take photos

Im trying to keep the decorating secret. still not ready to share

I have the attic tower finished and ready for something. also having problems with this area. not sure how I want to decorate and the roof is arguing with its self.

does it want a kit roof or does it want to be open....maybe Ill do minimalist look.

hmmmmm a small idea is forming.

ok Im back to work...trying the wrapping papers in the house to see if this is direction I want to pursue. the bedroom paper I am almost happy with.

due to my lack of mitering and installing skills

you really do this?

I just butt mine together. but I think if I knew how to do it better or differently I would. I havent asked you know(DH) as he would just lol at me.

so when he does the kids house maybe Ill learn how than.

for now Im just happy its up.

I just wish I would have papered the ceiling before installing it :lol:

do you ever get the feeling Im just following myself around in circles fixing things as I go?

nutti :)

Huh! Last time Jimmy "insisted" that I learn something was when he insisted that I learn how to clean the pool. So, I insisted that he learn to do his own laundry, his own cooking, his own cleaning, his own shopping for all his clothing and his Christmas gifts for people and ...

He never brought it up again, and I have never cleaned the pool.

Actually Darrell insisting is due to my lack of patience. I am sick and tired of waiting for him to do somthing to a house I want built. When he gets home from work he is too tired to work on it, On his days off he is often too busy to help me. So his insisting is just engouragement for me to learn to do it my self. Then I will not have to wait for someone else and I can work on the house when I want to Not when he wants to (which is usually when I am trying to fix dinner).

Melissa

• 3 weeks later...