What do you DO with your dollhouses?

heidiiiii

What do I do with the houses? If it was not built for a grandchild, they sit on the table I can play with them. I take pictures and put on my FB page for my friends to enjoy. I have supportive friends that just love the houses and all the ity things I find/buy. I am working on something now (not the barn) as a surprise for a former co-worker's granddaughter. I hope the little one likes it. Grandpa spoils her, so it's a good thing.

A for the relative that was a total jerk, you are a sweeter person than I am. That person is just plain jealous of your and your child's talent. I won't type what I would have said to the person.

Do I have total support from my spouse? No, but then after 31 years with him, who cares. They are MINE, I work all day on them now that I am retired and that's just the way it's going to be. He has his job and phone so he is happy.

• Like 2

Do I have total support from my spouse? No, but then after 31 years with him, who cares. They are MINE, I work all day on them now that I am retired and that's just the way it's going to be. He has his job and phone so he is happy.

HaHaaahahahaaa you crack me up, you go girl! :D:D:D:D

Gee, I can appreciate that. They should not have told you private information. Did you mention that to them at the time? On the other hand, I would hope that people would not encourage people not to tell their doctor such and so. Doctors are there to help you get your life back on track. How do you do that if you don't feel free to open up? Some people actually do need a counselor. This life can be very traumatizing. Please don't think I'm trying to attack you personally. I simply don't agree with discouraging people from seeking help when they need it.

CheckMouse, nice catch. And thank you for responding in my place. (I've been other wise distracted recently. :p)

Yes. I'm (also) PTSD. I don't know where I'd be without my Drs. They help keep me on track and I'm grateful to them (I should also say, that I'm doing well enough, I'm seeing my counselor less and less). I'm grateful to my dog, who is my right hand man. I'm grateful for hobbies to occupy my mind and is therapeutic. They all work together to strengthen me and make life encouraging.

"Creative expression is one of the best forms of therapy..." my counselor said the same thing for months. I didn't know until I chose to pick up a pencil though. ;)

Yeah, Rodent! Woohoo!

"I'm always so excited when I talk about my minis that it's overwhelmingly evident that I'd take a swing at any one who said any thing bad about it." :clap:HAHA! You go girl!

I was complaining earlier that there are no (dollhouse or horse) miniature stores in my area- only train and war. I am blessed in this, though. My husband doesn't complain about my hobbies. He takes part in it. His area is train. (So he has a store in our area and I don't. Phtb on him! :p) LOL.

• Like 1

I converted my DH to miniaturism too. He does 1:36 scale military and gaming dioramas and he's pretty good at it. http://www.debsminis.com/bruce_roberts.htm He has his own studio set up and even made himself a mini paint booth for the airbrush. We share tools and he's developed such a good eye for minis that he often finds treasures before I do if we're out shopping. He was actually the first one to say, "You love miniature stuff so you should get a dollhouse." and then went on to reassure me when I expressed doubt about whether or not I could build one. My original intention was to buy a finished dollhouse and decorate it but then I saw all the kits and that's when Bruce started encouraging me to go for it. At one point I had 26 dollhouses on display and he was the first to show them off when someone stopped by. (His friends are totally fascinated by them) I'm very lucky to have his support but even luckier to share the love of minis with him. Couples who create together have a unique bond.

<giggling> I'm not going to dwell on the doctor issue or what people think but I have a funny story. I was reading thru my records from my neurologist one day and found this comment, "Patient has green streaks in her hair but she also has green fingernails and is wearing a green shirt so it appears to be fashion related". hehehehehehe That struck me as SO funny. And he wasn't being snarky either. Part of his job is to evaluate the appearance of stroke patients for any signs of dementia so his observation was medically necessary as well as accurate. In other words, it wasn't normal behavior for a woman my age, but he made sure to note that it was a conscious decision based on my personality. LOL!!! He thought my dollhouse hobby was cool and I thought his hobby of raising llamas for wool to support his knitting habit was pretty cool too. Everyone has an interesting passion in life.

• Like 1

I have been a lurker on this thread. Just had to add this observation into why I have my collection of miniatures and dollhouses. I can Not control my life or the lives of

my children or grand children,they are all grown up with all the complexities of 2014. But, my dollhouses, I kinda control the shapes, colors ,textures, ....... Guess it is

a form of therapy for me. My creativity can flow. And if anyone asks, I enjoy what I do and that ain't bad.

:bear: Bear agrees.

• Like 1

<giggling> I'm not going to dwell on the doctor issue or what people think but I have a funny story. I was reading thru my records from my neurologist one day and found this comment, "Patient has green streaks in her hair but she also has green fingernails and is wearing a green shirt so it appears to be fashion related".

This is hysterical!!! I love it!

I also love that your DH is so supportive. Mine has recently gotten into woodworking so I 'recruited' him to make a table for the Victorian. I think it's gotten him a little excited to get going on that and see it in use once the walls are up. :)

I have been a lurker on this thread. Just had to add this observation into why I have my collection of miniatures and dollhouses. I can Not control my life or the lives of

my children or grand children,they are all grown up with all the complexities of 2014. But, my dollhouses, I kinda control the shapes, colors ,textures, ....... Guess it is

a form of therapy for me. My creativity can flow. And if anyone asks, I enjoy what I do and that ain't bad.

:bear: Bear agrees.

I have come to the conclusion that, for me at least, my mini-world is something I can control - in a real-world that is so often out of control. My little people would never shoot each other; all the children in the yard at the Mountain Retreat are safe and happy; and Grandma's Ghost at the Cabin in the Woods will never be exorcised. :) I can ease my spirit and restore my sanity by creating beauty in miniature. Yes, it's therapeutic and I enjoy it - what more could we ask? :bear: Bear definitely agrees.