What do you DO with your dollhouses?

heidiiiii

That is an interesting Question.... I read this the day you posted it and it took me this long to come up with an answer.!

I build, decorate & enjoy them !

Just like people display Precious Moments, Decorative Plates, and so forth.! I dont see a difference other than the fact that I can make that house the way I want it.!

Heidi, I agree my heart has skipped a beat when I see someone at Hobby Lobby in the mini section, I actually try to start a conversation and have been very disappointed to find out that they are NOT interested but their Grandchild plays with the stuff.! :wave: I just want a mini friend close to me that like to Make the minis !!

Kellee

• Like 1

Heidi...this was a great question...

Since I still haven't completed my first house yet, it's funny, but I was thinking the other day while I was looking at it, "What am I going to do with this when it's done?" After pondering for a while about where I'm going to put it (still don't know) and then it dawned on me...I can't imagine myself ever really being finished with it. I know the way I am too..after I'll be completely "done" with it, I'll look at it the next day and say, "You know, I really don't like this piece of furniture here, or maybe I can add...." I just know that's what is going to happen. I rearrange things in my own house all the time, what's going to stop me from doing it to my mini (it's easier and cheaper too).

Then, I read these posts and thought, "Wow, I'm not the only one that thinks this way...." I guess we are special breed.... :wave:

~Tina

Lately I've spent a lot of time in front of ours with baby drinking coffee. :roflmao:

She keeps forgetting to put milk and sugar in mine and those TINY cups don't hold very much! :wave:

The rest of the time is spent taking non 12th scale things out of it :angry: and planning the next addition or alteration.

Cheers

Glen

• 6 years later...

Luanne, thanks for resurrecting this thread! Started in 2007 and still very relevant!

I get asked this a lot. Some family members have asked my DH what I do with the houses. I heard him tell someone the other day that I plan to sell them, which is true. I've given them away and will sell them, and someone recently asked if I build them as commissions, and I'm open to that too. But I also keep them and look at them. The staring and thinking, thinking, thinking is one of the most relaxing pastimes in addition to the building and decorating. I used to write fiction, and that interest has reemerged, with some of my more recent builds (and future ones) taking on lives and stories of their own.

This is such a multifaceted hobby, I really can't imagine NOT doing it anymore. I find myself more and more seeing how things go together, how I can make something that previously I would have bought, how a house can be changed. I love the process. It's therapeutic, satisfying and great escapism. :D

• Like 1

I gave away the first two dollhouses I made.....so this Garfield is going to be MINE......to play with :D no one is getting it till I die.........

I love to make and sell things but I am too slow to make dollhouses to sell. I love the Escapism part of the hobby. When I read that article about that wealthy woman that died and was "eccentric" about dollhouses, someone in the article said something about hmm did she have a God complex? what is that??? lol.......a control issue? lol

If and when I ever get the Garfield done, i will probably spend many hours looking at it......maybe re arranging things. I don't see how they can ever really be "done" .........I think we have to "stop" to get to work on another house :cheers:

We had two customers in the shop last week one was new to the dolls house world and the other one had at least one house

New customer I had know idea you could get so much

Old customer I have been collecting for a long time

New customer do you just buy things and put them in the house

Old customer yes but I never sure where they are going to end up in the house because every time somebody walk pass the house they move an item around the house its more a live then my Owen house

New customer I had no idea you could get so much

Old customer yes but I never sure where they are going to end up in the house because every time somebody walk pass the house they move an item around. The house its more alive than my own house

I like to see the look on the face of someone new to miniatures when he or she learns that one can find anything for a dolls house that one can have in a real house -- at generally twice the price. :)

• Like 2

My daughter lives in the Portland, OR area and recently took her hubby and a friend to the Portland Miniature Show. I think their chins hit the floor the second they entered the room! LOL My daughter called me, all excited about a vendor she had found....but had "lost" her husband along the way- surely enticed away from her by some miniature marvel. :D Wished I could have been there to see the wonder in their eyes!

• Like 1

Heidi this is a great thread! I like to look at mine, rearrange them, add things to them....I moved about a year or so ago and I sold, gave away or stored all my houses. I only have three of the 14 left and they are still packed in their moving crates. I started over a couple of weeks ago with the quarter scale village and I have them sitting up on the bookshelf. I enjoy looking at them and thinking how I will set up the village for Christmas. It IS very good therapy! Thanks for posting this!!!

My daughter lives in the Portland, OR area and recently took her hubby and a friend to the Portland Miniature Show. I think their chins hit the floor the second they entered the room! LOL My daughter called me, all excited about a vendor she had found....but had "lost" her husband along the way- surely enticed away from her by some miniature marvel. :D Wished I could have been there to see the wonder in their eyes!

There's a Portland Miniature Show? When? Where? Is it a large one? The one in Seattle is sort of puny - only one room.

As to what I do with my house, I do just what I did when I was a child with my metal dollhouses. I move the furniture around, I make up stories about the inhabitants, and I play with it. I built it, so I figure I have the right to do that. If anyone thinks it's childish, just let THEM come in and put the &*^%$ shingles on it!

• Like 1

While several people have touched on my favorite part of the dh world, I want to SHOUT! THERAPY! Yes, I play with my dollhouses. But, every piece I build or buy, I do so with ONE thing in mind. Therapy. If it makes me feel happy, at peace, inspired, anything positive, it's a winner. I can sit and stare at a project for hours. I love to move stuff around, paint it different colors, just enjoy. I feel like dollhouses are one of the best hobbies in the world. Now please, don't anyone get upset with me here. I have TOTAL respect for other hobbies and interests. Many I am going to mention I have been passionate about myself. But.......think about it. People laugh at our love of miniatures. They get us to justify the time and money. Then, these are the things they call 'mature' and worthwhile. Spending hundreds, even thousands of dollars.....a month, on restaurants, clothes, make up, hair, fingernails, cars, redecorating their RL home constantly, and yes, that is just a few things on that list. Oh, and THERAPY! That's hundreds per hour. Some people go every week and never even try a hobby instead/in addition to. Dollhouses are a healthy, happy and if you choose wisely, economical hobby/healthy support system.

• Like 2

I've given all mine away-- with the exception of my contest builds, all my houses/roomboxes have been for a specific person (niece/family/friend). I did take a couple of my older contest builds (gutted, of course :p ) to the local thrift store the other week; I am simply running out of room on top of the storage boxes in my craft room! I enjoy all my builds but when I'm done building, I'm done with the house and ready for a new challenge. :bear:

• Like 1

I compare my dollhouse to a fine painting that one would purchase for a home. My dollhosue is my work of art from my own fantacies. I like to move things around and rearrange settings. I have redone lighting in a few of the rooms. I love to just sit and look at my beautiful piece. It is a treasure. I just plain like to play with it. I am already dreaming of my next house - the Woodstock. Where do I put them? Anywhere I want to feature them. I cannot wait to decorate for Christmas. I have all the ingredients. I agree with above posts that only other mini people would understand.

Hoy Boy am I hopping mad right now. :blowup:

This whole deal of "what do you DO with your miniature" played out in living color about an hour ago here. If it had been directed at me, I'd blow it off but someone just badgered the living daylights out of Twinkle as they watched her working so hard on her SF. They kept at her no matter what answer the poor girl gave, they'd ask it again - "No but REALLY what are you ever going to DO with it".

I tried my best to intervene but they were on a roll. I eventually got the conversation changed but not after becoming so upset I can hardly see straight. :taz: You are doing this to a child, how can you possibly think this is encouraging to someone who has had such a tough life thus far.

What is with people and miniatures - this person seemed to think she needed to be able to do something else with it as if she had built a bookcase and now it had a secondary use for it of holding books. Since the miniature doesn't have a secondary purpose, thus it's no good - in this persons eyes. It's just clutter. That's what she said - to a child working hard to enter the SF. Gr-r-r-r !!!!

Off my soapbox and slinking back to my cave... :surrender:

• Like 1

She is heartbroken and lots of tears - wonders why this person doesn't like what she's doing.

We have talked for a long time and I just sent her outdoors to go play with her siblings in the fresh air.

It's a nice kite flying day so I thought maybe she could run it out of her system on a physical level.

It's just so terrible - and from a family member that had stopped to visit us.

You are much more adult than I am Selkie,as I would probably be in jail now,awaiting bail! Not really,but that's what I'd be tempted to face! Poor Twinkle-some people can be such fools/idiots/jerks when it comes to a young person's feelings... We are used to this rudeness about our choice of hobby,but a child....geez! I just hope she feels better soon and learns that some people just aren't worth allowing herself to get upset over! Hugs to her and you!

Wow Selkie! It's bad enough when we adults have to deal with the insensitivity of others about this hobby that brings us such joy, but for somebody to actively undermine a child in this way is clueless and cruel. I'd be just as outraged as you, in fact that was my immediate response. But I think this might be a great opportunity to teach Twinkie how important it is to ignore those that would discourage her, even family members, and to focus on the positive and what she gets out of it. If she enjoys this hobby and wants to keep learning and doing then by all means, she should do it!

Let Twinkie know there's a whole group of us here looking forward to seeing her work and ideas! :D

• Like 1

You are much more adult than I am Selkie,as I would probably be in jail now,awaiting bail! Not really,but that's what I'd be tempted to face! Poor Twinkle-some people can be such fools/idiots/jerks when it comes to a young person's feelings... We are used to this rudeness about our choice of hobby,but a child....geez! I just hope she feels better soon and learns that some people just aren't worth allowing herself to get upset over! Hugs to her and you!

Wow Selkie! It's bad enough when we adults have to deal with the insensitivity of others about this hobby that brings us such joy, but for somebody to actively undermine a child in this way is clueless and cruel. I'd be just as outraged as you, in fact that was my immediate response. But I think this might be a great opportunity to teach Twinkie how important it is to ignore those that would discourage her, even family members, and to focus on the positive and what she gets out of it. If she enjoys this hobby and wants to keep learning and doing then by all means, she should do it!

Let Twinkie know there's a whole group of us here looking forward to seeing her work and ideas! :D

What did Twinkle have to say about it when the wicked person was gone?

Thank you for your support and encouragement. I have passed on your thoughts to Twinkle. She appreciates your kind words.

After she had been outdoors for a while and had a fresh apple from our neighbors orchard, she was ready to come back in and work some more. We had another chat about it at that time. It's so hard to explain to a young person how and why people can be so rude and thoughtless. She has major trust issues as it is and this kind of thing sure doesn't help. She knows that our GL family cares about her minis and hopefully she can complete her entry for the SF. School and homework are putting a crunch in her time schedule but unfortunately I don't have a lot of control over that. She's such a great kid and has some really great talents.

I'm calmer now but still just as mad inside. I'm debating whether to bring it up to this adult on my own or just let it go. Probably I'll try to move on because I know it won't change anything and I don't want to create yet another issue. Thanks again for all your encouragement my dear friends.

Selkie, your relative is an insensitive jerk and probably needs to be kept away from Twinkle. When I brought hand-knit and crocheted gift items to DS#1's wife & daughter, HER mother used to ask me why I didn't do this sort of thing to sell; I told her I earned enough money as a nurse (she was also a RN) and my hobbies were what I did for myself, and what I did with the things I made were directed by my heart. She didn't "get it".

• Like 1